[OT] "The Beer Summit"

PASabreFan

OK all you beerophiles, the president just sat down with the black professor, the white cop and the even whiter vice president.

According to the breathless breaking news coverage, here were their respective beer choices:

The president was drinking Bud Light, Biden was drinking Buckler, Gates was drinking Samuel Adams Light and Crowley was drinking Blue Moon.

Whose beer was best? What do the choices say about the men? If you were invited to sit in the Rose Garden and pound one down with the prez, what beer would you ask for?

Biden was drinking Buckler

What do the choices say about the men?

Joe is a recovering alcoholic? (Buckler is N/A)

If you were invited to sit in the Rose Garden and pound one down with the prez, what beer would you ask for?

Weihenstephaner Vitus, if it's Summer.

Franziskaner Dunkel Hefe-Weisse, if it's Winter.

No, scratch that. If I'm going to the Rose Garden, I'm taking a bottle of Genny Cream Ale! :thumbsup:

Well If I'm not mistaken the only one of those beer's not owned by the international mega beer company's is sam adams. Even though it's a light beer they started out in the true american entreprenurial spirit as a microbrew so I would have to go with gates on the pure american choice. PS. American micro brews now brew some of the best beer anywhere in the world. My choice would have been Rogue dead guy or ruination from Stone brewing...

Am I the only one who has never heard of Buckler?

I think Buckler is a Holland beer made by Heineken. My wife has been drinking it lately. Its actually not bad at all. I had on last week when it was sweltering after I mowed the yard.

BTW I just picked up a case of Celis Grand Cru. It is a great beer made by the Michigan brewing Co. Treat yourself sometime and check it out. 8% ABV!

Obama's choice: Bud Light. Solid, cheap, formerly American beer. They might be foreign owned, but it still bleeds red, white and blue (only slightly less than PBR) and announces "Why yes, I do watch sports."

Biden's choice: NA beer? Really Joe? I expected better from you sir. Like a 22 of Steel Reserve or a Coors. But NA beer? Not MY Vice President.

Gates' choice: Good decision. A solid, American, craft brewed beer. Sam Adam's Light is one of the best Light beers you can buy. I am also slightly surprised that St. Ide's wasn't his choice though.

Crowly's choice: Best of the bunch. Blue Moon is great Americanized version of a Belgian Ale. It's about as legit as you can get without hitting up Beers of the World.

Overall, I would have to name Crowly the winner as best beer choice. It's a classy beer for sipping with the President of the United States. It also shows you aren't afraid to upstage his beer choice, and that Obama isn't afraid to be upstaged.

If I were to share a pint with the President, it would have to be a Genesee. And not Genny Light either. Just a regular Genesee. I would not want to completely upstage the President's choice in beers, but I would feel it necessary to proudly represent Western NY with a beer brewed just a few miles from my current residence. My father has been an avid drinker of Genesee for as long as I can remember, so it would have to be my choice, despite not being my favorite by a long shot.

Well If I'm not mistaken the only one of those beer's not owned by the international mega beer company's is sam adams. Even though it's a light beer they started out in the true american entreprenurial spirit as a microbrew so I would have to go with gates on the pure american choice. PS. American micro brews now brew some of the best beer anywhere in the world. My choice would have been Rogue dead guy or ruination from Stone brewing...

That's a good call on the Sam Adams. I do like Blue Moon though.

If I had to choose, it's a toss up between Victory Whirlwind, and Labatt Blue (just to stick it to him :nana: )

Obama's choice: Bud Light. Solid, cheap, formerly American beer. They might be foreign owned, but it still bleeds red, white and blue (only slightly less than PBR) and announces "Why yes, I do watch sports."

Biden's choice: NA beer? Really Joe? I expected better from you sir. Like a 22 of Steel Reserve or a Coors. But NA beer? Not MY Vice President.

Gates' choice: Good decision. A solid, American, craft brewed beer. Sam Adam's Light is one of the best Light beers you can buy. I am also slightly surprised that St. Ide's wasn't his choice though.

Crowly's choice: Best of the bunch. Blue Moon is great Americanized version of a Belgian Ale. It's about as legit as you can get without hitting up Beers of the World.

Overall, I would have to name Crowly the winner as best beer choice. It's a classy beer for sipping with the President of the United States. It also shows you aren't afraid to upstage his beer choice, and that Obama isn't afraid to be upstaged.

If I were to share a pint with the President, it would have to be a Genesee. And not Genny Light either. Just a regular Genesee. I would not want to completely upstage the President's choice in beers, but I would feel it necessary to proudly represent Western NY with a beer brewed just a few miles from my current residence. My father has been an avid drinker of Genesee for as long as I can remember, so it would have to be my choice, despite not being my favorite by a long shot.

:lol:

OK all you beerophiles, the president just sat down with the black professor, the white cop and the even whiter vice president.

According to the breathless breaking news coverage, here were their respective beer choices:

The president was drinking Bud Light, Biden was drinking Buckler, Gates was drinking Samuel Adams Light and Crowley was drinking Blue Moon.

Whose beer was best? What do the choices say about the men? If you were invited to sit in the Rose Garden and pound one down with the prez, what beer would you ask for?

Four men sat down to drink beers.

The President sat to the left of the man who drank the Buckler.

The man who drank Sam Adams was not a cop.

The Vice President did not sit next to the man who drank Blue Moon.

Gates is not the Vice President.

The man who drank Blue Moon did not arrest the man who was drinking Bud Light.

The man who ordered Red Stripe, but didn't get it, was not Crowley.

The woman who made the phone call did not order the beer.

Based upon these clues, can you tell who was sitting next to whom, and what each drank?

(NOTE: It may help to make a chart.)

Obama + Bud Light = Leads me to infer that Obama's not actually a beer drinker. Like making love in a canoe, Mr. President. It's fuucking close to water. Still, under a hot summer sun, perfectly serviceable. If I am going to go with a mega-brew light beer, though, it's Miller.

Biden + Buckler = Pretty sure that's an N/A brew. Sounds to me like Biden is a non-drinker (although I'm sure he got plenty of it in before he quit).

Gates + Sam Adams Light = Boston, Represent! I love the Sam Adams products. No beef with the light beer version.

Crowley + Blue Moon = Terrific beer, or so I am told. I just don't get it with the Belgian White Ales ... I'm all for a Hefeweizen with lemon, but I can't abide the tastes of coriander and orange peel in my beer. I prefer the hopped-up kick in the teeth that an IPA delivers.

As for my order, the first question I always have for any bartender or waiter is whether they serve anything that's brewed and bottled within 250 miles of where I am sitting. If they do, then I almost always go with that.

Absent that, and with the assumption that you'd be obligated to order an identifiably domestic beer, I'd go with a Yuengling or a Brooklyn Lager. Either that, or I'd just ask if they had any IPA available.

I'm very disappointed in Obama's choice. Bud Light is a horrible excuse for a beer. A macro american bastardized version of a european lager. N/A "beer" doesn't even deserve a comment.

It's the best choice of the bunch, but that's not saying much. I like Sam Adams mainly for what they have done for the craft beer movement and how they are a great supporter of the homebrew community, but their beers are by and large quite average.

I have to disagree. Blue Moon isn't a terrible example of a Belgian Witbier, but there are many, many other better choices from craft breweries across the country. Plus it's made by Coors.

My beer of choice if I were to have the opportunity to sit down with the president would be a no brainer. A Flying Bison Aviator Red. "Real Beer Brewed In Buffalo"

+1 Yuengling. Good beer brewed in PA w/o being pretentious.

PA is the best state for great regional beers. not surprising in light of the state's strong german-austrian heritage. my personal favorite is straub, which is made in st. mary's, i believe. that stuff tastes precisely like the good stuff you can get from a wooden cask in a german or austrian beer hall.

Also, isn't Sam Adams Coors now and didn't they move production out of MA?

apparently not?

About that shift in Gates's beer selection, it's interesting to note that Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.) wrote the White House this week, urging the president to include Sam Adams in the beer selections, citing it as the only beer that would be wholly owned by a domestic producer. The beer is owned by Bay State brewers.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/0...t.html?wprss=44

Flying Bison Aviator Red

great call. aviator red is my favorite among FB's full line of solid products. in a perfect world, you could get herzog's creation at the white house.

Four men sat down to drink beers.

The President sat to the left of the man who drank the Buckler.

The man who drank Sam Adams was not a cop.

The Vice President did not sit next to the man who drank Blue Moon.

Gates is not the Vice President.

The man who drank Blue Moon did not arrest the man who was drinking Bud Light.

The man who ordered Red Stripe, but didn't get it, was not Crowley.

The woman who made the phone call did not order the beer.

Based upon these clues, can you tell who was sitting next to whom, and what each drank?

(NOTE: It may help to make a chart.)

carp is working feverishly as we speak. This should be good.

I vote for that, but then again most Buffalonians are part Canadian at this point... One could argue that Buffalo is just a Toronto suburb and getting more so all the time.

If they're going to go with Buffalo roots while getting the canadian beer, it has to be Blue.

My beer of choice if I were to have the opportunity to sit down with the president would be a no brainer. A Flying Bison Aviator Red. "Real Beer Brewed In Buffalo"

I know one of the owners of FB and have always thought highly of their beer. However, I've come to realize that all of their beers taste the same. Like pistachio nuts. As much as I want to represent FB, of all of the microbrews I've tried from across the nation, I like FB the least. Seriously, pistachio nuts.

PA is the best state for great regional beers. not surprising in light of the state's strong german-austrian heritage. my personal favorite is straub, which is made in st. mary's, i believe. that stuff tastes precisely like the good stuff you can get from a wooden cask in a german or austrian beer hall.

I grew up not 20 minutes from the brewery. We used to go in and have beers from the eternal tap. There literally is a tap sticking out of the wall that you can pour your own beers from, There was no limit in those days, the limit is 2 per visit now. That's only downfall, it is a great hand crafted brew. They just came out with a Peter Straubs Special dark. Excellent tasting beer.

I know one of the owners of FB and have always thought highly of their beer. However, I've come to realize that all of their beers taste the same. Like pistachio nuts. As much as I want to represent FB, of all of the microbrews I've tried from across the nation, I like FB the least. Seriously, pistachio nuts.

Really? Do you know Tim Herzog? Many moons ago Tim taught me how to homebrew. I guess with the aviator red, stout or scotch ale you could get some roasty or nutty flavors from the malts, but I don't see how you could get that flavor out of say the ipa, pale ale or kolsch.

Archived