[OT] "The Beer Summit"

PASabreFan

For me it's gotta be Bud Light Lime

Aaaand adding you to the block list. ;)

Really? Do you know Tim Herzog? Many moons ago Tim taught me how to homebrew. I guess with the aviator red, stout or scotch ale you could get some roasty or nutty flavors from the malts, but I don't see how you could get that flavor out of say the ipa, pale ale or kolsch.

Bill Paulot. I know he was one of the major players when they were starting up, not sure if he still is though. He used to bring unlabeled samplers home and let us try them.

I guess the reason I think they all taste the same is because the three you listed as having the nutty flavors are the ones I've had the most. I would expect a small amount in each one, but the glaring similarities between the three, including the seasonal Blizzard Bock, is somewhat disappointing.

I didn't realize they had an ipa and a kolsch. I think I've had the pale ale before but it's been a while. Next time I'm in Buffalo I'll have a gander at some of the less malty selections (I typically go for the heavier stuff, I suppose I should branch out a bit.) I'll give FB another chance.

Also, I think I went to school with one of Herzog's kids. I wanna say he played football for Lancaster.

As much as I want to represent FB ... Seriously, pistachio nuts.

huh. can't say i agree.

I grew up not 20 minutes from the brewery. We used to go in and have beers from the eternal tap. There literally is a tap sticking out of the wall that you can pour your own beers from, There was no limit in those days, the limit is 2 per visit now. That's only downfall, it is a great hand crafted brew. They just came out with a Peter Straubs Special dark. Excellent tasting beer.

road trip!

What's wrong w/ BL Lime?

I'm sure its tasty and all but you really need to open your horizons. There are literally thousands of excellent brews out there. many just waiting to be discovered by YOU. Please do yourself a fovor and go to you local beer joint pick up a six pack of something not made by a major brewer. Better yet go to a store that sells mix and match six packs try a few dirfferent ones. Something made in small batches, by a "local" brewer. It doesn't matter if you like, wheat, bock, ales, lager etc. Just experiment for yourself. You will be glad you tried.

Did you also drink Zima?

We used to take a Zima and pour a pixie stick in it. It foams up so fast that you basically have to drink the whole thing in about 5 seconds. Crazy belches, afterwords. You never actually taste the Zima; mostly just the pixie stick. Ah ... to be young and stupid again.

Warning: don't try this at home kids.

I only watched a portion of the "beer summit", because it showed how stupidly the U.S. government can act.

I'd order a bottle of "why the F#&% is the leader of the free world getting involved in petty domestic disputes? now get back to work on the economy"

Seriously tho, I'd order a case of Moslon Golden get sloppy and purge on the first lady's veggie garden.

Aaaand adding you to the block list. ;)

My sentiments exactly. I tried it once as my younger, dumber and much more naive brother drank it constantly and it reminded me of something I would clean my bathtub with although I'm sure it would suck at that as well.

I'm guessing SabreFan78 is younger than most of us and the beer choice can be chalked up to naivity or inexperience.

My sentiments exactly. I tried it once as my younger, dumber and much more naive brother drank it constantly and it reminded me of something I would clean my bathtub with although I'm sure it would suck at that as well.

I'm guessing SabreFan78 is younger than most of us and the beer choice can be chalked up to naivity or inexperience.

I had a free one once when they were trying to market the beer. Under the right circumstances, that's the only way I would ever drink something like that.

Four men sat down to drink beers.

The President sat to the left of the man who drank the Buckler.

The man who drank Sam Adams was not a cop.

The Vice President did not sit next to the man who drank Blue Moon.

Gates is not the Vice President.

The man who drank Blue Moon did not arrest the man who was drinking Bud Light.

The man who ordered Red Stripe, but didn't get it, was not Crowley.

The woman who made the phone call did not order the beer.

Based upon these clues, can you tell who was sitting next to whom, and what each drank?

(NOTE: It may help to make a chart.)

I love logic puzzles! :thumbsup:

I grew up not 20 minutes from the brewery. We used to go in and have beers from the eternal tap. There literally is a tap sticking out of the wall that you can pour your own beers from, There was no limit in those days, the limit is 2 per visit now. That's only downfall, it is a great hand crafted brew. They just came out with a Peter Straubs Special dark. Excellent tasting beer.

My folks were from DuBois - when we visited family there, I often brought back a case of Straub. It's an awesome beer to drink ice cold on a hot summer day - crisp and refreshing. (Also, they ferment just about all of the sugars out of the stuff, so the alcohol content is a smidge higher than most regular beers. I'm told the locals call it "high-test".) :beer: Hic!

Well If I'm not mistaken the only one of those beer's not owned by the international mega beer company's is sam adams. Even though it's a light beer they started out in the true american entreprenurial spirit as a microbrew so I would have to go with gates on the pure american choice. PS. American micro brews now brew some of the best beer anywhere in the world. My choice would have been Rogue dead guy or ruination from Stone brewing...

Nice call!! I LOVE the Rogue Dead Guy - wow, first time I have ever seen someone else mention that one. Sammy Smith Nut Brown and Molson Stock Ale would round off my 3 all time favorites.

What's wrong w/ BL Lime?

I have issues with just about any beer that comes out of the Anheuser-Busch factory. The fact that they use a high percentage of brewer's rice rather than barley malt, the fact that A-B stole the name and slogan of their major beer product from a small Czech brewery (which thankfully still exists).... I was at a picnic a few years back and was drinking LaBatt's Blue and Molson Canadian all afternoon. I opened the cooler for a fresh beer only to find the only remaining choices were Bud and Coors Light. I chose the Bud. Man, the overwhelming "tang" of the beechwood "aging" (compared to the smooth maltiness of the Canadian brews) almost made me hurl. (Oh, yeah - the beechwood "aging" is accomplished by loading beechwood chips into the lagering tank. So much for the romantic image of Bud being aged in wooden barrels...)

I find it intensly humorous that A-B was bought out by a European company - revenge of Budjovice!

Yeah, I read way too much about beer...... :rolleyes:

This thread is proof that PASabreFan loves you and wants you to be happy.

Just because Franklin never said that doesn't make it any less true.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_yo...us_to_be_happy/

The quote, and its many variants, has been widely attributed to Franklin; however, there has never been an authoritative source for the quote, and research indicates that it is very likely a misquotation of Franklin?s words regarding wine:

?Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.? (see sourced section above for a more extensive quotation of this passage from a letter to Andr? Morellet), written in 1779.

Yeah, but Labatt's US headquarters is in the US, so if you're going to go canadian, you might as well support Buffalo.

in buffalo no less.

The Labatt USA headquarters were originally located in Buffalo, New York before locating to Norwalk, Connecticut. In 2007 Labatt relocated their US headquarters back to Buffalo. Some of the grounds for the move back to Buffalo were based on strong Labatt sales in the city and closer proximity to Toronto and London, Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labatt_Brewing_Company

My folks were from DuBois - when we visited family there, I often brought back a case of Straub. It's an awesome beer to drink ice cold on a hot summer day - crisp and refreshing.

nectar of the gods.

Archived