Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

With about 10 mill to spend on about 5 guys, one of which gets big money, and that's if they spend to the cap, the Sabres must be looking at trading somebody, somewhere. Or, the players need to step it up to the level darcy thought they would be at right now. Unfortunately, it may be the latter.

Quick thought: Komisarek? real hitter on D. prolly about 2 mill.?

Komisarek will go for much higher thatn 2 mill. Prolly in the 4 mill range.

Komisarek will go for much higher thatn 2 mill. Prolly in the 4 mill range.
If he is signed today it'll be over 5. Just a hunch.

Do I hear 6?

The above conversation is just what DR doesn't want to do.

FWIW, NHL Live is on Sabres TV site from 12-2. Click "livewire" button in left menu

If he is signed today it'll be over 5. Just a hunch.

God will it ever end? This FA spending is totally out of control. When will teams learn that they are going to get burned. I appreciate DR sitting back and waiting until the "big pieces" are out of the way. Pick up components that will make the Sabres a winner. Although Hossa would be awesome on a line w/ Vanek, and Roy.

I haven't seen this brought up yet. What of the Sabres reputation and players willingness to sign with this organization. It was the #1 topic of conversation last off-season. Has anything changed? There is a strong possibility that even if the Sabres have targeted a player or two that those players will have no interest in coming to Buffalo unless the Sabres over pay.

God will it ever end? This FA spending is totally out of control. When will teams learn that they are going to get burned. I appreciate DR sitting back and waiting until the "big pieces" are out of the way. Pick up components that will make the Sabres a winner. Although Hossa would be awesome on a line w/ Vanek, and Roy.

Amazing these teams don't learn. Contracts like Drury, Briere, Campbell, Lecavalier...etc are killing these teams and I know here in Philly they can't get rid of Briere quick enough.

EDIT: confirmed as much at darren dreger's twitter. this is officially the first twitter account that i will be following -- up to the minute transaction news strikes me as a great use of the platform.

Anyone catch this line from hit Twitter:

ESPN's Pierre Lebrun says he is being impersonated on twitter. The real Lebrun doesn't have an account.

:doh:

Why wouldn't the Sens management know this would happen before they wasted their time? You think they would have asked Heatley which teams he would waive the no trade for.

At least one report is that the trade isn't off, but isn't on; Dany is "sleeping on it":

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/30/heatley_oilers/

When has that ever happened? When has waiting and letting top level talent pass this organization by helped the Buffalo Sabres win?

It is clear that these Pollyanna attempts to justify Regier's fear of free agency is just a way for fans to reconcile with the fact that the Sabres are not a player in the league. This bottom feeder approach of letting the crumbs fall to them has never worked. If fact it has killed them the past two seasons. Instead of going out and investing in a solid backup goalie they scrapped the bottom of the barrel for T-Bo and Lalime and when those moves needed to pay off they didn't. So please stop with the "it's a good thing the Sabres sit back and do nothing." It doesn't work and it never will. Regier and the Sabres need to "start living or start dieing." If I remember correctly one of the levels of hell in Dante's Inferno was reserved for those who lived their lives in apathy. If there is any truth to what Dante wrote I know where the Sabres will be spending eternity.

When has that ever happened? When has waiting and letting top level talent pass this organization by helped the Buffalo Sabres win?

It is clear that these Pollyanna attempts to justify Regier's fear of free agency is just a way for fans to reconcile with the fact that the Sabres are not a player in the league. This bottom feeder approach of letting the crumbs fall to them has never worked. If fact it has killed them the past two seasons. Instead of going out and investing in a solid backup goalie they scrapped the bottom of the barrel for T-Bo and Lalime and when those moves needed to pay off they didn't. So please stop with the "it's a good thing the Sabres sit back and do nothing." It doesn't work and it never will. Regier and the Sabres need to "start living or start dieing." If I remember correctly one of the levels of hell in Dante's Inferno was reserved for those who lived their lives in apathy. If there is any truth to what Dante wrote I know where the Sabres will be spending eternity.

Correct. And Johnny Vogl feeds us the company line again today. http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/720076.html Are LQ's cocktail parties THAT good?

Damn you see right thru me.

Correct. And Johnny Vogl feeds us the company line again today. http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/720076.html Are LQ's cocktail parties THAT good?

Vogl left out something very important. Sure some players are going to get a boat load of money. Know who else cashes in today? The fans of those teams. Like Bills fans with TO, the fans of the teams are going to get a burst of hope and excitement for the upcoming season. Will all the moves payoff for the teams? Who knows? Who cares? That is left to be seen. At least the fans of the franchises will have something positive talk about unlike Sabres fans who will probably have to fake excitement over some old broken down defenseman or a fourth line winger and how they can push this team over the top.

I will have a difficult time rooting for a team with Chris Neil on the roster. I really, really will. He's dirty, and I don't want him in Buffalo. There are other solid and physical players who I won't mind, but I really don't want that dirty POS here.

I remember when i was a wee lad and all upset that The Hammer, Dave Schultz was coming to play for the Sabres. But, as soon as I swa him in the Sabre uni, it was all good. Buit if i remember correctly, seemed like he actually tried to play hockey here, didn't drop em as much as he did in Philly, and that hurt his game a bit. Maybe the same thing will happen to Neil as he gets older???

No. It doesn't change the fact that he was a player that could have made a significantly favorable impact on this team and that he should have been on their radar screen

Just remember, it has been well documented that he really wanted to play out West, where he was from. Think an East Coast team would have had to spend in $9-$10M range to get him to stay East.

As an aside, I really dislike Dennis Potvin on HTN on XM, he is always so smug and arrogant.Ilove the fact that Jay Bo left. I recall distinctly the morning after the trade deadline, and him going on and on how Florida would make the playoffs, and if not Jay was absolutely going to sign with Florida long term. Then, he pointed out how smart Jacque was compared to Darcy, who had signed Tiny Tim, and absolutely blasting Darcy on that. You can still debate the Tiny Tim signing, but it was kinda like its okay for you and your brother to fight, but you are 100% together with outsiders!

Archived