Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Trades and more.

let's start with this one 10 minutes ago.

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired centre Scott Gomez, winger Tom Pyatt and defenceman Mike Busto from the New York Rangers in exchange for winger Chris Higgins and defensemen Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko from the Montreal Canadiens.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329

Making room for Sedin twins?

Post 'em if U got 'em.

Trades and more.

let's start with this one 10 minutes ago.

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired centre Scott Gomez, winger Tom Pyatt and defenceman Mike Busto from the New York Rangers in exchange for winger Chris Higgins and defensemen Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko from the Montreal Canadiens.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329

Making room for Sedin twins?

Post 'em if U got 'em.

I like Chris Higgins... So the Gomez-Drury love affair is officially over...

This is a straight salary dump by the Rangers. I expect them to bring in 2 marquee UFAs -- ie Bouwmeester and Hossa, but maybe the Sedins.

Also another bonehead FA move by the Habs, who are now married to a decent but hugely overpaid player in Gomez.

This is a straight salary dump by the Rangers. I expect them to bring in 2 marquee UFAs -- ie Bouwmeester and Hossa, but maybe the Sedins.

Also another bonehead FA move by the Habs, who are now married to a decent but hugely overpaid player in Gomez.

Perhaps the Habs pitch Gomez to Tampa Bay for Vinny?

And perhaps the Rangers pitch Higgins and picks for Heatly?

Bouwmeester will likely sign with the Flames, and Hossa has all but signed with the Red Wings. I doubt the Rangers are chasing the Sedins.

Heatley heading to NYR... :death:

Bouwmeester will likely sign with the Flames, and Hossa has all but signed with the Red Wings. I doubt the Rangers are chasing the Sedins.

or maybe NYR wouldn't trade Gomez for Heatley, but the Habs will?

Brandon Dubinsky will prolly be in any deal to get Heatley as well.

I'd suspect Higgins, Brandon Dubinsky, a prospect and a 1st round would be appropriate for Heatley.

I don't know what Montreal will do. I have to think they're still chasing Vinny, but I don't know if Tampa Bay (who wants to dump Vinny due to his monster cap) would take Gomez (who has a pretty big cap hit himself).

I was surprised when the Rangers scooped up Gomez a few years back. He was a product of Jersey's system... Frustrate... Frustrate... Frustrate.. Pounce. He had an unremarkable stay in NY. He just doesn't seem like a good fit at all in Montreal.

Sedin's will both re-sign with Vancouver according to Dreger.

Yea, I don't see him fitting in Montreal.

However, with a new coach, I believe Montreal may be aiming to slow down their game and play more of a defensive style.

And with that, it appears Montreal has given up on their quest to land a French Canadian Superstar:

"We are extremely pleased to have acquired an impact centreman in Scott Gomez. He is an outstanding playmaker and an excellent skater. Having won the Stanley Cup twice with the New Jersey Devils, he brings a lot of playoff experience to our team. Scott is an elite player who will certainly contribute to the success of our team for years to come."

Sedin's will both re-sign with Vancouver according to Dreger.

I actually despise the Sedin twins for what they're doing to Vancouver right now. No one knows the exact facts and figure, but I hear they are demanding outrageous salaries. Word is they were looking for upwards of 7 year deals, averaging about 7 mill per season. That's 14 million dollars dedicated to two players. That's a very steep price to ask an organization to pay.

I would have thought that given their situation (they refuse to separate and sign with different teams), they would have taken a home town discount to stay together. Instead, they threatened to leave for free agency if Vancouver didn't pony up Zetterberg money.

They are currently in Sweden with their agents deciding whether or not to resign with Vancouver. Vancouver's GM was forced to fly out there on Monday and basically beg the twins to resign for a cheaper price.

:thumbdown:

There is no reason whatsoever to think Bouwmeester will sign with Calgary, and Hossa is not close to agreeing with the Wings. Both are going to see what's out there tomorrow, and the Rangers will be able to write checks that no other team can match. Also, there is no reason for the Rangers to give up assets for Heatley when they can get similarly priced UFAs who are better players without giving up assets.

Dreger said today their deals should be 5 years.... not sure how much coin though.

Yea, that's what I heard as well. Vancouver couldn't offer the Sedin's the 7 year contracts they desired.

We'll see if they do take a bit of a "hometown discount".

Still. Forcing the GM to fly thousands of miles to your residence in Sweden to discuss contract matters says alot about the Sedins.

There is no reason whatsoever to think Bouwmeester will sign with Calgary, and Hossa is not close to agreeing with the Wings. Both are going to see what's out there tomorrow, and the Rangers will be able to write checks that no other team can match. Also, there is no reason for the Rangers to give up assets for Heatley when they can get similarly priced UFAs who are better players without giving up assets.

Yup, good points. We'll have to see. It'll be a crazy off season either way. :thumbsup:

However, I still see Bouw signing with Calgary, and Hossa signing with Detroit. I believe both those players are basically off the table.

From a news paper in NYC.... Heatley to be traded to NYR tonight-

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/06/30/gomer-a-goner/

I'm okay with that. Ottawa just lost 50 goals.. That is good for Buffalo.. Would have better out West, but oh well...

Must be nice to be a NYR fan. They get expensive new toys every July 1st..

I'm okay with that. Ottawa just lost 50 goals.. That is good for Buffalo.. Would have better out West, but oh well...

Must be nice to be a NYR fan. They get expensive new toys every July 1st..

Yeah I just don't get it. The league screams barely viable for half the teams and the Rangers spend money like the US Gov't. How can they do that. Do they have incomes not counted towards the cap calculation that allow a business model to just burn/lose mony on all these player and bust moves....

Usually, even in a "bust" signing, some team in the league will be desperate enough to trade for the player.

Case in point, Gomez to Montreal for Higgins. Obviously, Montreal got the better player in the deal. However, NY acquired a solid player and freed up cap space. Both teams won.

Yeah I just don't get it. The league screams barely viable for half the teams and the Rangers spend money like the US Gov't. How can they do that. Do they have incomes not counted towards the cap calculation that allow a business model to just burn/lose mony on all these player and bust moves....

Maybe they have a relative of Regas helping them with their finances.

NYR Owner: How'd we do this year?

Rigas: PROFIT!!!!

;)

Archived