Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Looking for opinions on Robert Lang, UFA, 38 yrs old, center, pondering KHL...

Assuming that his surgery went well (ask the Doctors), he certainly showed that he had something left in the tank last year. In fact, I thought that the Canadiens got a great deal on him, which really would have helped us had we done it. I'd certainly consider him an option.

Interesting ... the Lightning have bought out Prospal. He had a tough time in Tampa last year and back in 2006-07, but he also had very good seasons with Philly in 2007-08 and even in Tampa in 2005-06. He's capable of playing at left wing and center (mostly wing lately, but he used to play center.) I wonder what his post-buyout price will be.

I looked for you and here's what I found - From Lightning reporter Erik Erlendsson.

Prospal, who was reacquired from the Philadelphia Flyers before last season, signed a four-year contract worth $14 million last June. He has $10.5 million remaining on his deal.

Under the terms of the buyout, Prospal would receive two-thirds the remaining value of the contract spread out over twice the length of the remaining contract, which equates to $7 million over six years. By buying out the contract, the Lightning will take a salary cap hit of $1.167 for the next six seasons.

Link- http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/c...spals-contract/

I looked for you and here's what I found - From Lightning reporter Erik Erlendsson.

Link- http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/c...spals-contract/

Thanks for the effort, but I meant his price to the team that signs him. Since his salary was constant over his contract, the buyout payments and cap hit are very easy to figure out. It's only when the salary changes that you get weird cap hits.

On that subject, it's funny how people talk about a player taking less to play because he has his buyout in place. Propsal is a UFA now, just like any other UFA; competitive effects alone will determine his salary. If he's a $3 million player, there's no reason to think that he will get anything less than $3 million just because the Lightning will also be paying him $1.167 million. The only thing that really will adversely effect his salary is that most teams have already allocated their money to other assets (UFAs, RFAs, etc.), so there won't be as much competition.

Thanks for the effort, but I meant his price to the team that signs him. Since his salary was constant over his contract, the buyout payments and cap hit are very easy to figure out. It's only when the salary changes that you get weird cap hits.

On that subject, it's funny how people talk about a player taking less to play because he has his buyout in place. Propsal is a UFA now, just like any other UFA; competitive effects alone will determine his salary. If he's a $3 million player, there's no reason to think that he will get anything less than $3 million just because the Lightning will also be paying him $1.167 million. The only thing that really will adversely effect his salary is that most teams have already allocated their money to other assets (UFAs, RFAs, etc.), so there won't be as much competition.

It does allow that specific player to perhaps take an offer whose value is substantially less then another offer if he wants to play for that specific team. Yes, any player can always do that; but I think a player that has money coming in no matter what might be more willing to do that.

It does allow that specific player to perhaps take an offer whose value is substantially less then another offer if he wants to play for that specific team. Yes, any player can always do that; but I think a player that has money coming in no matter what might be more willing to do that.

Possibly. In that sense, it just moves him up a salary class in terms of decisions. Let's say that he's a $3 million player, but a team that he likes can only offer him $2 million. Before, it would have been the same as any other player around the same worth: is it worth making $2 million, instead of $3 million, to play for the team that I want? Now, it's more like a similar decision faced by a $4 million player: is it worth making $3.167 million (total), instead of $4.167 million (total), to play for the team that I want? I suppose that a higher priced player would be more likely to take the same $ amount discount (a lower %) to play for the team that he chooses.

It's actually like (though notably different than) the classic consumer behavior class questions:

1) If I told you that you could get the $100 coffee maker that you are about to buy at the closest store for $50 if you drove across town to a different store, would you make the drive? Most people answer "yes, of course."

2) Now, what if I told you that you could get the $1000 flat screen TV that you are about to buy at the closest store for $950 if you drove across town to a different store, would you make the drive? Most people answer "no, probably not."

$50 is $50, right?

Anyway, does anyone think that the Sabres are the team that he would be taking that cut to play on? If we're getting him, it's because that team doesn't even have enough to give him the discounted contract.

Archived