Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

No. It doesn't change the fact that he was a player that could have made a significantly favorable impact on this team and that he should have been on their radar screen.

Nevermind the money. There was no way this team was going to trade for anyone's negotating rights. That was their only shot at Bouwmeester if they were indeed willing to pay that much.

I have said Neil for a while now. There is a thread about it. Neil just isn't a player they can use. He is a player they need.

I will have a difficult time rooting for a team with Chris Neil on the roster. I really, really will. He's dirty, and I don't want him in Buffalo. There are other solid and physical players who I won't mind, but I really don't want that dirty POS here.

Im hearing rumors that Hossa has turned down a deal offered by Detroit, most likely due to what's transpiring right now:

Heatley is heading to Edmonton for Cogliano, Smid, and Penner. I dont see what Ottawa sees in that trade. But whatever. NYR cleared cap space to acquire Heatley, but Im guessing Murray wasn't too hot at shipping Heatley to someone so close. So, theyre shipping him out to Edmonton.

So now NY has cap space, Hossa sees this. He'll most likely try to sign with NY.

Whoa. And for $4M Dustin Penner and friends? There must be more to this.

Apparently Brian Murray, for whatever reason, likes Dustin Penner. I hear he's an underachieving player Edmonton couldn't wait to salary dump.

Really, I don't see any upside in this trade for Ottawa. At first glance, this is one of the worst trades I've seen in a while.

Apparently Brian Murray, for whatever reason, likes Dustin Penner. I hear he's an underachieving player Edmonton couldn't wait to salary dump.

Really, I don't see any upside in this trade for Ottawa. At first glance, this is one of the worst trades I've seen in a while.

Depends on how the Cap dollars work out. If this allows the Sens to hit the free agent market for a top level talent then it can be a great trade.

I'm not a Heatly fan, his numbers are good but on the decline. His best days are behind him.

Depends on how the Cap dollars work out. If this allows the Sens to hit the free agent market for a top level talent then it can be a great trade.

I'm not a Heatly fan, his numbers are good but on the decline. His best days are behind him.

Well he won't line up with Alfredson and Spezza anymore......probably the most dominant line of the half decade.

True.

Is anyone else concerned bout the huge moves being made within the Division?

Up to now...

Pronger worries me.

Gomez to Montreal doesn't yet until Gainey signs a team - he has opted for the total culture change--- Guy Carbonaue couldn't hold that team. So I can't say I blame him

Heatly gone, good news.

Rangers are still deeply flawed.

Carolina is going to lose 2 of their top 9.

Hold your Heatley horses:

Some sources are now reporting Heatley has TURNED DOWN the Oilers trade.

Dammit. The Sens had completely screwed up that deal, and I was enjoying the idea of them paying $4M/yr for Dustin Penner.

(On the other hand, I'm still enjoying the fact that Lowe is paying $4M/yr for Dustin Penner. Jackass.)

How well does that usually work out for them, though, jag? One Cup in the last 70 years? (And for many of those years, there only were six teams.)

Let 'em spend their fans' money on folly. I'll take my team that gets to the final four one third of the time under Ruff.

Damn, I love watching Philly and NYR freak out at free agency time. It's like watching two hot, but drunk and dumb, women at a WWE event.

I agree it hasn't struck gold but once. By my back of the envelope calculations, that is one more time than Buffalo. I'm not saying I want a yearly upgrade, just a bold chance to improve every now and then.

Being that its now July 1st, Ottawa now owes Heatley a 4 million dollar bonus check.

i saw something on tsn.ca (see below) about how the sens can still avoid paying that money if they were to unload him today.

"It's true that Dany Heatley did not waive his no-movement clause when requested by the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night, meaning the Senators are still on the clock in their window to trade Heatley without absorbing the cost of the $4 million signing bonus and will be until 11:59 p.m. eastern time on Wednesday night."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

i'd prefer that they still have an incentive to move the guy out of our division, conference -- if they do pay that $4MM, seems far less likely that they would move him (and i think their GM has said as much).

EDIT: confirmed as much at darren dreger's twitter. this is officially the first twitter account that i will be following -- up to the minute transaction news strikes me as a great use of the platform.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283382

He won't waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton. Has until 11:59pm tonight to make up his mind, and Ottawa's pocket book for the bonus $.

see above

Why wouldn't the Sens management know this would happen before they wasted their time? You think they would have asked Heatley which teams he would waive the no trade for.

Why wouldn't the Sens management know this would happen before they wasted their time? You think they would have asked Heatley which teams he would waive the no trade for.

Yeah, that's interesting. I read somewhere he did make a list. Guess Ottawa just hoping...

Also interesting is that after Edmonton throws the offer sheet at Penner they trade him away. Would they have traded Vanek after a few years if they got him?

Yeah, that's interesting. I read somewhere he did make a list. Guess Ottawa just hoping...

Also interesting is that after Edmonton throws the offer sheet at Penner they trade him away. Would they have traded Vanek after a few years if they got him?

I'm a Vanek fan, it does make you wonder what would have happened if the Sabres took the compensation instead of matching.

I don't have a good feeling about this off-season. Gomez in Montreal. It is possible that because of Heatley not waiving the no-trade he could end up on the Rangers. I am really concerned about what other mid-level Eastern Conference teams will do especially if the Sabres do their traditional next to nothing.

I'm a Vanek fan, it does make you wonder what would have happened if the Sabres took the compensation instead of matching.

I don't have a good feeling about this off-season. Gomez in Montreal. It is possible that because of Heatley not waiving the no-trade he could end up on the Rangers. I am really concerned about what other mid-level Eastern Conference teams will do especially if the Sabres do their traditional next to nothing.

With about 10 mill to spend on about 5 guys, one of which gets big money, and that's if they spend to the cap, the Sabres must be looking at trading somebody, somewhere. Or, the players need to step it up to the level darcy thought they would be at right now. Unfortunately, it may be the latter.

Quick thought: Komisarek? real hitter on D. prolly about 2 mill.?

With about 10 mill to spend on about 5 guys, one of which gets big money, and that's if they spend to the cap, the Sabres must be looking at trading somebody, somewhere. Or, the players need to step it up to the level darcy thought they would be at right now. Unfortunately, it may be the latter.

Darcy probably won't hit the phones until after the first 24 hours are up.....he's a bear market shopper.

Archived