Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

From a news paper in NYC.... Heatley to be traded to NYR tonight-

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/06/30/gomer-a-goner/

TSN:

Ottawa wants Dustin Penner as part of the package dating back to Sens' GM Bryan Murray's days in Anaheim with Penner and as much as Edmonton would like to move Penner and his $4.25 million cap hit, Heatley's $7.5 million is a tough nut to crack.

Throw in a young roster Defenceman - Ladislav Smid used to be in Anaheim, too - and a prospect or another young roster player and that's a deal that could fly.

and lastly,

If a tree drops in Henrik's backyard, does Daniel hear it? news at 11.

However, I still see Bouw signing with Calgary, and Hossa signing with Detroit. I believe both those players are basically off the table.

Well, then, let's call it a gentlemen's bet for bragging rights. I see the Rangers signing at least one of them.

There is no reason whatsoever to think Bouwmeester will sign with Calgary, and Hossa is not close to agreeing with the Wings. Both are going to see what's out there tomorrow, and the Rangers will be able to write checks that no other team can match. Also, there is no reason for the Rangers to give up assets for Heatley when they can get similarly priced UFAs who are better players without giving up assets.

So if Calgary were to throw something absurd like 10 years, $80 million at Bouwmeester, he wouldn' got for it? There is an offer that would keep him from hitting the market, we just need to see whether or not Calgary will make it.

I'm okay with that. Ottawa just lost 50 goals.. That is good for Buffalo.. Would have better out West, but oh well...

Must be nice to be a NYR fan. They get expensive new toys every July 1st..

How well does that usually work out for them, though, jag? One Cup in the last 70 years? (And for many of those years, there only were six teams.)

Let 'em spend their fans' money on folly. I'll take my team that gets to the final four one third of the time under Ruff.

Damn, I love watching Philly and NYR freak out at free agency time. It's like watching two hot, but drunk and dumb, women at a WWE event.

Usually, even in a "bust" signing, some team in the league will be desperate enough to trade for the player.

Case in point, Gomez to Montreal for Higgins. Obviously, Montreal got the better player in the deal. However, NY acquired a solid player and freed up cap space. Both teams won.

It'll be interesting to see how Heatley looks without a real playmaker to play with. The Rangers are a baffling franchise - they sign a guy like Gomez knowing he needs a true finisher to be at his best - then they trade him when they finally get one.

Usually, even in a "bust" signing, some team in the league will be desperate enough to trade for the player.

Case in point, Gomez to Montreal for Higgins. Obviously, Montreal got the better player in the deal. However, NY acquired a solid player and freed up cap space. Both teams won.

Call me crazy, but I'd say these guys will actually have to play a few games (or Heatley or whoever else is the endpoint of this deal) before we can say either side won.

I actually won't be that upset that the Sabres aren't active in a big way right at the bell, because the only big name I REALLY want to see is going to go to someone throwing out more than the Sabres are willing to dole out. Of course, if Bouwmeester signs for $7MM or less, I am going to be REALLY ticked.

Man, that kid would look good in blue and gold.

I actually won't be that upset that the Sabres aren't active in a big way right at the bell, because the only big name I REALLY want to see is going to go to someone throwing out more than the Sabres are willing to dole out. Of course, if Bouwmeester signs for $7MM or less, I am going to be REALLY ticked.

Man, that kid would look good in blue and gold.

Five years, $6.6 million per, according to the link provided by nfreeman.

I agree, Bouwmeester would have been a fantastic pickup for Buffalo.

Since we're throwing around a few rumors...

neil didn't sign on with Ottawa, looking at FA, maybe he's Burke's boy now? Seems a good fit. Replace May with Neil.

The Sabres really need a player like Neil. Toughness that can play a regular shift.

There was no way Jay Bo was going to command more than 7 million in the open market.

I figured he'd get 7 mill, max.

A 7 year, 7 mill contract woulda landed Jay Bo in Buffalo had Darcy took the initiative.

Oh well.

Next announcement I expect is Hossa signing with the Red Wings to a very, very lengthy deal with a smaller than you would have expected cap hit.

There was no way Jay Bo was going to command more than 7 million in the open market.

I figured he'd get 7 mill, max.

A 7 year, 7 mill contract woulda landed Jay Bo in Buffalo had Darcy took the initiative.

Oh well.

Next announcement I expect is Hossa signing with the Red Wings to a very, very lengthy deal with a smaller than you would have expected cap hit.

I think Hossa will sign for 2-3 years.

Canes break off negotiations with Cole

I'm not so sure that I'd want Cole here at the price he is likely to command, but it appears as though the Canes are now prepared to be come buyers in FA.

Rutherford says the Hurricanes had hoped to lock in both players before the free agency period opened up, but with LaRose and Cole now preparing to test the market the Hurricanes are now preparing to become buyers themselves.

"We'll do the same thing the players are doing," Rutherford said.

Canes break off negotiations with Cole

I'm not so sure that I'd want Cole here at the price he is likely to command, but it appears as though the Canes are now prepared to be come buyers in FA.

Cole? The Sabres are already overpaying for a couple of 18 goals a year players. 18 playoff games with the Canes 0 goals, 5 assists and a -5. The Sabres can do much better for less money.

Cole? The Sabres are already overpaying for a couple of 18 goals a year players. 18 playoff games with the Canes 0 goals, 5 assists and a -5. The Sabres can do much better for less money.

For instance?

I'm not sure how the money will settle but I think he would be a good deal around 2.5-3.0

I'm with you, like I said I'm not sure I'd want him at the money he is looking for. I found it more interesting that the Canes now faced with losing two guys that they wanted back are prepared to keep all their options open and become buyers. Or so they say.

Did you honestly expect this to happen...even for something under $7 million?

No. It doesn't change the fact that he was a player that could have made a significantly favorable impact on this team and that he should have been on their radar screen.

Archived