The "WE" word

Eleven

I think it's ok to use "we" to refer to a sports team...  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick as many as apply

• Only if I'm actually on the team
    • If it's a national team from my country; e.g., "We won gold in hockey in 1980"
    • If it's a regional team from my region; e.g., "we won hockey at the Empire State Games last year"
    • If it's a team that I follow, but wasn't formally affiliated with, e.g., "we made it to the finals in 1999" (referring to the Sabres)
    • If it's my alma mater (any level of schooling), and I didn't play that sport there
    • If it's my alma mater (any level of schooling), and I DID play the sport there
    • If it's my alma mater (any level of schooling) and I didn't play that sport, but I played another one

This is inspired by the USA win--I would say "WE" won--in soccer/football/eurograssdiving/whatever today--as already noted in another thread.

For me, it's my national team, and yeah, it's ok to say "we" won. Also for me, it's not ok to say "we" made the playoffs in '07. But that's me. How are the rest of we--I mean us--on that?

National teams, school/college teams, and teams I deeply care about are when I use "WE."

So that means USA soccer: WE beat Spain today 2-0.

My highschool football team (that i didn't play on): WE went 1-23 through two seasons

and The Buffalo Sabres: WE will probably not do anything significant this off-season.

but then teams like the Bills (nothing against them, I do root for them, I'm just more of a hockey guy) I don't think I've ever caught myself saying "WE are going to better with TO on the team."

I have used we when talking about a game. example would be if some one asked me about a Bills game. "what's going on?" I may say we have the ball on the 35 its 3rd and 4 we are getting set up to run a one yard dive and kick a field goal"

When writing I disdain using we as it is easier and more clear to say the Sabres.

I will agree with the statements about USA. I use we as i feel a connection..."we won the gold"

I try to never use we regarding any sports teams. Occasionally, I'll get caught up in it and slip, but I loathe the whole "we" .

I use WE all the time. I watch every game. I buy the stuff. I sometimes feel like I care more about this team than some of the players(which I know is actually true). I'm using WE and I don't care what others think about it.

And I guarantee that when WE eventually win the Cup, Ink will be in downtown Buffalo screaming "WE'RE #1" with the rest of US. And weeks later he'll be lying in bed on the edge of sleep, thinking,"...I can't believe WE won the Cup..." I know I will be.

I use WE all the time. I watch every game. I buy the stuff. I sometimes feel like I care more about this team than some of the players(which I know is actually true). I'm using WE and I don't care what others think about it.

And I guarantee that when WE eventually win the Cup, Ink will be in downtown Buffalo screaming "WE'RE #1" with the rest of US. And weeks later he'll be lying in bed on the edge of sleep, thinking,"...I can't believe WE won the Cup..." I know I will be.

Amen.

as a practical matter, i fall where ink falls as stated above. i try to avoid "we" -- so, i have been talking about how the u.s. upset spain in the confederation cup. as for the sabres and bills, i find it easy to keep them as the "sabres" and "bills" when talking about them outside of a game situation -- but if my team needs a tying goal with under 5 to go, or is driving for a winning score, i know i fall into the "we" sh!t as i pull for my team.

perhaps interestingly, while i follow my alma mater's d-1 programs (football, hockey, hoops (in that order of priority)), i never, ever, ever refer to those teams as "we."

winning = we

losing = they

:lol:

BINGO. It is all about the passion you have for a team. If you are so deeply involved with the teams and feel so passionately about winning, go to games and do everything you can to help the team win (yell and scream, etc....Bills Games), buy the stuff, etc., then we are perhaps just as big as part of the team as the players.

I feel that if winning means more to me than many of the actual players (which I know for a lot of us it does), then there is no shame in saying "WE." There is a reason the 12th Man is on the Wall of Fame........We are a HUGE PART OF THE TEAM. We may not play in the games, but we definitely have an impact or affect the outcome. So, if we have an affect on the game, we are basically participating and the term "WE" definitely applies!!!!

If you knew me, you'd know better. I rarely flinch when "they" score a goal. I might scream "fight" if one breaks out, but with the wonderful camera work, "we" usually miss out on half that anyway. I'm just not a rah, rah type dude. I'm mad chill as the kids like to say.

BINGO. It is all about the passion you have for a team. If you are so deeply involved with the teams and feel so passionately about winning, go to games and do everything you can to help the team win (yell and scream, etc....Bills Games), buy the stuff, etc., then we are perhaps just as big as part of the team as the players.

I don't think it has as much to do with your passion as much as your obnoxious factor. I'm not denigrating, okay maybe I am, but I just don't get fanboy types. I like watching the games. I get emotionally wrapped up in them. I've never danced around my living room like a sissy screaming Pominville's name.

If talking about the Sabres I had to announce that i'm referring to the Buffalo Sabres at the start of every sentence i'd just explode.

However if they were to win the Cup i'd probably say "They won the cup" Or "They went deep into the playoffs". I wouldn't act like I did it.

If its during a game and I announce who scored i'd say We if Buffalo scored or they for the opponent. Its not like im trying to act like im on the team, but if I said simply they then i'd have to clarify who scored. It just depends on the situation. Who really gives a crap anyway?

If you knew me, you'd know better. I rarely flinch ......... I've never danced around my living room like a sissy screaming Pominville's name.

Oh Yeah but I'll bet you've danced a few times tough guy ? :o

;)

I don't think it has as much to do with your passion as much as your obnoxious factor. I'm not denigrating, okay maybe I am, but I just don't get fanboy types. I like watching the games. I get emotionally wrapped up in them. I've never danced around my living room like a sissy screaming Pominville's name.

I have. He's so cute!

Oh Yeah but I'll bet you've danced a few times tough guy ? :o

;)

I'll never claim to be any sort of tough guy, getting knocked out cold at a Bills game pretty much refutes any sort of claim by me. BTW, I'll cut the rug anytime there is a beat and I'm drinking. What better way to woo the ladies?

He's so dreamy.....what's Inky missing?

I believe it's called moral fiber.

I'm afraid all those needles have hardened his heart. Or maybe Briere was the one he really fancied, and when he left...

Thorburn had me at hello.

post-151-1246036719_thumbjpg

I'll never claim to be any sort of tough guy, getting knocked out cold at a Bills game pretty much refutes any sort of claim by me. BTW, I'll cut the rug anytime there is a beat and I'm drinking. What better way to woo the ladies?.....

Thorburn had me at hello. :lol:

You got that right, sure got that right.... I just wish I had figured that out much younger while still unattached...

• 2 months later...

If you knew me, you'd know better. I rarely flinch when "they" score a goal. I might scream "fight" if one breaks out, but with the wonderful camera work, "we" usually miss out on half that anyway. I'm just not a rah, rah type dude. I'm mad chill as the kids like to say.

I edit out all my "we" terms if I find them after I post. It slips in from time to time, but I recognize "me" had nothing to do with "we" when it comes to the games... "They" on the otherhand is perfectly acceptable to me.

Archived