The "WE" word

Eleven

I think it's ok to use "we" to refer to a sports team...  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick as many as apply

• Only if I'm actually on the team
    • If it's a national team from my country; e.g., "We won gold in hockey in 1980"
    • If it's a regional team from my region; e.g., "we won hockey at the Empire State Games last year"
    • If it's a team that I follow, but wasn't formally affiliated with, e.g., "we made it to the finals in 1999" (referring to the Sabres)
    • If it's my alma mater (any level of schooling), and I didn't play that sport there
    • If it's my alma mater (any level of schooling), and I DID play the sport there
    • If it's my alma mater (any level of schooling) and I didn't play that sport, but I played another one

I edit out all my "we" terms if I find them after I post. It slips in from time to time, but I recognize "me" had nothing to do with "we" when it comes to the games... "They" on the otherhand is perfectly acceptable to me.

In the terms of writing "they" could certainly refer to either team. Gonna be a confusing season.

I think it can be used by the average Joe when referring to your country's team (e.g., Team USA in any sport) or for your alma mater. You are directly affiliated with both.

You can only use it for a professional team if you actually played for it.

How am I not directly affiliated with Buffalo? And why is the team allowed to affiliate itself with Buffalo but we are not allowed to affiliate ourselves with the team? They could just as easily be called OSP's Sabres, but no, they chose to be called the Buffalo Sabres. The team chose to affiliate itself with the city of Buffalo long before I chose to affiliate myself with the team. I can see not using terms like WE or US when in the company of fans of other teams, but if you are only talking to Sabres fans then I think it is perfectly acceptable.

And that clip was great.

my favorite bit is how the alleged 'spurs fan (that's the tottenham hotspurs (a london club)) just pulls a bottle of whiskey from his briefcase as soon as he arrives at the office -- nice touch.

That reminds me...Is it noon yet? Eh, it is somewhere.

I had a discussion with my coach this past season about using the term "we" and he thought I was odd not to say "we" about the rugby team I have a season ticket for and very closely follow. I've only ever said "we" about teams I play for.

I wonder if it's to do with if people have played sports and felt a part of a team in that way? Then again one of the retarded lads that trains with my hockey team uses the term "we" about the rinks pro (in a lose sense of the term British hockey is far from professional) team.

And for anyone that says it's dependant on how much passion you have for the team I'd disagree, I've enough passion to have travelled over every season for the past 9 years to watch a few Sabres games in the flesh! (passion/crazy you decide!)

And for anyone that says it's dependant on how much passion you have for the team I'd disagree, I've enough passion to have travelled over every season for the past 9 years to watch a few Sabres games in the flesh! (passion/crazy you decide!)

I'll vote crazy. ;)

I had a discussion with my coach this past season about using the term "we" and he thought I was odd not to say "we" about the rugby team I have a season ticket for and very closely follow. I've only ever said "we" about teams I play for.

I wonder if it's to do with if people have played sports and felt a part of a team in that way? Then again one of the retarded lads that trains with my hockey team uses the term "we" about the rinks pro (in a lose sense of the term British hockey is far from professional) team.

If following the Sabres from Britain is anywhere near as difficult as following British sports from the US is, I gotta admire the dedication.

Archived