Greatest Sabres Moment

wonderbread

Your favorite moment in all of the history of the team. Just thought we could pass the time with something interesting.

My favorite has to be the series clinching goal by Pominville shorthanded to beat Ottawa.

Yours?

You guys are good--these were the first two I thought of. The call OF the plays nearly as good as the plays themselves.

To be different, I'll go with May-day. That win was awesome on many different levels.

This and JP's goal to beat Ottawa in Game 3 (2006) are probably tied at the top for me.

I'll throw a few out there(none probably qualifying as the greatest)...

-Schoenfeld and Cashman fighting after crashing through the zamboni doors

-Perreault's 500th goal

-Gerry Meehan's goal in the last game of the season(1st or 2nd year) that knocked the Flyers out of the playoffs

-Winning the right to draft Perreault and Vancouver ending up with the consolation prize of Dale Tallon

-Perreault's 500th goal

-Gerry Meehan's goal in the last game of the season(1st or 2nd year) that knocked the Flyers out of the playoffs

-Winning the right to draft Perreault and Vancouver ending up with the consolation prize of Dale Tallon

Great call.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/fights/GameE...aspx?Game=43184

This and JP's goal to beat Ottawa in Game 3 (2006) are probably tied at the top for me.

I love that one.

But gimme some Dave Hannan. (Someone had to go to the Sabres' Dark Ages between 1983 and 1997.)

These are getting progressively weaker. These discussions always leave me feeling let down.

Can we all agree the Sabres haven't really had their GREAT moment yet? Maybe the adjective is throwing me off. Most Memorable Moment? There have been a ton. You'd throw Malarchuk in there, closing the Aud, scoring two overtime goals in the finals. None of those moments were "great," however.

These are getting progressively weaker. These discussions always leave me feeling let down.

Can we all agree the Sabres haven't really had their GREAT moment yet? Maybe the adjective is throwing me off. Most Memorable Moment? There have been a ton. You'd throw Malarchuk in there, closing the Aud, scoring two overtime goals in the finals. None of those moments were "great," however.

While I do appreciate what you are saying, Drury's goal with 7.7 secs left and Max winning it in overtime was great. Especially because with a minute left in the game, a Rags fan stood up at the glass, turned around and started shouting about how great the Rags were and how they were going to go all the way. I stood on my chair pointing at him and told him to shut the Eff up. He was pretty quiet when he left. That was a great Sabres moment.

-Perreault's 500th goal

2nd season.

I was going to say your last point but for personal reasons I go with Plante's goal in overtime against Ottawa.

While I do appreciate what you are saying, Drury's goal with 7.7 secs left and Max winning it in overtime was great. Especially because with a minute left in the game, a Rags fan stood up at the glass, turned around and started shouting about how great the Rags were and how they were going to go all the way. I stood on my chair pointing at him and told him to shut the Eff up. He was pretty quiet when he left. That was a great Sabres moment.

It won't hold up over time. Well, with you it will. But Don Luce scored a SERIES-WINNING overtime goal one time at home, not a tying goal in regulation to force overtime in a non-deciding game, and not many people talk about it.

Of course, as with everything Drury, it will be exaggerated and mythified beyond belief.

It was a lot of things, but not great. I guess I am being a curmudgeon and saying there's only one great moment a team can have.

It won't hold up over time. Well, with you it will. But Don Luce scored a SERIES-WINNING overtime goal one time at home, not a tying goal in regulation to force overtime in a non-deciding game, and not many people talk about it.

Of course, as with everything Drury, it will be exaggerated and mythified beyond belief.

It was a lot of things, but not great. I guess I am being a curmudgeon and saying there's only one great moment a team can have.

[sigh]...agreed.

Best game (that I've attended) ever. I called a friend on my cell phone and all she heard was estatically loud fans. I remember getting a headache from the rush of hooting soooo loud.

Oh how i miss hearing "Sweet Caroline, ba ba ba...."

RJ's call of Dave Hannan. It was the greatest call in Sabres' history especially because he RJ desperately had to go to the bathroom.

That was the best! I'll never forget that! Pommer's goal against Ottawa is right up there, also.

The worst moment was Brad Park's OT killer in game 7 1983.

For me and here's the background;

Maybe my age at the time (impressionable youth) and the cold war that was going on, and the fact that Canada claimed to own the game of hockey( and the Habs did in the seventies) It was a first american hockey team moment, to beat what was then the invincible Soviets , the wings team, and the especially way we did it 12-6, we beat them like a rented mule.

Another plus I grew up watching this team. Note the players and the skill level we had back then. Unfortunately they couldn't handle the goon level back then either, give them a skating team and see what happens.

The worst moment was Brad Park's OT killer in game 7 1983.

Same here....that goal broke my young heart. I still remember listening on my transistor radio in bed. Terrible.

The other terrible 'moment' was the entire 3d period of the '06 ECF Game 7. As a lifelong Bills/Sabres fan there was little surprise, but I was there in person (seats were behind Miller so it was all right in front of us), and it was tough to watch.

BUT, since this is supposed to be a happy occasssion....I think my favorite was reaching the Finals in '99. Something special about getting to a championship round/game, even if it ends badly.

My Dad always talked about the first time they beat Boston (who were loaded back then) being one of the great events he ever saw live, but that's too far back for my memory.

I have 3 -- Eddie Shack's pentalty shot goal against the California Golden Seals and

Cesar Maniago (?) skating off during the second period, waving to the fans when we play the nothstars. we already had fifty shots and essentially, when he skated off, that was the last time he played.

And last but not least -- Rick Martin slap shot splitting a puck in half during warmups.

Archived