Phoenix gone? (Judge rules Balsillie back in play)

spndnchz

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hamilton get a team?

ACCESS DENIED!!!

:worthy: Offer Rejected

I am one of those fans who lives in the Niagara Penninsula and I'm glad Ballsillie lost his bid. First and foremost, I'm a Sabres fan and mini-pack holder for many years and I wouldn't want to see the team's viability threatened by a Hamilton franchise. I also don't like how Ballisillie went about trying to get into the league - by being sneaky. The guy is desperate to get in, but he just doesn't get it. He has to bide his time and go through the proper channels - maybe he can get another team in Toronto some day - not Hamilton. Thank God this guy wasn't in a buying mode when the Sabres were bankrupt otherwise the team could be called the Hamilton Sabres, and thank God Golisano said no when was approached recently. If Hamilton would have been successful, I could have pictured upper management reeling the the team imposed salary cap even more with the assumption that ticket sales would go down. How much would that have been? Hard to say, but there would have been at least some effect. Now, if only this news could help with the win/loss column next year...after watching the playoffs, it looks like we need some more talent with tenacity.

Since he only wants a team in Hamilton (or Kitchener/Waterloo) he won't get it with the Sabres and Leafs in the area

I think it is inevitable that he'll get a team and he'll move it to Hamilton. There just isn't that many folks wanting to invest in the NHL. Those that do, must accept the placement in an inferior US market, like Phoenix. He'll buy the team and pull an Art Modell on them. Mark my words.. Canada can support three teams in Ontario.

It's not quite over yet. Balsillie hasn't officially retracted his offer. And the court still controls the sale process. But, there's no June 22 auction anymore. The NHL still has to find a legitimate buyer and present it to the judge. So, as of yet, this saga is not quite over...I would just say delayed until a new owner is found if they can find one.

Kind of like how some financial panther from Toronto made a statement about Phoenix not being viable. These people can spin things in any direction they want.

That's the same guy who was on GR today. His study was cursory at best.

ACCESS DENIED!!!

:worthy: Offer Rejected

So, based on that article:

"The potential buyers it floated in court documents -- including Toronto Argonauts owners Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon, and Chicago White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf -- now have the opportunity to take control of a franchise that has lost over $300 million since the Winnipeg Jets moved to the desert in 1996."

One of the other possible buyers are the Argo owners who according to THIS ARTICLE: "the owner of the B.C. Lions secretly fronted David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski half of the $2 million franchise fee to purchase the Toronto Argonauts out of bankruptcy in 2003 and continued to lend the team money."

I guess we can guess who the #1 option is in the NHL's mind. :rolleyes:

This is unquestionably good news for the Sabres.

As for Balsillie, I think he won't get a franchise unless and until he plays by the NHL rules:

1. no team in Hamilton

2. stop trying to force the NHL into #1

3. generally get with the program

And while it's possible, it's hard to see him agreeing to play by those rules anytime soon. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to submit to someone else's rules.

Guest Sloth

Now that the Sabres are safe, I am lmao at Balsillie. I'm sure he is very mad right now, but I could give a flying puck. If a Hamilton team was created, Balsillie says he "believes" the Sabres franchise would be safe, but he knows Buffalo's small market could not sustain a 15% loss in revenue. Time to break out the beer and celebrate Balsillie's latest failure to get a hold of an NHL team. :beer:

Now that the Sabres are safe, I am lmao at Balsillie. I'm sure he is very mad right now, but I could give a flying puck. If a Hamilton team was created, Balsillie says he "believes" the Sabres franchise would be safe, but he knows Buffalo's small market could not sustain a 15% loss in revenue. Time to break out the beer and celebrate Balsillie's latest failure to get a hold of an NHL team. :beer:

This doesn't mean he's done. Probably just delayed.

As for Balsillie, I think he won't get a franchise unless and until he plays by the NHL rules:

1. no team in Hamilton

And while it's possible, it's hard to see him agreeing to play by those rules anytime soon. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to submit to someone else's rules.

Balsillie, easily could have bought another Canadian team, or any team for tha matter, for a few years. Kept them where they were to get in the good graces of the league and other owners and then sold them before buying another team to move to Hamilton.

Balsillie, easily could have bought another Canadian team, or any team for tha matter, for a few years. Kept them where they were to get in the good graces of the league and other oqwner and then sold them before buying another team to move to Hamilton.

I agree on the 1st part of this, but not the 2nd. The NHL doesn't want to move any of its existing teams to Hamilton. It wants to make its existing teams work where they are. Now, if Balsillie had played it cool and done as you said, and events had naturally progressed to the point where a franchise was failing and absolutely had to be moved AND (and this is the most unlikely part) the NHL agreed on Hamilton (and not Vegas baby Vegas or KC or Seattle) as the destination -- then he would've, as you said, been in prime position to jump on it and maybe get his Hamilton team. But I don't think the NHL has any intention of reducing the number of US based teams anytime soon.

1. no team in Hamilton

Get inside and then try to change things. Don't try to change everything from the outside. Is he too thick headed to realize this?

Get inside and then try to change things. Don't try to change everything from the outside. Is he too thick headed to realize this?

He probably understands that even if he follows the rules, Toronto will never allow a team in Hamilton. So he tried an end run, and he'll probably try more.

Most teams have long term lease agreements and are profitable.

Even Nashville, which I don't think has been profitable, was difficult to move because of lease agreements.

Guest Sloth
This doesn't mean he's done. Probably just delayed.

If he was able to land a team in Hamilton, I hope it is not for a LONG time. I really don't think the NHL would let it happen, though. The NHL knows what importance the Sabres franchise has w/ the local community, the hockey community in general, and w/ the NHL itself.

The Bills are most likely, sickens me to say it, on their way to Toronto. I pray someone like Tommy G. would step in and purchase the franchise after Ralphie passes on. If Buffalo lost both teams, I could no longer watch pro sports. They are the only teams that I have a passion for. The ONLY college I love very much is Mississippi State - Please don't laugh at that. I ran track and field there. So if Buffalo sports, hockey and football, came to an end, my support for those sports would come to an end as well. What the heck would I do w/ my spare time?!

Can any of you actually have the love, the passion, the attachment, etc... for a team you have never cared about before?

The saga continues. Looks like Ballsy is extending his offer until 9/15 which he says still is enough time to move the team to Hamilton. NHL hasn't ponyed up a real buyer yet either. But still has the summer to find someone. Wonder if both the Sabres and Leafs will stay silent the whole summer.

The saga continues. Looks like Ballsy is extending his offer until 9/15 which he says still is enough time to move the team to Hamilton. NHL hasn't ponyed up a real buyer yet either. But still has the summer to find someone. Wonder if both the Sabres and Leafs will stay silent the whole summer.

Training camp will have started at that point, so yeah, more than enough time to move the team to Hamilton. :rolleyes:

Good luck with that one, Balsillie. There's about a toothpick sized portion of the bridge that isn't burned yet, so break out the flamethrower.

Again...

• There is no history of any relocated professional sports team having a negative impact on a neighboring franchise.
  • There is a ridiculous abundance of hockey fan/ ticket buyers in the 'Golden Horseshoe' area. More than enough to go around.
  • Allowing Balsillie into the league along with his billions would be a boon to league. An additional boost to this hockey region, redefining a new rivalry amongst the pro teams.

Let the man bring the team to the Hammer.

Lighten-up nay-sayers. Embrace the prospect that would provide a pro team to millions of other hockey fans like ourselves.

Phoenix has had their opportunity.

The experiment is over in the desert.

Again...
  • There is no history of any relocated professional sports team having a negative impact on a neighboring franchise.
  • There is a ridiculous abundance of hockey fan/ ticket buyers in the 'Golden Horseshoe' area. More than enough to go around.
  • Allowing Balsillie into the league along with his billions would be a boon to league. An additional boost to this hockey region, redefining a new rivalry amongst the pro teams.

Lighten-up nay-sayers. Embrace the prospect that would provide a pro team to millions of other hockey fans like ourselves.

I can probably guarantee you that the Nationals have had a decidedly negative impact on the Orioles.

Again...

I couldn't agree more. I really don't see what the big deal is with a team in Hamilton. And I just don't see how having a passionate NHL owner is a bad thing. Maybe Sabres fans just fear the unknown.

I can probably guarantee you that the Nationals have had a decidedly negative impact on the Orioles.

I think the Orioles have had a more negative impact on the Orioles than the Nationals have.

I think the Orioles have had a more negative impact on the Orioles than the Nationals have.

teams that are struggling are the ones that can be damaged the most. Regardless, my point stands. I bet crowds are less today than before the Nationals came to town.

The Nationals have had a decidedly negative impact on Washington.

(Seriously, though, I left the area a few years ago--is Orioles attendance slumping? Is it due to the Nats?)

The Nationals have had a decidedly negative impact on Washington.

(Seriously, though, I left the area a few years ago--is Orioles attendance slumping? Is it due to the Nats?)

I don't think one has anything to do with the other, but obviously the Orioles attendance has taken a turn for the worse and does coincide with the arrival of Washington.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml

Archived