Phoenix gone? (Judge rules Balsillie back in play)

spndnchz

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hamilton get a team?

going bankrupt, I'll take a Jokinen.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=260821&lid...s=headlines_nhl

I certainly hope they can turn it around since I just moved out here and manage to get to a few games. The Coyotes are a young exciting team and apparently the arena deal in Glendale, combined with bad seasons in a row is definitely hurting their attendance and therefore revenue. My hope is that with the wins coming more frequently their attendance will go up.

I certainly hope they can turn it around since I just moved out here and manage to get to a few games. The Coyotes are a young exciting team and apparently the arena deal in Glendale, combined with bad seasons in a row is definitely hurting their attendance and therefore revenue. My hope is that with the wins coming more frequently their attendance will go up.

Actually another article on the story states that attendance is up significantly this season and despite the reported losses, the team hasn't up till now had to dip into any of the owner's other companies funds. The main problem is that besides the arena and parking deal, the owners other business is in trouble and he just wants out.

Actually another article on the story states that attendance is up significantly this season and despite the reported losses, the team hasn't up till now had to dip into any of the owner's other companies funds. The main problem is that besides the arena and parking deal, the owners other business is in trouble and he just wants out.

Thanks for the additional info, I flew through the article although it has been a topic on sports radio out here so have been hearing some rumblings. They are winning more at home which helps the attendance (TV ratings up, too) and most of the local sports talk has been around the team's need to win in order to build attendance. I have quite a few hockey fans at work so I know they are out here, but they need to win. Meanwhile, after X-mas I am going to see about putting a down payment on season's for next year to do what I can to support them. They are an exciting young team and I would hate to see them move now when they are on the edge of becoming a true competitor. I happen to be close to the arena and the plaza around it is fantastic.

And to whoever said they would take Doan, he would be the one to take. He is truly amazing to watch in person, guy is a freaking horse. Love him.

What's truly amazing is the concept of ice hockey in the desert has survived this long.

Hockey programs for kids have really grown and there are more ice rinks it seems than back east, and they are open year round. More open skates to choose from mainly due to less adult leagues, but I've already been told about a women's league out here that I can join (yes, I am a woman, not a guy looking to play in a women's league :D )

Think of it this way, what better place to go to cool off on 115 degree day than an ice rink?

I was stationed in Yuma while I was a jarhead in the late 80's n 90's..Phoenix was growing pretty good then..With all the transplanted population there I am surprised they dont draw better..On the flipside there is a lot more to do there in the winter than go to a hockey game like Buffalo or the northern cities..

I was stationed in Yuma while I was a jarhead in the late 80's n 90's..Phoenix was growing pretty good then..With all the transplanted population there I am surprised they dont draw better..On the flipside there is a lot more to do there in the winter than go to a hockey game like Buffalo or the northern cities..

While the growth has, obviously, slowed down since the 90's the population is still growing quite a bit out here. There are people (transplants) who make a living out of transplanting things from back east. I do think that contributes to the Yotes gaining some popularity but until the west side of the city grows even more both in business and in residents it will be a bit of struggle to get the revenue where it needs to be. All of the corporate money and those that buy season tickets tend to be in Scottsdale and other eastern suburbs so it remains to see what can be done...

No one goes to the games out here..they have to practically give the tix away...parking is FREE...no interest except when your favorite team comes to town...The Coyotes are always a page 5 sports story here!!!

So I am assuming you are going to the game Jan 31, then? I have tix 8 rows behind the Sabres bench - can't wait but we better not get spanked like we did last year.

Attendance is up but overall I agree, the last game I went to was against C-bus and while I was there I was thinking how sad it is to have the arena two thirds full (if that for that game) on a Saturday night. I am buying tix to games, talking them up at work, and looking to sign up for season's next as soon as I can. The arena and surrounding area are beautiful and really not hard to get to if you take 101 from the east side during the week, but I-10 is impossible so I can understand how some east siders find it hard to get to weeknight games.

Either way, I will continue to do my part to keep them here and hope that with some wins the attendance gets better. All I can do right about now. It is tough being in a four sport town to get the coverage so winning is a must in my opinion.

So I am assuming you are going to the game Jan 31, then? I have tix 8 rows behind the Sabres bench - can't wait but we better not get spanked like we did last year.

Attendance is up but overall I agree, the last game I went to was against C-bus and while I was there I was thinking how sad it is to have the arena two thirds full (if that for that game) on a Saturday night. I am buying tix to games, talking them up at work, and looking to sign up for season's next as soon as I can. The arena and surrounding area are beautiful and really not hard to get to if you take 101 from the east side during the week, but I-10 is impossible so I can understand how some east siders find it hard to get to weeknight games.

Either way, I will continue to do my part to keep them here and hope that with some wins the attendance gets better. All I can do right about now. It is tough being in a four sport town to get the coverage so winning is a must in my opinion.

We'll look for the Sabrespace.com sign! :thumbsup:

We'll look for the Sabrespace.com sign! :thumbsup:

Good Idea! I think I can swing that. I am REALLY hoping they play well here that night so I don't have to take crap from the people at work - although there is at least on other Sabre fan in my department so I would not be completely alone.

• 4 months later...

Coyotes haven't paid since August, NHL just gave them a huge loan and things are going back and forth if the NHL has control of the club.

Glendale city manager Ed Beasley told the Republic ... the league started running the team around the time a rent payment was made in late February.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277041

Maybe Jack Kemp will buy 'em?

send them back to Winnipeg where they belong!

Um, please no. Some of us go to games out here and have recruited fans at work. Also like what Maloney has done. Winnipeg's attendance was (unfortunately) no better so if they do move I think it would likely be somewhere else. I also don't think the NHL is ready to screw over the city of Glendale just yet. Just my take.

Archived