Phoenix gone? (Judge rules Balsillie back in play)

spndnchz

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hamilton get a team?

The saga continues...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280124

PHOENIX -- A U.S. bankruptcy court judge has accelerated the schedule for determining whether Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie can buy the Phoenix Coyotes and move the club to southern Ontario over the objection of the NHL.

At a hearing Wednesday, judge Redfield Baum called the relocation issue "the 10,000-pound elephant in the room" and said it needed to be resolved quickly.

He set a hearing for June 9 and promised a ruling shortly thereafter. All briefs and declarations must be submitted by June 5. The relocation hearing had been scheduled for June 22, but Balsillie has said he will withdraw his US$212.5-million offer if the sale is not completed by the end of June.

He thinks the move will help the Sabres:

bleacher report article

There's a lot of "grass is greener" assumptions going on in this article. Just because Balsillie really wants a franchise in Hamilton, doesn't mean he'll be any better an owner than Golisano, in fact, he could easily be worse. Toronto has proven that a team doesn't have to win in that market to make money. Corporate dollars aren't necessarily tied to wins, and Balsillie's business model will be tightly tied to corporate money due to the price he's paying for the franchise.

It's also assuming that Balsillie will place a top-notch management team in Hamilton, which means that he'll have to reduce Gretzky's role with the team (who hasn't proved to be anything special as a GM or a coach), an extremely difficult thing to do for a man trying to sell corporate suites in southern Ontario.

And finally, while Balsillie looks extremely willing to spend money on a Hamilton franchise, there's so guarantee that spending the most money results in the best team. The Rangers, Leafs, Yankees, and Redskins have all proven this premise false over the last few years.

Basically, depending on what conference the Hamilton team is placed in, the only impact to Buffalo is one more home sellout. Other than that, Buffalo will continue to do its own thing, good or bad.

NY Times thinks it will expose the league.

It's funny how the article claims that opening the Coyote's financial books could drive down franchise values in the league, but miss the fact that Balsillie's offer is more than double what Golisano paid for the Sabres.

Franchise values aren't going to decrease if billionaires keep popping up to pay top dollar to buy and move them.

Balsillie appeared on ESPN Radio on Friday, and the Blackberry mogul said the number of hockey die-hards in the area would allow all three teams to thrive if his bid to purchase and move the Coyotes is accepted.

What else would he have said?

The NHL Players? Association, meanwhile, is in favor of moving the Coyotes out of Arizona. Executive Director Paul Kelly, while remaining neutral on whether the team should reside in Southern Ontario, told the Hamilton Spectator this week the NHL?s experiment in the desert has dried up.

No kidding? really?

Question 1: Is that part of the $212.5 million or in addition? Sounds like it is part of it.

Question 2: Is that relocation fee to the NHL the only relocation fee or will he still have to pay the Sabres and TO?

Question 1: Is that part of the $212.5 million or in addition? Sounds like it is part of it.

in addition to

Question 2: Is that relocation fee to the NHL the only relocation fee or will he still have to pay the Sabres and TO?

Seems the Sabres are not within "territorial" space. See below

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/mone...article1174147/

Last game in Hamilton they paid Toronto 150 grand.

The Leafs? territory is defined by the NHL as a radius of 80 kilometres from the Air Canada Centre. Hamilton?s Copps Coliseum, according to mapquest.com, sits 67.75 kilometres from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The home of the Sabres, HSBC Arena, is 106.45 kilometres from Copps, which is why the Sabres have never been mentioned in the territorial-rights arguments.

He could just move 8 miles out of town and be out of Leaf territory.

If it's in addition to then I don't see why Ballsy wouldn't pony up. It's been speculated that it couldn't get him to give up though although I think he wouldn't. However, I've also read that even if Ballsy does get it, he's not in the clear likely as I read that TO will fight to the death to keep them out of the "turf" or anyone else out. It's just part one.

The drama continues.

So, regarding that article today about the Hamilton councilman saying the Sabres should support Hamilton's bid for bringing a team to Hamilton or risk a boycott? What? Does he hear the words that are coming out of his mouth? Hope he wasn't a lawyer in his previous occupation or anything that required logic or reasoning. I just have one word for that guy...asshat.

So, regarding that article today about the Hamilton councilman saying the Sabres should support Hamilton's bid for bringing a team to Hamilton or risk a boycott? What? Does he hear the words that are coming out of his mouth? Hope he wasn't a lawyer in his previous occupation or anything that required logic or reasoning. I just have one word for that guy...asshat.

Yeah, that whole thing was nothing more than propaganda. I think it was the very thing this smiley was made for:

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Oh no it is true, he's got quite the pull. I heard the whole city of Toronto and Hamilton wasn't coming over the bridge. Oh. Wait. That was that enhanced license article. NM

If Sabres are worth 169 million

http://www.forbes.com/sports/lists/2008/31...res_313362.html

and Toronto is worth 448 million

http://www.forbes.com/sports/lists/2008/31...afs_312012.html

so a relocation fee of 100 million

plus 100 million to the Sabres and 250 to the Leafs ought to do it?

on top of 212 for the team?

$670 for a club sounds big to me, even for SillyBalls.

He should just buy the Habs for 350.

Anybody here or read the interview with that financial planner on GR this morning saying the Sabres are the least financially viable team in the league? Ouch. Wouldn't that just add more ammunition for the NHL to argue against moving the Coyotes? I will also predict that LQ and company may use this little tidbit in the future as an explanation for something this and that.

Anybody here or read the interview with that financial planner on GR this morning saying the Sabres are the least financially viable team in the league? Ouch. Wouldn't that just add more ammunition for the NHL to argue against moving the Coyotes? I will also predict that LQ and company may use this little tidbit in the future as an explanation for something this and that.

A bit off IMO. He only looked at gate revenues from what I saw. A lot of cheap tix in B-lo. Sabres are selling more merchandise than most teams, which wasn't looked at.

A bit off IMO. He only looked at gate revenues from what I saw. A lot of cheap tix in B-lo. Sabres are selling more merchandise than most teams, which wasn't looked at.

Kind of like how some financial panther from Toronto made a statement about Phoenix not being viable. These people can spin things in any direction they want.

Judge is supposed to hand down a ruling today according to TSN. Tick tock. 4 pm in Aridzona. Perhaps in the next hour maybe?

It also said that if the NHL loses, it will appeal which likely would cause the Coyotes to not play this year.

Judge is supposed to hand down a ruling today according to TSN. Tick tock. 4 pm in Aridzona. Perhaps in the next hour maybe?

It also said that if the NHL loses, it will appeal which likely would cause the Coyotes to not play this year.

Put that into your scheduling program. That would make a mess of things.

Archived