Golisano selling the team?

cdexchange

Frankly, I was shocked and taken aback by the report. Of course, I always knew that he could sell the team eventually, but usually there are more grumblings and such. I would hate to see Balsillie as owner. The thing that bothers me most is that if a local ownership group couldn't be found last time, who the heck would be buying it this time especially in this economic climate. And, if it is from outside, then I have very dim hopes of the long term future as soon as things go south. Plus, I think you can just pull the plug on the season if the stories are substantiated as the team will now be distracted. We'll see. I'm going to say that if TG vehemently denies it then it's going to happen soon.

Attendance this yr doesnt look to be down much if it is at all...

Sorry, I had heard otherwise. My mistake. Unlike some people, I admit it when I'm wrong.

Obviously my "Homeboy" had nothing to do with the way the Sabres played during his time here..Sarcasm Off...

I'll never argue that point. He was an above average player.

I have a family and 2 jobs also but i am not gonna call Sabre fans bandwagonners if I am not paying to go myself...

ALL fanbases are bandwagon. Everyone likes a winner. Before the lockout, I would go months without seeing someone wearing Sabres gear, now I can't go out in public without seeing something with the slug on it.

Frankly, I was shocked and taken aback by the report. Of course, I always knew that he could sell the team eventually, but usually there are more grumblings and such. I would hate to see Balsillie as owner. The thing that bothers me most is that if a local ownership group couldn't be found last time, who the heck would be buying it this time especially in this economic climate. And, if it is from outside, then I have very dim hopes of the long term future as soon as things go south. Plus, I think you can just pull the plug on the season if the stories are substantiated as the team will now be distracted. We'll see. I'm going to say that if TG vehemently denies it then it's going to happen soon.

Previously TG stated he would not sell to someone interested in taking the team out of Buffalo. Let's hope that is the case. I can't imagine the NHL would want the Sabres to leave Buffalo. How many better markets in the US are there for hockey?

I'm really not concerned about the story and fell there is zero chance of the Sabres going anywhere. I doubt the NHL would approve any deal that would cause them to lose of of their few true "hockey markets".

It also seems that TG may be freeing himself up to concentrate more on his political endeavors. If the sale of the Sabres caused the team to move it would kill any political influence he may have in WNY.

I guess this is optimism at its best but, couldn't this be a very good thing? Balsille buys the Sabres and will spend money to bring in players. Golisano is freed up buy the Bills with Jim Kelly and the Bills stay in Buffalo.

and maybe, just maybe LQ was given some ownership because Golisano wanted to make sure he was rewarded when the team was sold.

Based on the report and the fact that one of the groups has NHL experience, my gut feel is that it is probably the group that is headed up by Doug MacLean. I have no evidence beyond my own intuition, but MacLean has been wanting to get back into the NHL after he was fired by the Blue Jackets and had an investor group to buy out the Lightning, but that deal fell through. So, I would not be surprised if he's rounded up his investor group to try and put a deal together to buy out the Sabres at a lower price than he would have had to pay for the Lightning.

As much as I hate the way LQ has run this organization, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'd rather have LQ running the Sabres instead of MacLean given the train wreck that is the Columbus Blue Jackets. And, let's assume for a second it is MacLean's team that buys out the Sabres. What happens to guys like Darcy and Lindy? If MacLean's running the show, I imagine he would get rid of Darcy immediately, which I probably would not think is a good idea as Darcy's done a better job of running a hockey organization than MacLean ever has. I do think that MacLean would likely keep Lindy around as they have a connection from their Florida Panthers days as Lindy was MacLean's assistant coach the year that Florida went to the Stanley Cup Finals. But, MacLean has not been one who is known for continuity, so given how badly he assembles talent and his precedent for firing coaches of bad teams, I would not be surprised that Lindy would be canned soon after MacLean came in.

As for the report that Balsillie is a secondary option, it would be interesting. I'm not in favor of the Sabres playing a few games in Hamilton to grow the fan base there as this is Buffalo's team. But, it's not completely unprecedented as I remember the Sabres played a few games in Rochester when Golisano first took over. I'd be okay with it if it's like maybe 2-3 games a year max, but if the Sabres start playing half their home schedule in Hamilton, then this really no longer is Buffalo's team and I cannot accept that. I think Balsillie is the type of owner that you want in that he's passionate, competitive, and he knows how to win in business, and loves hockey. He'd also be willing to spend to the max of the cap is what I imagine. However, I just don't trust his motives at all. We all know he wants to own a team close to his home in Waterloo. Buffalo is the closest team today. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to pick up the Sabres and just move them 80 miles Northwest. But, if he really wants a team there, he'll probably do it. Needless to say, guys like Lindy and Darcy would most likely be immediately fired if Balsillie became owner.

I'm not surprised that this is the path that Golisano is pursuing, but I'm not sure I like it. For me, the two most important things are keeping this team in Buffalo, and keeping some level of continuity in the front office and the coaching staff. As much as I have criticized Darcy in the past, I'm not sure that there are too many better GMs, and there really isn't a better coach than Lindy around. I'd be willing to see a new GM if that means keeping Lindy around, but knowing what I know about the NHL, if you get a new GM more often than not, it means a new coach. So, I'd rather keep Darcy if that means we get to keep Lindy.

I am just not worried about any team moving anywhere in this economy. I mentioned this on the Bills site about them moving. For a team to be sold and then move, there would have to be a brand new arena/stadium to go to. New arenas/stadiums are almost always payed for by the local municipalities where the team is going. They don't have any money right now so I don't think anyone is building anything. They can't even afford to build new ones for teams already there that really need one(Islanders). Unfortunately, I think we are stuck with the Bills and Sabres for quite some time.

this is weirdly unsettling to me.

it's especially strange that the report surfaces a day after the bills played in toronto. (on that score, i will acknowledge that i wound up way more disturbed by that happening than i had expected -- i actually turned the game off just a few minutes in -- i couldn't bear to watch -- i'm sure the quality of our team had something to do with that.)

so, this report from kelley is at once unnerving and at the same time a source of some hope for me.

there's some inherent uncertainty in having the team sold, but i think the league is committed to us as a solid hockey market. so i don't think the league/TO will let us be sold and moved to hamilton. and mr. RIM and hamilton are the only threat in terms of moving the team, i think.

the hope comes from the possibility that we might get an owner in here who's legitimately passionate about winning a cup and that we may be able to say buh-bye (AGAIN) to the LQ.

Passionate or not, I have a hard time seeing any new owner buying the Sabres and spending all the way to the cap. The amount of cash that can be wrung out of the WNY market is limited. My guess is that current management has done a good job of getting very close to that limit. There just isn't much left, and the pot is shrinking, not growing, as the national and regional economy continues to contract. So that means that spending to the cap would result in multi-million dollar losses, which I don't see anyone willing to subsidize on an ongoing basis.

It's a devil's bargain. Quinn/McLean would mean more years of bad management and dysfunctional teams. Basille would mean ownership committed to winning, but a threat to lose the team to Canada.

I will say this about Buffalo. As poor as the area is, it's obvious there is enough money to support both NFL and NHL teams. Take the Bills away, and the Sabres have the sports dollars all to themselves. Build a winner and people will pay whatever and still sell out the house. I can see the Bills going but taking the Sabres from Buffalo would be a crime.

PTR

Passionate or not, I have a hard time seeing any new owner buying the Sabres and spending all the way to the cap. The amount of cash that can be wrung out of the WNY market is limited. My guess is that current management has done a good job of getting very close to that limit. There just isn't much left, and the pot is shrinking, not growing, as the national and regional economy continues to contract. So that means that spending to the cap would result in multi-million dollar losses, which I don't see anyone willing to subsidize on an ongoing basis.

didn't mean to suggest by my fare thee well to the LQ that i thought new ownership might come in and go max-cap -- for reasons that are as much visceral as anything, i'd just like to see the guy and his ginormous ego gone.

Unfortunately, Quinn's word has very little credibility given the uniform fiasco and the 2007 offseason fiasco as well. I pretty much take anything LQ says with a grain of salt.

Also, it's entirely possible that TG is seeling the team without involving LQ.

After all, he's paid to run the team, whether TG sells the entire organisation is really none of Larry's business.

Even if he does hold a minor share of the team, TG can do whatever he wants with his, and all LQ can do is put up and shut up.

Also, it's entirely possible that TG is seeling the team without involving LQ.

After all, he's paid to run the team, whether TG sells the entire organisation is really none of Larry's business.

Even if he does hold a minor share of the team, TG can do whatever he wants with his, and all LQ can do is put up and shut up.

Golisano can sell his shares. From what I understand LQ is a minority owner now.

Sorry, I had heard otherwise. My mistake. Unlike some people, I admit it when I'm wrong.

I'll never argue that point. He was an above average player.

ALL fanbases are bandwagon. Everyone likes a winner. Before the lockout, I would go months without seeing someone wearing Sabres gear, now I can't go out in public without seeing something with the slug on it.

In most cases I would agree but this Sabres team hasnt really won squat and yet these "bandwagon" fans come out in droves..It could be a monday night game against a soso opponent and they still show....It truly is something..I wont pay for this crap yet somehow there are 18k people in BUffalo that do..More power to them..If they take that away from those that are willing I would be upset..Although if they keep playing like this it wont be long before you gotta say wouldnt it be nice to share some of our misery like the Bills..LOL..

I don't think anyone should be worried. We have a proven hockey market here. It does not benefit the NHL to move a team from this city, therefore, it will not happen.

That being said, we should all be mad about the prospect of playing some of the home schedule outside of HSBC arena. That would be so ridiculous and uneeded.

In most cases I would agree but this Sabres team hasnt really won squat and yet these "bandwagon" fans come out in droves..It could be a monday night game against a soso opponent and they still show....It truly is something..I wont pay for this crap yet somehow there are 18k people in BUffalo that do..More power to them..If they take that away from those that are willing I would be upset..Although if they keep playing like this it wont be long before you gotta say wouldnt it be nice to share some of our misery like the Bills..LOL..

I don't disagree with any of this, I guess I just carry less of a stigma with the word bandwagon than you. I've noticed the vanishing fandom in fanboys that I work with.

I don't disagree with any of this, I guess I just carry less of a stigma with the word bandwagon than you. I've noticed the vanishing fandom in fanboys that I work with.

MAybe..Bandwagon to me is a person who never even watched a sabre game before and as soon as they are the ticket buying all the gear..Thats what I would call a bandwagon fan...I could be off base though..

Only in Buffalo can you go from a month where the fans are talking making the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup to talking about both teams moving out of the city. :cry:

So true and sad at the same time.

Now that is the truth. They may sell out the seats but what they still do not have is the large corporate supporters, sponsors and local cable/tv revenue that large market cities like NY, Philly, Montreal, et al. Does Buffalo have/charge for a seat license? others do and can..

I don't think anyone should be worried. We have a proven hockey market here. It does not benefit the NHL to move a team from this city, therefore, it will not happen.

agreed. i also think that the nhl perceives the strong probability that the bills will be gone from this market in the not too distant future (sorry to say it, but the economics dictate it, i think -- there's just too much money being left on the table in having the franchise in this market in that stadium).

That being said, we should all be mad about the prospect of playing some of the home schedule outside of HSBC arena. That would be so ridiculous and uneeded.

you know, i find myself contemplating a sort of faustian bargain whereby we would take on an owner who's a billionaire hockey fantatic who would spend to a loss in order to pursue a cup, and, in exchange, would for the time being take 3-5 games to hamilton per year (i would foresee maybe 3 saturday night games against canadian opponents) and would present some additional level of uncertainty on a go-forward basis.

not saying it's a deal worth taking, but damn it, i find myself thinking about it.

I agree. I have little problem with the team being sold, but the thought of "home" games being played outside of Buffalo is not a pleasant scenario.

Archived