[OT] Bills discussion

Corp000085

I went to the game in Miami...

- What a comedy of errors...the ball being snapped over the punters head, turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, bad replay challenge, leaving an injured CB in the game despite the fact that he clearly couldn't cover anyone, etc...

Where'd you sit? I was about 30 rows up in the corner opposite of the scoreboard, on the Bills sideline.

And what exactly was the issue with the challenge? The second the guy touched it I was immediately looking for someone to point out that he was out of bounds.

Where'd you sit? I was about 30 rows up in the corner opposite of the scoreboard, on the Bills sideline.

And what exactly was the issue with the challenge? The second the guy touched it I was immediately looking for someone to point out that he was out of bounds.

I was in the corner on the Miami sideline by the endzone where Edwards got sacked for the safety. I am not sure what the challenge was, but it appeared that whomever is in charge of challenges upstair for the Bills, did not understand the rule. Furthermore, I am not even sure what the rule is and I haven't heard any comment on this since I have not been in town.

I was in the corner on the Miami sideline by the endzone where Edwards got sacked for the safety. I am not sure what the challenge was, but it appeared that whomever is in charge of challenges upstair for the Bills, did not understand the rule. Furthermore, I am not even sure what the rule is and I haven't heard any comment on this since I have not been in town.

Yeah, I was on the opposite side of that endzone. If that had to happen, why right in front of me?

I've looked around a bit and haven't seen anything on the challenge either. It was just a quick scan, but I didn't see any specific threads on TSW (and I'm not skimming through full threads) and nothing in the Buffalo News. You'd think that if it was a rules issue, they would never throw the flag with all the time they had. Other than that, the guy was clearly out of bounds twice before he touched it.

The views they showed on TV did not give a clear indication that he stepped out prior to touching the ball - or perhaps the ref's didn't care he stepped out since the ball was already out of bounds. Who knows, the refs didn't explain it and the TV folk sure have no clue what the rules are.

The views they showed on TV did not give a clear indication that he stepped out prior to touching the ball - or perhaps the ref's didn't care he stepped out since the ball was already out of bounds. Who knows, the refs didn't explain it and the TV folk sure have no clue what the rules are.

I'm pretty sure it goes something along the lines of, a player that is forced out of bounds can re-enter the field of play within a given distance of where he went out. They can't continue running up the sideline.

As for being the first one to touch the ball, it follows those "guildlines". He can touch the ball as long as he didn't stay out of bounds for a given amount of time or distance from where he went out.

I'm pretty sure it goes something along the lines of, a player that is forced out of bounds can re-enter the field of play within a given distance of where he went out. They can't continue running up the sideline.

As for being the first one to touch the ball, it follows those "guildlines". He can touch the ball as long as he didn't stay out of bounds for a given amount of time or distance from where he went out.

No, a player on the kicking team that has gone out of bounds cannot be the 1st player to touch the ball, regardless of whether he is inbounds again or not. On the replays they never showed if he went out of bounds upfield, I am assuming he didn't. The right foot defintely wasn't touching out of bounds when he touched the ball. The left foot was on the ground out of bounds when he touched the ball, so I expected the call to be overturned.

But, when a punter kicks the ball out of bounds in the air, they spot the ball at the point where the ball crossed the sideline; so for the case of punts, it appears that the ball is out when it is over the line, not when it touches out of bounds. In which case, the Fish definitely didn't touch the ball until it was out of bounds, and it was a good call as the ball was over the line before the Illegal Fish touched the ball.

It was good to see that neither CBS announcer bothered to know the rule, nor were there any interns around that knew the rule either. It sure would have been annoying to understand why the call was ruled good. /sarcasm

Can you believe this Bills game today. The absolute worst coached game of all time. Giving the game away....

Agreed. 1. Who tells Jauron to challenge a call? Anyone could see the Jet player made that catch. I guess it's some guy up in the booth who WANTS the play to be incomplete. If it Jauron himself, fire his ass right now. :) 2. The fake punt. What the hell. Does Jauron not understand the concept or risk vs. reward? Getting a first down at your own 30 is not exactly equivalent to giving the Jets the ball that deep in your territory. Ridiculous.

Just a trainwreck all around. Edwards is quickly being beaten into submission, or into J.P. Losman. The happy feet and the ball patting and the mental paralysis have arrived in his game. The Bills can't run the ball. They can't get off the field. Too many men on the field. Lindell misses a short kick. Moorman shanks one. Holy man.

I think this team fell in love with itself after 4-0. Unfortunately, someone apparently fell in love with Jauron too soon, too. The guy is a career loser. He's just working his way back to average, that's all.

I feel the pain of all true Bills fans. I'm just a hockey fan who likes the Bills. I can't afford twice as much aggravation and heartbreak in my sporting life.

Trent stopped throwing after the pick-6 and started aiming the ball. You could also tell he missed Josh Reed a lot today. Bottom line, with five turnovers over the last two losses - three TO's today and two last week -- and three fumbles in the last two weeks - Trent has got to take better care of the ball.

The offensive line, and Whittle in particular, was awful today. Shades of 2007 -- the defense couldn't get off the field late in the game.

I don't understand that out of bounds kick thing at all...How is it a penalty on the Bills if the Jets player touches the ball while out of bound?

I don't understand that rule either, especially because Washington had one foot in and one out, and went out on his own volition. A gunner can't be the first to touch the ball on a punt if he goes out of bounds, why is a returner allowed to go out of bounds under his own power and touch a ball that is in-play and have the kicking team get penalized? Just seems weird.

It starts and ends in the trenches IMO, and the bills' lines on both sides of the ball got outplayed considerably. On the offensive side of the ball it doesn't make much sense to even carry running backs on this roster. Not even LT could pick up yards with that half-a$$ed assembly of overgrown whimps. For the millions of dollars these guys are paid, you'd think the coaches could communicate that an OLs job involves both stopping the pass rush AND opening holes for the running game. Without the running game, the complexity of an offense goes down the drain. It seemed like the Jets, whether it be with tenacity on the line or just good play calling, were well aware of the bills game plan once their inability to run was discovered.

As far as the defensive line is concerned, do these players understand that pressuring the QB means nothing without getting a few hits on him. Favre looked like vintage Edwards with all his short yardage throws. Thomas Jones was able to run wild when it mattered most, in the last ten minutes of the game. The sad thing is, I don't think that getting Aaron Schobel will fix much of this mess. Sure he will be an upgrade from Denney/Kelsay, but he hasn't been the sack happy force he used to be since he signed his big deal.

Overall, this was a team loss. However, I think when people use this cliche, it is mostly covering up weak line play, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Trent has looked extremely flustered the past two weeks and I thinks thats because whenever there is pressure, he sees flashbacks to AZ. I can't say I blame him, I wouldn't trust the line in front of me. Would you want someone like Jason Peters protecting your backside? This is a guy who, by not showing up at training camp and by stating in interviews that he is having another "pro-bowl caliber season," cares only about getting more money rather than protecting the most important mind in the Buffalo Bills organization.

One word to anyone who wants to get paid, make the playoffs, return the team to glory, etc. Just WIN!!!!! That's it, do whatever it takes. Play desperate like your professional athlete counterparts on the ice. Here's hoping that after two straight losses the Bills, like the Sabres, can go in and trounce a team missing their best player (Brady/Ovechkin).

GO BILLS! GO SABRES!

This is a recurring theme across all sports. Fans who don't understand the rules have nothing left but to insist the ref blew the call. I give you No Goal. And Music City Miracle.

I agree w/ you to a large extent, but that goal was a "no goal." I won't argue the Music City call. Did it suck; meaning the Bills were about to knocked out. Yes, it did. If Buffalo was the home team the call would've probably gone the other way.

Too bad the Bills are all of a sudden 5-3 and 0-2 in the division. Playoffs are looking questionable...

I agree w/ you to a large extent, but that goal was a "no goal." I won't argue the Music City call. Did it suck; meaning the Bills were about to knocked out. Yes, it did. If Buffalo was the home team the call would've probably gone the other way.

Too bad the Bills are all of a sudden 5-3 and 0-2 in the division. Playoffs are looking questionable...

See, this is the NFL. They don't care who's at home. It wasn't even a controversial decision. It's a lateral in Nashville, Buffalo, Fargo, Idaho, Winslow, Sarasota. OK, that's enough.

Ok i'm not going to say the refs lost it because they clearly didn't for Buffalo, but i got to question the NFL. Maybe some of your football first guru's can explain to me wtf happened. I love football, not as much as hockey though but i don't understand some rules.

1. Moorman's fake on the punt. The dude goes out of bounce and it's a first down Buffalo. BUT, there's a flag on the play. Holding. So, it should be 3rd down again? BUT, Jets decline the penalty and it's 4th down, YET review the mark on the play. It was clearly a first down. How come, after the Jets lost the review, did they have to punt? The penalty was declined. How can it be accepted after it has been declined?

2. Leon Washington steps OUT OF BOUNCE and reaches over to grab the ball, making it an out of bounce kick? WTF? I've NEVER seen that, i am not debating that that was an illegal play, but thats just the DUMBEST rule i've ever heard of.

Oh well. We just need to get back to basics and get healthy. We need Youboty and Schobel back. And we need Lynch at 100%. I'm going to Foxboro on Sunday and hopefully we can come back with a big victory. And hopefully the Colts can beat the Pats tonight too.

Wycheck was on the 24. At the throwing point, the ball was on the 25. And Dyson made the catch on the 26. Hmm... Sounds like a forward lateral to me. Unless Wycheck's right arm is 6 feet long.

Ok i'm not going to say the refs lost it because they clearly didn't for Buffalo, but i got to question the NFL. Maybe some of your football first guru's can explain to me wtf happened. I love football, not as much as hockey though but i don't understand some rules.

1. Moorman's fake on the punt. The dude goes out of bounce and it's a first down Buffalo. BUT, there's a flag on the play. Holding. So, it should be 3rd down again? BUT, Jets decline the penalty and it's 4th down, YET review the mark on the play. It was clearly a first down. How come, after the Jets lost the review, did they have to punt? The penalty was declined. How can it be accepted after it has been declined?

3rd down had already been played. When the Moorman did the fake punt, it was on 4th down. If he didn't get the first down, NJ declines and gets the ball. Moorman did get the first down, so NY accepted the penalty and forced the Bills to punt.

I agree, though, a number of the NFL's rules are questionable.

I'll always choose hockey over football.

3rd down had already been played. When the Moorman did the fake punt, it was on 4th down. If he didn't get the first down, NJ declines and gets the ball. Moorman did get the first down, so NY accepted the penalty and forced the Bills to punt.

I agree, though, a number of the NFL's rules are questionable.

I'll always choose hockey over football.

lol yeah i meant 4th down. But after they declined the penalty, why doesn't the first down stand? They declined it.

lol yeah i meant 4th down. But after they declined the penalty, why doesn't the first down stand? They declined it.

Mangini didn't decline the penalty out of hand. The ref assumed he was going to decline based on the spot they initially gave the Bills after the Moorman run. The original spot was short of the 1st down, so the ref assumed the Jets wanted to decline. You could see that the Jets sideline wanted a measurement to see what their options were.

The Bills had to challenge to get the right to punt the ball away.

Archived