Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm not going to get any sympathy for this from anyone who can't work from home, but whatever. I have to be on campus every single day this semester, but that's not really my complaint. On two days the task I have to complete will take about 10-15 minutes, that's it--everything else I'd be working on these days can be done at home. But the entire process of getting to and from campus means I'll be spending at least an hour of my time for 10 minutes of work. Talk about inefficiency.

I've had the flu. It sucked. Bad. I'm not saying that the flu doesn't exist or that people don't die from it or that the flu shot isn't necessary. I'm saying that I'm tired of the hype year after year that "This is the worst flu season ever! Pandemic right around the corner! Fear! Disease! Death! Fiscal Cliff! Debt Ceiling! We're DOOOOOOMED!"

I really got somethin' going this morning.

There's no way I'm not getting the flu now this year with all this bad karma I'm puttin' out there.

Once someone in the media learned the actual definition used by gov't health officials for the word "pandemic" all gloves were off.

I'm not going to get any sympathy for this from anyone who can't work from home, but whatever. I have to be on campus every single day this semester, but that's not really my complaint. On two days the task I have to complete will take about 10-15 minutes, that's it--everything else I'd be working on these days can be done at home. But the entire process of getting to and from campus means I'll be spending at least an hour of my time for 10 minutes of work. Talk about inefficiency.

Ah yes....when Government intersects with Higher Education......the two bastions of efficiency.......

Never mind the inconvenience, that north campus is a fargin' wind tunnel in the dead of winter.

My beef: Time Warner Cable, a/k/a the only broadband option I have at home. It is so GD unreliable and spotty. Everyone I know complains about them. I've had those bozos out to my house a half-dozen times over the years and nothing ever changes.

Last night, during my fantasy hockey draft, I made my first-round pick and then promptly lost my internet connection until round 16. (The autopicks yahoo gave me will probably end up being better than the team I would've chosen, but that's another story.)

Fios is allegedly coming to my neighborhood, but who knows how long it will take. In the meantime, I'm stuck with the joys of an unmotivated monopoly provider.

My beef: Time Warner Cable, a/k/a the only broadband option I have at home. It is so GD unreliable and spotty. Everyone I know complains about them. I've had those bozos out to my house a half-dozen times over the years and nothing ever changes.

Last night, during my fantasy hockey draft, I made my first-round pick and then promptly lost my internet connection until round 16. (The autopicks yahoo gave me will probably end up being better than the team I would've chosen, but that's another story.)

Fios is allegedly coming to my neighborhood, but who knows how long it will take. In the meantime, I'm stuck with the joys of an unmotivated monopoly provider.

TWC internet does suck. I haven't had the problems you describe, but it's extremely lackluster at streaming video--I either can't get HD (which I should given the cable speed I pay for) or the stream always catches up to the download and I have to buffer every 10 seconds or so.

That said, I wouldn't count on Fios. It's been awhile so maybe something has changed, but I read early last year that Verizon had ceased expansion of the service.

Man you guys are bad at guessing... I'd wager weave's real complaint has more to do with a certain NYS law passed recently.

For me: my grandfather has been in and out of the hospital (but mostly in) for the last several weeks. They can't seem to figure out if his breathing issues are related to his leukemia or if he has pneumonia or congestive heart failure. We all know he's on borrowed time, but it'd be nice if he can at least be comfortable at home for whatever time is left.

Edit: nfreeman, can you get CLEAR in your area? I know it's not everywhere, but so far I've been pretty happy with them since switching this past August.

Edited by biodork

Man you guys are bad at guessing... I'd wager weave's real complaint has more to do with a certain NYS law passed recently.

For me: my grandfather has been in and out of the hospital (but mostly in) for the last several weeks. They can't seem to figure out if his breathing issues are related to his leukemia or if he has pneumonia or congestive heart failure. We all know he's on borrowed time, but it'd be nice if he can at least be comfortable at home for whatever time is left.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, hopefully the doctors can provide him some comfort.

And you're right about weave, I have tried to avoid that thread so it wasn't on my radar.

My complaint: broken sarcasm meters. :)

http://youtu.be/LQXaQyORLeM

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, hopefully the doctors can provide him some comfort.

And you're right about weave, I have tried to avoid that thread so it wasn't on my radar.

Thanks, CV (and aha -- my meter isn't completely broken!).

My complaint is school getting canceled for 2 inches of snow. And the high will be in the upper 40's. Give me a break.

They are already canceling and delaying school here in Raleigh based on the possibility that we MIGHT get 2-3 inches of snow overnight. And good luck finding and milk, bread or eggs in the grocery stores. Insanity.

Why can't either the Sabres or Bills suck on that year when their is an absolute stud franchise player available! And I mean really suck! Look at Pittsburgh, they win the darn draft lottery the year Crosby is available and draft second when there's two stud players! The Colts have Manning injuried for one year and they hit the lottery, end up picking their replacement franchise QB right away!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ok, I feel better

They are already canceling and delaying school here in Raleigh based on the possibility that we MIGHT get 2-3 inches of snow overnight. And good luck finding and milk, bread or eggs in the grocery stores. Insanity.

snow in the south is funny. I lived in Lumberton, very southern NC and we got 5 inches of snow on a Tuesday morning. We were out of school ALL WEEK. Since they can't plow the snow, it turned to slush on Tuesday and froze into ice chunks Wednesday and stayed cold until Saturday. The side roads were like drive with large frozen rocks all over the place. It was impossible to get around on any side road!

Just went home for xmas in WNY, and my inlaws got 18 inches of snow on the 27th and once we sholved the driveway, we went to winner that night without a problem. It's just a whole different world!

Even here in Philly/Delaware it's a big event when it snows. 1-2 inches is considered a storm. I'm convinced that some could not survive one winter back home.

As for the flu shot ... never got it and never will. For a number of reasons. My wife and I had it (real flu) about 10 years ago. It is nasty and most people who say *I had the flu* really didn't. Basic hand washing would work wonders to help curb all these things.

Anyway ...

2 complaints today.

1 ... Had a second meeting with that prospective client almost two weeks ago. It went really well. They said they wanted to move relatively quickly, but needed to take some time. It will be two weeks this Monday and nothing, zero, nada. Anyway, hoping for the best, but aniticipate the *Dear candidate, F-off and die* cowardly letter to arrive in the mail any day. Hope I'm wrong.

2 ... We love Halifax. It's a great place to live (hi shrader ... :flirt: ). Yesterday we had our first significant snow of this winter. Snow started around 1:00 PM. By afternoon rush hour a fair amount had fallen, but nothing crazy. This year the wankers at the city started a policy not to send out plows and salt trucks out until the snow stops. So, rush hour turned into chaos and there was no need of it. Just plain nuts!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

My complaint today. I hate when you have co workers than are on the same playing field, same level as you but seem to wanta act like a boss and talk louder when other people are around. These are the same people that always have relationship problems, and talk as if everyone is being disrespectful. Dont let miserable people that have problems at home bring you down at work. Stupid people really suck!

Edited by neverenough

That said, I wouldn't count on Fios. It's been awhile so maybe something has changed, but I read early last year that Verizon had ceased expansion of the service.

Well, the other end of my neighborhood just got it a couple of months ago, and my neighborhood is densely populated with yuppies who will shell out for it, so I am semi-optimistic that it will get to my block eventually.

Edit: nfreeman, can you get CLEAR in your area? I know it's not everywhere, but so far I've been pretty happy with them since switching this past August.

Thanks bio. I think I can get it, but my understanding is that it's not as fast as a (properly functioning) cable modem, let alone Fios. Is that incorrect?

Well, the other end of my neighborhood just got it a couple of months ago, and my neighborhood is densely populated with yuppies who will shell out for it, so I am semi-optimistic that it will get to my block eventually.

Thanks bio. I think I can get it, but my understanding is that it's not as fast as a (properly functioning) cable modem, let alone Fios. Is that incorrect?

I'm not completely sure, but you might be right about a wired modem vs. wireless internet. (I'm sure it's slower than FiOS, but not sure about cable.) CLEAR has two plans in my area for home internet:

1) up to 1.5 MBPS for $34.99/mo

2) up to 3-6 MBPS for $49.99/mo

The former is slow by many of your standards, but for general web browsing, email, etc, it's more than sufficient. (I should add that I "upgraded" from a 768 KBPS DSL plan that Verizon was offering, so this is already 2x faster for me.) I've also been pleasantly surprised that I can stream plenty of tv shows, news programs, etc at this speed without any delay or buffering. For sports, however, I suspect the faster plan will be required to avoid hiccups.

Edited by biodork

You have rekindled hope that I will one day be able to get Fios (of course I'll probably have moved by then, but whatever). Hope you end up getting it!