Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

my cheap ass french boss who doesn't pay me enough so i can't afford to play hockey anymore. all my gear has been in storage for exactly 1 year now. cheap bastard gives out bonuses like hand jobs at a sorority date party to everyone else in the damn company, but his sales manager? not happening. i only want enough coin to get in the local league, but it isn't happening anytime soon, so i guess i'll just have to sit in my office and imagine umburgering him when he's walking through the hall with his head down sipping his coffee.

my cheap ass french boss who doesn't pay me enough so i can't afford to play hockey anymore. all my gear has been in storage for exactly 1 year now. cheap bastard gives out bonuses like hand jobs at a sorority date party to everyone else in the damn company, but his sales manager? not happening. i only want enough coin to get in the local league, but it isn't happening anytime soon, so i guess i'll just have to sit in my office and imagine umburgering him when he's walking through the hall with his head down sipping his coffee.

Need to find a side job, you can't give up hockey... Where are you located? If near NYC, let me know. I can pay a commission % for photography gigs.

I guess my complaint is cell phone complainers (complaintants?). How is it different than the guy having a conversation with someone sitting next to him? I've heard how rude it is to make a cell phone call in a restaurant. How is it rude to talk in public? I don't get it.

i have posited this question in many cocktail party/bar night settings, but have never heard a good answer.

from my perspective, though, i pose the question from the angle of "it absolutely makes me insane when someone is imposing their side of a cell phone conversation on the people around them in a public place ... but why is it that that behavior drives me nuts?"

the fact that a large majority of the population finds the behavior rude means that the reaction is rooted in something legitimate in our grey matter. i just can't figure out what that is or might be.

Not a big fan of continuous complaint threads. It's kind of like reusing toilet paper.
What he said.
Yeah, let's not do this.

i hadn't realized it was a recycled thread, until i tried to respond to PA's post above. while i think a mega-thread could be unwieldy, the utility i stumbled across must mean that i am on the fence.

The complaints are timeless. Each is as important as the next (except old man PAs complaints). I kind of like the idea of eventually seeing a complaint thread with 100+ posts in it. It makes us look like a group of incredibly miserable people. It strengthens the idea of complaint thursday.

The complaints are timeless. Each is as important as the next (except old man PAs complaints). I kind of like the idea of eventually seeing a complaint thread with 100+ posts in it. It makes us look like a group of incredibly miserable people. It strengthens the idea of complaint thursday.

That is essentially my position... It turns an ordinary thread into a feature. A community defining staple. A thread that has 5,000 posts in it and 50k views. An epicenter of rage and discontent...

Need to find a side job, you can't give up hockey... Where are you located? If near NYC, let me know. I can pay a commission % for photography gigs.

wish i had time for a side job, but i travel a lot. i'm down in charlotte, nc.

things will be easier when the wife can work, but for now she can't due to some health problems left over from her pregnancy (baby was born last november). boss is still a dick though. and a frenchman.

i have posited this question in many cocktail party/bar night settings, but have never heard a good answer.

from my perspective, though, i pose the question from the angle of "it absolutely makes me insane when someone is imposing their side of a cell phone conversation on the people around them in a public place ... but why is it that that behavior drives me nuts?"

the fact that a large majority of the population finds the behavior rude means that the reaction is rooted in something legitimate in our grey matter. i just can't figure out what that is or might be.

I don't think it's all that complicated. Everyone likes to eavesdrop. When two people are yammering away on the subway or in a restaurant, we love it, as banal as it might be. When we hear only one side, it frustrates us... hence the rage and discontent.

That is essentially my position... It turns an ordinary thread into a feature. A community defining staple. A thread that has 5,000 posts in it and 50k views. An epicenter of rage and discontent...

And eventually Lord Vigo takes over the board. It's win/win.

I work for a large medical technology company. This woman was interviewing for a research position so there was no way the bluetooth device was in any way appropriate. I really couldn't believe it.

I appreciate technology as much as the next guy but in my opinion for some people its gotten way out of control with the ipods, blackberrys and laptops. People need to find a way to sit quietly with just their thoughts every now and then.

Agreed and while we're on the technology discussion, why do parents feel the need to have their kids continually engaged with technology. Ipods, first graders with cell phones, video games, dvds in the car, and unlimited computer time. I hate the fact that parents feel like they have to continually "entertain" their children with some device. You're bored? Go outside and play! It's raining? Read a book, build a fort, use your imagination!

Agreed and while we're on the technology discussion, why do parents feel the need to have their kids continually engaged with technology. Ipods, first graders with cell phones, video games, dvds in the car, and unlimited computer time. I hate the fact that parents feel like they have to continually "entertain" their children with some device. You're bored? Go outside and play! It's raining? Read a book, build a fort, use your imagination!

One of the smaller joys of my upcoming fatherhood is the prospects of setting parental rights on the computer and time limits on the router for specific devices. Life is going to be grand!

wish i had time for a side job, but i travel a lot. i'm down in charlotte, nc.

things will be easier when the wife can work, but for now she can't due to some health problems left over from her pregnancy (baby was born last november). boss is still a dick though. and a frenchman.

Fuuck France

I don't think it's all that complicated.

I do.

When two people are yammering away on the subway or in a restaurant, we love it, as banal as it might be. When we hear only one side, it frustrates us... hence the rage and discontent.

Interesting theory.

One of the smaller joys of my upcoming fatherhood is the prospects of setting parental rights on the computer and time limits on the router for specific devices. Life is going to be grand!

Just think of where technology might be when your kid is old enough to be using that stuff.

Different generation. My parents were the ones who told us to go outside. Usually we wanted to go out anyways.

I don't think it's all that complicated. Everyone likes to eavesdrop. When two people are yammering away on the subway or in a restaurant, we love it, as banal as it might be. When we hear only one side, it frustrates us... hence the rage and discontent.
I do. Interesting theory.

is it possibly tied to the volume that someone on a phone generally uses? i think so.

i also think that there is some that is just jarring and unsettling to my ear in having a unilateral conversation like that going on nearby -- if the person on the other end of the line were actually there, i think my senses would be better trained/suited to tune out the conversation. maybe this will become less and less of an issue as young people become accustomed to having these conversations going on near them.

To all potential vendors out there...stop cold calling me and then get all pissy when I tell you that I have no interest in the crap you are trying to sell to me/my place of business. It sucks being in sales. If you don't like rejection, go flip hamburgers for a living or go back to college.

is it possibly tied to the volume that someone on a phone generally uses? i think so.

Yes. I couldn't care less about eavesdropping on the conversations of strangers. I don't care if you are talking on your cell phone, to someone sitting right next to you or to the wall, if you are talking louder than conditions dictate then you will annoy others. For some reason though most people find it necessary to yell into their cell phones.