The Official "Should the Sabres Pay Ryan Miller" Thread

inkman

Listening to WGR this morning, after Sully and Jeremy White (?) finished their 20 minute discussion about tennis/untimate fighting, were talking about Ryan Miller's contract negotiations. Sully thinks Ryan will shoot for the moon and demand to be the highest paid player on the team, something to the tune of 7 years, $51 million.

If that is the case I say trade his ass outta here because he sure as hell isn't a $7+ million dollar a year goalie. Let the Jonas Enroth era begin.

while it seems somewhat silly to engage in a hockey debate that is precipitated by the ratings-driven musings of jerry sullivan, i will say this: if miller were to shoot for that moon, i'd give him the finger and tell him to swivel on it.

but i don't think he'll be demanding vanek money based on some hard-headed insistence on being the team's highest paid player -- that'd likely make him the top-paid goalie in the league, let alone the highest paid player on the team, and the numbers just aren't there.

i'm thinking he will re-sign for ~5/30 (or maybe 4/25 or 6/35).

EDIT: a call out to spendin' cheese: where'd you get that data screenshot that sorted the top-paid goalies by contract #'s over the next several years?

Listening to WGR this morning, after Sully and Jeremy White (?) finished their 20 minute discussion about tennis/untimate fighting, were talking about Ryan Miller's contract negotiations. Sully thinks Ryan will shoot for the moon and demand to be the highest paid player on the team, something to the tune of 7 years, $51 million.

If that is the case I say trade his ass outta here because he sure as hell isn't a $7+ million dollar a year goalie. Let the Jonas Enroth era begin.

I would trade him as well if he demands that much.

However, more then anything, Ryan wants to win. He will not demand a contract that would inhibit the team from signing other players. I think it is more likely that he wants assurances that the team will compete by being above the median with regards to the cap.

The thing that concerns me is that that may not even be top tier money for a goalie.

Lundqvist is the guy most commonly compared to Miller and his cap hit is $6.875M. While I don't think Miller is quite as good, the rise in the cap is probably more important than the talent difference, to get the cap numbber into the 7M range.

Assuming we can get there, come playoff time, Miller usually has another gear, too.

With that said, if he isn't signed by September, I'm all for a trade.

Goalie Salaries

That Dipietro deal looks absolutely freakin genious at this point. He'll be making half market value within a couple of years.

Maybe the Sabres should sign Miller to a 10 year 75 million dollar deal, but 2012 he'll be making half of what the top goalie salaries are. :lol:

Don't worry about how much Miller is going to get. Quinny is still reeling from the Briere/Drury debacle and will basically give Miller whatever he wants just like they panicked on the Vanek offer sheet and didn't even think for a minute what 4 Edmonton 1st round picks could do for the franchise.

PS The Sabres are crazy if they give Miller a long term deal(5+ years) for 7+ mil a year.

The thing that concerns me is that that may not even be top tier money for a goalie.

Lundqvist is the guy most commonly compared to Miller and his cap hit is $6.875M. While I don't think Miller is quite as good, the rise in the cap is probably more important than the talent difference, to get the cap numbber into the 7M range.

Assuming we can get there, come playoff time, Miller usually has another gear, too.

With that said, if he isn't signed by September, I'm all for a trade.

Goalie Salaries

Do you have any idea how bad things would get if it came down to that point. It will give more ammo to the "Sabres refuse to pay there stars" faction of Sabres fans and media. Miller would be dumped in with the Captains and Campbell. Despite each situation being completely different the irrational nature of fans would take over.

That Dipietro deal looks absolutely freakin genious at this point. He'll be making half market value within a couple of years.

Maybe the Sabres should sign Miller to a 10 year 75 million dollar deal, but 2012 he'll be making half of what the top goalie salaries are. :lol:

If he wasn't so fragile, it probably would have been a great deal.

Do you have any idea how bad things would get if it came down to that point. It will give more ammo to the "Sabres refuse to pay there stars" faction of Sabres fans and media. Miller would be dumped in with the Captains and Campbell. Despite each situation being completely different the irrational nature of fans would take over.

They'd have to get a all-star type player in return, or there'd be rioting in the streets...

Bye Bye Ryan, don't let the door hit you and your SGAA (Soft Goals Against Average) on the way out.

Might as well go into full fledged rebuild mode now and dump Vanek, Roy and Pommer for picks as well, I guess.

No need keeping those guys around, when we'll have to wait at least 4-5 years for another goalie to develop, and seeing as this is Buffalo, there's no way we'll ever trade for another starter.

Lundqvist is the guy most commonly compared to Miller and his cap hit is $6.875M...

Lundqvist isn't even worth Lundqvist money. Especially if the NHL rules reduce the pads.

Agreed. Let him go. Miller is a slightly above average starting goalie.

YES. PAY HIM NOW.

Seriously, I think the front office needs to lock him up, regardless of the money involved. I honestly don't think Ryan is the type of guy to demand the outrageous salary and as tom_webster said, he'll take a deal that allows the team to get the right pieces in place to win.

YES. PAY HIM NOW.

Seriously, I think the front office needs to lock him up, regardless of the money involved. I honestly don't think Ryan is the type of guy to demand the outrageous salary and as tom_webster said, he'll take a deal that allows the team to get the right pieces in place to win.

I think Miller wants to be the next Marty Brodeur. <_<

Don't worry about how much Miller is going to get. Quinny is still reeling from the Briere/Drury debacle and will basically give Miller whatever he wants just like they panicked on the Vanek offer sheet and didn't even think for a minute what 4 Edmonton 1st round picks could do for the franchise.

PS The Sabres are crazy if they give Miller a long term deal(5+ years) for 7+ mil a year.

What could four picks do for the franchise? And when?

I think they need to pay him. What are the alternatives? Treading water at least by keeping him or aiming for 1st overall in the draft. IMO, he'll probably end up at the upper end of the market value. But, if they decide they don't want to pay him, other teams will find out. Then what are they going to get in trade? Another Rivet? Although a solid addition, not a core foundation player at this point. We'll more than likely get draft picks and an old pony or some kid with "potential". But, in the end, we'll just have more holes than before. Unless, he's asking for completely unreasonable to the point at which he is practically demanding to leave at all costs, then I think they need to sign him.

What could four picks do for the franchise? And when?

I'm not saying they should have taken the picks and run, but they didn't even consider it. Within an hour of Vanek signing the offer sheet, there was Quinny declaring that they will match it.

PS You missed the playoffs with Vanek, you could have missed them without him. Considering the state of the Edmonton franchise, those 4 first round picks could go a long way towards getting a franchise on the right track that is too cheap to gou out and sign any free agents.

They have to sign Miller and they will do so. I'd expect a contract in the 6 years, $38 million range.

And to respond to PAFan's point, making him play for his contract is not an option. The issue would be hanging over the team all season.

Frankly, not signing him isn't an option either. There won't be rioting in the street, but just the opposite -- fan disgust and then apathy -- which would be much worse.

For all of you saying, "He sucks" or "He's an average goalie", you need to remember that the guy is still pretty young. Two years ago, some of us were hoping keeping Marty Biron over him. He was a key part of our playoff run in 06-07...how many goalies could put up those numbers in a run-and-gun/offense-first system? And he will only get better. He doesn't exactly have those jaw-dropping stats that will make him the big bucks, but he makes the big save when we need it. And he wins in the playoffs. We'll actually have some kind of a defense this year, and we won't have a sorry @$$ excuse for a backup goalie. The FO would be making a huge mistake if October comes around and he's unsigned. I say he'll get 6 years for 6.75 million, and that will end up being a steal.

For all of you saying, "He sucks" or "He's an average goalie", you need to remember that the guy is still pretty young. Two years ago, some of us were hoping keeping Marty Biron over him. He was a key part of our playoff run in 06-07...how many goalies could put up those numbers in a run-and-gun/offense-first system? And he will only get better. He doesn't exactly have those jaw-dropping stats that will make him the big bucks, but he makes the big save when we need it. And he wins in the playoffs. We'll actually have some kind of a defense this year, and we won't have a sorry @$$ excuse for a backup goalie. The FO would be making a huge mistake if October comes around and he's unsigned. I say he'll get 6 years for 6.75 million, and that will end up being a steal.

I'll jump in before PA bombs you...Ryan is not young chronologically speaking, but rather in terms of NHL experience. He is about to turn 28, but has just 205 games of regular-season experience.

I'll jump in before PA bombs you...Ryan is not young chronologically speaking, but rather in terms of NHL experience. He is about to turn 28, but has just 205 games of regular-season experience.

Am I now second man in?

I've heard this justification. The obvious followup is: what is taking Miller so long to get established? Dude's pushing 30, and we're still waiting on him.

Archived