The Official "Should the Sabres Pay Ryan Miller" Thread

inkman

Listen, there are lots of average to above average goalies in their late 20s. Just how many do you expect to win the Cup?

Interesting that you poo-poo the idea of a goalie carrying a team to a Cup, then you use a phrase like, "goalies who have won the Cup."

Aha! I am having such a good day. Getting back on Diet Coke has done wonders for the old Coconut. Maybe I'll put some Lalime in my Coconut. OK, that just sounds wrong.

I see you've moved on from "dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge" to "spin, twist and distort." Good work, Senator. Where's that shaking-head smiley when you need it?

Show me where I poo-poo'ed the idea of a goalie carrying a team to a Cup. There are a bunch of Conn Smythe winners between the pipes that prove a goalie can be the most important part of a Stanley Cup run. That being said, a goalie can "win" a Cup without "carrying" his team to a Cup. I sure as heck don't think Osgood carried the Red Wings, I don't think Cam Ward carried the Canes, and I don't think Patrick Roy carried the Avs.

I know you have to make up for lost time, but these flame attempts are bad, even for you.

he didn't poo-poo the idea of a goalie carrying a team to a Cup, just the idea that one HAS to before you will pay him.

And the Lalime in your Coconut made me laugh ... even if I have no idea how you can drink that Liquid Ass known as Diet Coke.

Liquid Ass. :thumbsup:

I'm just throwing out crap today and seeing what sticks. You gentleman are fine debaters. But I'm pitching softballs.

Here's another good one: Why should Ryan and his agent have any interest in signing a contract now?

I'm just throwing out crap today and seeing what sticks. You gentleman are fine debaters. But I'm pitching softballs.

Here's another good one: Why should Ryan and his agent have any interest in signing a contract now?

Right now they have all the leverage. All Ryan has to do is make it through next season unhurt and have an average year and he'll get paid, if not for recent performance then for his resume. He knows the Sabres don't want to get to next FA with the potential of losing yet another core player and fan favorite, so he can probably get them to overpay now without needing to have a huge "contract year."

Well since that was MY refrain duiring the whole Campbell thing ... I'll spit back what everyone told me ... that's not a valid argument because guys are signing all over the league in the last year of their contract, so it MUST be EASY to get it done, the players want to sign. (please just ignore the fact that literally hundreds of guys become UFAs every year ... it's just the SABRES who can't get a deal done.)

In case he gets hurt, you mean? Isn't that weighed against a much bigger payday next summer?

Insurance against injuries, or poor play.

Or that revenues may shrink.

A good deal from his perspective would be taking slightly less guaranteed money than what he would get on the

open market a year from now provided he has a good season.

Insurance against injuries, or poor play.

Or that revenues may shrink.

A good deal from his perspective would be taking slightly less guaranteed money than what he would get on the

open market a year from now provided he has a good season.

That doesn't add up to making a deal with the Sabres now, does it?

Listening to WGR this morning, after Sully and Jeremy White (?) finished their 20 minute discussion about tennis/untimate fighting, were talking about Ryan Miller's contract negotiations. Sully thinks Ryan will shoot for the moon and demand to be the highest paid player on the team, something to the tune of 7 years, $51 million.

If that is the case I say trade his ass outta here because he sure as hell isn't a $7+ million dollar a year goalie. Let the Jonas Enroth era begin.

Yes, you are right. Get him out of here. I dont want any chance to build for a Championship. God save Tommy G's wallet. Us fans, who all get a cut from the ticket sales, will suffer...

In the last three seasons playoffs, here are Miller's and Lunqvist's stats:

Miller: 20 Wins, 14 Losses, 2.39 GAA, .915 SV%, 29.7 Shots per game

Lunqvist: 11 Wins 12 Losses, 2.57 GAA, .907 SV%, 28.6 shots per game

My guess is 6 years, $41.5M (6.92M cap hit) would get him signed this summer... If you take Lundy's 6 year, 41.25M (from nhlnumbers), add the additional 13% cap increase after spreading it out evenly among 22 players, you get to 6 years/41.5M.

Good post. Thanks for digging up the playoff stats. That is what it all comes down to. Regarding the money, I'm confident that he would sign for $41.5 million, but not that confident that the Sabres will go that high (maybe yes, maybe no). That's why I'm hoping that he'll take $38 million -- somehow I think they would go that high.

Why do you believe that it's "taking him so long to get established?" The ECF appearances, the 20-14 playoff record - none of that is established?

His career path is what it is. He came out of college as a 5th-round pick and went to the AHL in 02-03, and got himself stuck in the three-headed monster goalie logjam (Ryan, Marty, Mika) and was blocked by Marty and Mika in 03-04. 04-05 was the lockout, and he claimed the starter's position in 05-06 (at age 25.) He backstopped the team to consecutive ECF appearances the next two years until the entire team fell apart in 07-08.

Dude's about to turn 28. Not "pushing 30" at least not in my book.

For the last time - there aren't many people that are pointing to last season as being indicative of his capabilities. Yes, he had a down year. Pretty much the whole team did.

Why is it a giant leap to think the defense won't be better? We're swapping a turnover machine (Kalinin) for a steady physical defenseman. Same goes for the backup. If Lalime can start more than 7 games - 7 - he'll be light years ahead of what T-bo gave us this year. More rest = a better starter.

Another good one. Game, set and match. (and the subsequent 20 posts in this argument were all downhill after this). PAFan -- better hit the weight room.

I'll accept your thinking on the backup goalie. But defensively, it's still a very soft, somewhat injury-prone group, and there isn't much depth if two starters go out long-term.

If we sign Teppo, that gives us a very solid (and improved) top 6 of

Spacek-Rivet

Lydman-Tallinder

Sekera-Teppo

with Paetsch and Weber as the next 2. I'm happy with that top 8, including the 2 depth players.

Guaranteed money.

XB is right on. If the Sabres can ascend the dizzying $40 million height, that's a very difficult pile of money to walk away from -- even though Hossa just did it to sign you-know-where.

Who here would love to see salaries shrink next year. It would have teams like the Rags and the Wings back pedaling hard. Players would then be hesitant to "hold out" for bigger money.

I wouldn't, i'd like to see the Cap go up about $2-3 million and then stay in place for about 2-3 years and re-evaluate it then. Going up $6 million is a joke. Deals, who seemed like a joke (Dipietro) look genius now. If Buffalo knew the cap would be at $56 million in this year, there is NO WAY we wouldn't have re-signed both Briere and Drury at their asking price at the time. Back then, it seemed like we were paying at a max, but now, $5 mil for Briere and $4.5 for Drury would be a massive bargain.

Several teams do ruin it quite a bit for the league, but it's mostly the league ruining it for the small markets. Although, IMO Anahiem, Vancouver and Edmonton are my main suspects. Philly is up there too.

Archived