Monday signings and transactions

darksabre

Starting off early today with Tampa signing Gary Roberts.

8:03AM - Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward Gary Roberts to a one-year contract.

I'm not sure what TB sees in a 42 year old Roberts. He has nothing left in the tank. Didn't he get benched for a few of the SC final games and was pissed? If so, he is in denial and so is TB.

I'm not sure what TB sees in a 42 year old Roberts. He has nothing left in the tank. Didn't he get benched for a few of the SC final games and was pissed? If so, he is in denial and so is TB.

I think he has SOMETHING left in the tank. How much that is would be anybody's guess. I think this deal, as with most, all depends on money. The rumormed amount was $2mil. If they signed him for that much, they're insane--especially when they are running out of cap room very quickly and still want to sign Rolston and Prospal.

I think he has SOMETHING left in the tank. How much that is would be anybody's guess. I think this deal, as with most, all depends on money. The rumormed amount was $2mil. If they signed him for that much, they're insane--especially when they are running out of cap room very quickly and still want to sign Rolston and Prospal.

from what I heard, Roberts is getting something like $1.15-1.25 mil as a base, and then $10,000 for every game he plays in for them

I just read that TSN is reporting that Ryan Malone is going to get 7 years at 31.5 million? Wow. Seems like a pretty big contract for him. I haven't seen him play that much but is he worth that much for that long? I think the water level might be rising for our team if this is any indication.

I just read that TSN is reporting that Ryan Malone is going to get 7 years at 31.5 million? Wow. Seems like a pretty big contract for him. I haven't seen him play that much but is he worth that much for that long? I think the water level might be rising for our team if this is any indication.

That's $4.5 for year, which is not top tier pay these days.

However, one of the articles I read said that contract will be front-weighted like Briere's was, so he will be making $6-7 million over the next few years and then it will drop off from there.

That's $4.5 for year, which is not top tier pay these days.

However, one of the articles I read said that contract will be front-weighted like Briere's was, so he will be making $6-7 million over the next few years and then it will drop off from there.

This is where the smaller markets are at a disadvantage ... it's no big deal for some teams to buy out the last 3 years for 2/3 of $9 million or whatever, but that $6 million in real cash is a lot for the Sabres ... they can't afford to be horribly wrong on a signing. Not that I think Malone is going to bomb horribly, just sayin' ...

This is where the smaller markets are at a disadvantage ... it's no big deal for some teams to buy out the last 3 years for 2/3 of $9 million or whatever, but that $6 million in real cash is a lot for the Sabres ... they can't afford to be horribly wrong on a signing. Not that I think Malone is going to bomb horribly, just sayin' ...

Exactly. When the Leafs were buying out so many contract this year, many people couldn't believe they would sacrifice all that money. But for them it's really not a big deal. Can you imagine if the Sabres had to buy out 2-3 players this year? You'd see the Saberks (or maybe Sabrates?) taking the ice in 08-09 since half our team would be minor leaguers. It's amazing to me how so many "professionals" could manage to screw up yet another collective bargaining agreement which we all know will soon lead to yet another lockout. Perfect example of how poor leadership runs any organization or business into the ground. Bettman and the Board of Governors should already be ashamed.

Exactly. When the Leafs were buying out so many contract this year, many people couldn't believe they would sacrifice all that money. But for them it's really not a big deal. Can you imagine if the Sabres had to buy out 2-3 players this year? You'd see the Saberks (or maybe Sabrates?) taking the ice in 08-09 since half our team would be minor leaguers. It's amazing to me how so many "professionals" could manage to screw up yet another collective bargaining agreement which we all know will soon lead to yet another lockout. Perfect example of how poor leadership runs any organization or business into the ground. Bettman and the Board of Governors should already be ashamed.

I think they got the CBA right for the vast majority of things, but the issues that need to be fixed are the HUGE issues...

I love arbitration. I love Free Agency. Restricted FA with Compensation.

All that makes the offseason worth sticking around for.

But the way the Salary Cap is done, The way players cap amount hits against the salary cap. That needs to be fixed.

What's to stop a team like The Rangers giving someone 15 mil up front on a 20 year deal thats front loaded and ends up costing a hit of .5 MM a season?

I think the ruels are it can only go down by 1/2 a year. So it'd be.

15 7.5 3.75 1.85 1.85 1.85 1.85 1.85 1.85 etc... for 17 seasons. That's a cap hit of 2.8 MM EVERY YEAR, even the 15 MM years. For an old guy who only has 3 years left. This is a deal. It doesn't hurt the team, they'll just retire at the end of it.

The players are making a ton of money. The league is making a ton of money. The only people upset with some of the things going on are the fans. They're the last people that would be taken into account when planning a work stoppage. Why exactly will there be another lockout?

What's to stop a team like The Rangers giving someone 15 mil up front on a 20 year deal thats front loaded and ends up costing a hit of .5 MM a season?

I think the ruels are it can only go down by 1/2 a year. So it'd be.

15 7.5 3.75 1.85 1.85 1.85 1.85 1.85 1.85 etc... for 17 seasons. That's a cap hit of 2.8 MM EVERY YEAR, even the 15 MM years. For an old guy who only has 3 years left. This is a deal. It doesn't hurt the team, they'll just retire at the end of it.

There is a loophole there, but I don't think it is that drastic ... someone quoted the actual rule a few weeks back ... I can't find it at the moment, but it's not quite that easy ... but you are right, there is a loophole there .

The players are making a ton of money. The league is making a ton of money. The only people upset with some of the things going on are the fans. They're the last people that would be taken into account when planning a work stoppage. Why exactly will there be another lockout?

Look at Darcy and Larry's recent comments regarding the cap and player contracts. They're not happy with the direction it's going. And you have to get the feeling that the "small market" owners feel the same way, and will continue to feel the heat as the cap rises and teams continue with buyouts as we were discussing earlier. So it's not just the fans. And the more that cap goes up, the more complaining you're going to hear from owners that aren't at the same spending level as Toronto, New York, Detroit, etc. Combine that with the other problems as mentioned in previous posts--that's why there will be another lockout. Why was there one to begin with just a few years ago? I'm sure many of the same reasons will come back.

Look at Darcy and Larry's recent comments regarding the cap and player contracts. They're not happy with the direction it's going. And you have to get the feeling that the "small market" owners feel the same way, and will continue to feel the heat as the cap rises and teams continue with buyouts as we were discussing earlier. So it's not just the fans. And the more that cap goes up, the more complaining you're going to hear from owners that aren't at the same spending level as Toronto, New York, Detroit, etc. Combine that with the other problems as mentioned in previous posts--that's why there will be another lockout. Why was there one to begin with just a few years ago? I'm sure many of the same reasons will come back.

given how this cba has played out -- with the large market teams able to inflate the cap through the aggregate effect of their own finances -- i get to feeling that another lockout won't resolve the problems that persist as amongst the owners.

The core ideas of the CBA are in place though. The cap, the players getting a certain percentage of revenue, etc... That was what the lockout was needed to establish. What we're talking about now are much smaller changes in the grand scheme. They'll have to be chipped away over time, but it shouldn't require another stoppage. I'd think both sides realize how harmful that would be, considering the fact that the changes they would want now aren't all that major.

Zhitniks numbers look terrible on wiki until you account for the fact that he played for 3 different teams in 06-07. He still managed 38 points, which is about what he had when he played for us back in the day. 07-08 for him was terrible though, but then again, he was playing for Atlanta...

Archived