Monday signings and transactions

darksabre

Zhitniks numbers look terrible on wiki until you account for the fact that he played for 3 different teams in 06-07. He still managed 38 points, which is about what he had when he played for us back in the day. 07-08 for him was terrible though, but then again, he was playing for Atlanta...

I don't know, it's hard to pin a 3-5-8, -8 in a 65-game season on playing for Atlanta...

I just read that TSN is reporting that Ryan Malone is going to get 7 years at 31.5 million? Wow. Seems like a pretty big contract for him. I haven't seen him play that much but is he worth that much for that long? I think the water level might be rising for our team if this is any indication.

Imagine if Ales Kotalik got paid that..... YIKES. We'd all flip out.

Tampa is dumb.

Imagine if Ales Kotalik got paid that..... YIKES. We'd all flip out.

Tampa is dumb.

The big splash theory. Gotta have a bunch of big names so people in Florida will actually go to a game. Now, whether they win a few more is the real stinker...

The big splash theory. Gotta have a bunch of big names so people in Florida will actually go to a game. Now, whether they win a few more is the real stinker...

It really makes me wonder how they are acquiring all of these players rights. I don't know why but I think some teams are getting rights to use as bargaining chips for other players. Since most teams know what other teams need, they claim them and then try to trade them to someone else thats hurting for that player and pays a heavy price for it. Just a thought.

The Tampa market is no different than most hockey markets - there are very few hockey markets where people will still show up even if you put a crap product on the ice. Tampa hasn't had a problem with attendance since 01-02, when they were coming off a string of one playoff berth over the previous ten years. Even this year they averaged 18,692/game.

The Panthers, on the other hand...

The Tampa market is no different than most hockey markets - there are very few hockey markets where people will still show up even if you put a crap product on the ice. Tampa hasn't had a problem with attendance since 01-02, when they were coming off a string of one playoff berth over the previous ten years. Even this year they averaged 18,692/game.

Its funny how Sabres fans wll be the first to run around talking about how they should be taking over the crown of Hockey town frm Detroit because they sold out a couple years season tickets and packed the outside of the arena to watch some playoff games, when it took those playoff games to get people interested in them again and selling out the arena again

Its funny how Sabres fans wll be the first to run around talking about how they should be taking over the crown of Hockey town frm Detroit because they sold out a couple years season tickets and packed the outside of the arena to watch some playoff games, when it took those playoff games to get people interested in them again and selling out the arena again

We've talked about this before, but the 30-second version is Buffalo fans had every right to be pissed and stay away, given how the Rigases f'ed over this franchise, fanbase and city by running popular players out of town, failing to "give Lindy the tools to finish the job" and nearly costing the area the entire franchise through their shady accounting and financial decisions.

Its funny how Sabres fans wll be the first to run around talking about how they should be taking over the crown of Hockey town from Detroit because they sold out a couple years season tickets and packed the outside of the arena to watch some playoff games, when it took those playoff games to get people interested in them again and selling out the arena again

That's a little (although not totally) unfair. People didn't come when there was a question whether or not the team was going to fold/move.

I do remember in '93 (The Comeback) that the Bills had trouble selling out, though.

That's a little (although not totally) unfair. People didn't come when there was a question whether or not the team was going to fold/move.

I do remember in '93 (The Comeback) that the Bills had trouble selling out, though.

Isn't that when the fans should be filling the arena to prove that they should stay?

They also had trouble the year after the lockout too

I just find it funny how Sabres fans will look down upon teams that are not selling out when they have in the past, stayed away until the team starts winning again. Do you think there will still be as big of a waiting list this year for season tickets and that they will sell off every game like they did coming off of 2 straight ECF's?

Is this Tampa Bay fans or the opposition teams that have retiree's going to see their old team. I'd like those numbers. Yeah, yeah, who cares as long as the seats are full, but still, come-on.

Isn't that when the fans should be filling the arena to prove that they should stay?

I just find it funny how Sabres fans will look down upon teams that are not selling out when they have in the past, stayed away until the team starts winning again. Do you think there will still be as big of a waiting list this year for season tickets and that they will sell off every game like they did coming off of 2 straight ECF's?

I sure hope not, I actually want to get tickets to a game this season!

Look at Darcy and Larry's recent comments regarding the cap and player contracts. They're not happy with the direction it's going. And you have to get the feeling that the "small market" owners feel the same way, and will continue to feel the heat as the cap rises and teams continue with buyouts as we were discussing earlier. So it's not just the fans. And the more that cap goes up, the more complaining you're going to hear from owners that aren't at the same spending level as Toronto, New York, Detroit, etc. Combine that with the other problems as mentioned in previous posts--that's why there will be another lockout. Why was there one to begin with just a few years ago? I'm sure many of the same reasons will come back.

The difference now is that more then half the league is loving life right now. You are already hearing whispers of the owners mocking the Sabres for purposely keeping revenues low. There will be no lock out. There has been like six buy outs and an equal number of teams complaining.

Is this Tampa Bay fans or the opposition teams that have retiree's going to see their old team. I'd like those numbers. Yeah, yeah, who cares as long as the seats are full, but still, come-on.

Right, like all those hardcore rabid fans and retirees who grew up watching the Lightning's division rivals in Carolina, Atlanta and Miami.

There aren't a lot of other teams that come out in droves like Sabres' fans have the last couple years. And we're not talking a similar situation as the baseball Rays, who before this season only seemed to fill up the stadium when the Yanks or Red Sox came to town.

The last few years the Lightning are averaging:

2007-08 - 18,692

2006-07 - 19,876

2005-06 - 20,509

2003-04 - 17,820

The fact is this is a team who won a Cup just five years ago and has been building a decent fanbase, especially for a Sunbelt team. You don't average 18,000+ and play to 90% plus just based on opposition's retirees.

If you would have made the argument about Miami (which probably has a similar retiree population in the surrounding community) I would have agreed with you, since despite their average attendance of about 15,500 there are regularly games with just 9-10,000 in attendance.

18 k plus fans..... fans are fans regardless of who they are pulling for. Sure you'd want them to be a vast majority of home town fans but they are putting them in the seats.

Ek Rumor that just needs to be laughed at:

Sundin to go on July 1 (e5)

Ummmmmmm.... duh

Actually, that is looking like another one of Ek's guesses that will end up like his many others, proven wrong

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242044&amp...=headlines_main

Apparently he is in no rush to sign anywhere and will let teams no if he is interested in coming back at all when he is ready

No, I wouldn't expect it. Look at what happened in the NFL to Houston and Cleveland. As soon as there was trouble those cities' attendance numbers tanked, also. Who wants to be emotionally (and financially) invested in a team that has one foot out the door?

The first 10 or so games were low. The Sabres could have done better from a PR/marketing standpoint, IMO. Production-wise, the product was better than expectations.

I think a good team's fans always look down on the fans of not so good teams. Even if they made it to the third ECF, I suspect the waiting list would decrease. Expectations get higher each year.

The difference now is that more then half the league is loving life right now. You are already hearing whispers of the owners mocking the Sabres for purposely keeping revenues low. There will be no lock out. There has been like six buy outs and an equal number of teams complaining.

This is the first time I've heard this. Do you have a link or is this the first time it was posted on the web?

Actually, that is looking like another one of Ek's guesses that will end up like his many others, proven wrong

Apparently he is in no rush to sign anywhere and will let teams no if he is interested in coming back at all when he is ready

Very true. But you have to remember that there's always the ranger that will spend all but about $1.25 to the cap for top name players. Someone will throw him a huge deal that he will find himself hard pressed to pass up.

I do hope he is wrong so he can at least be consistent. Regardless if I look like an @$$ for posting "duh".

I think they are saying the same thing. Ek meant he wasn't going to sign with the Habs before July 1st...

This is the first time I've heard this. Do you have a link or is this the first time it was posted on the web?

Larry Quinn addressed it on WGR. It might still be in there audio vault. The report appeared in a Canadiam newspaper. In typical Larry fashion, he refuted the report and certain aspects of it but didn't go into too much detail.

You can count the Sabres as one of them loving life..Bought the franchise low and its worth a lot more than it was when they bought it..His payroll is not that high and they dont have to raise it much because they will still sell out all their games and can put a young team with potential on the ice and keep their fans happy I guess...

I am waiting with baited tongue for the next week..If I see what I think is gonna happen I am gonna be PO'D..

Archived