Stanley Cup presentation in HSBC Arena...

LabattBlue

46 members have voted

1. 1. If the Stanley Cup was won by the opponent in HSBC Arena, would you stay to watch...

• Yes
    • No

I was surprised by how many Penguin fans hung around for the presentation. If I was ever at the Arena for the Cup deciding game and the Sabres lost, I'd be down the stairwell and out of the Arena in a matter of minutes.

The thought of watching that little weasel Bettman present the Cup to another team and then watch them carry it around our Arena would make me sick to my stomach.

I would watch ... I make sure I watch the Cup presentation every year ... it hurts but it's what we all want and I believe it will make it all the sweeter when it does come to Buffalo. No offense, but storming out like that would feel to me like skating off the ice without shaking hands ... No one lucks into a Stanley Cup, it's a grind and you have to earn it. I will always pay my respects to the winning team.

I'd hang around to see the cup. You just don't get many chances like that. I saw the Sens get the Conf trophy in 07, then we left. When those guys (pick a team) get rewarded for such a long season you feel happy for them. You can still hate them for winning but you've got to be happy that as athletes they've been rewarded, for some, a lifetime of work and dedication.

Detroit milked that scene for all it was worth. I watched the game on CBC and some of them were still on the ice an hour later.

i understand the sentiment, blue, but i'm a little surprised as well.

for me, one of the greatest parts of being a sabres fan is being a hockey fan. for me, the sense of community and commonality that you can get with other folks based on being a hockey fan is unlike being a fan in any other sport. and that's not a feeling particular/peculiar to the nhl -- if you ever go to the ncaa frozen 4, you'll see what i mean -- there's a cadre of folks that makes the trip to that event every year from all over the country, wearing their school's jerseys with pride, regardless of who's playing.

i was at game 6 of the 1999 SCF - we sat perched 8 rows up in the 300s, just offset behind the end-line where hull poked home the winner. we stayed for the entire ceremony. we stayed because we were/are, at the end of the day, hockey fans. and, as a hockey fan, the chance to be present when the cup was won and presented, while extremely painful, was an honor and a privilege.

so i get it why people stayed last night. and, to be honest, what i don't get (or at least agree with) is people leaving.

It's the greatest trophy presentation in all of sports. There's no way I'm leaving. Hell, if nothing else, it gives you the opportunity to boo Bettman.

It sounded like Bettman was shocked, or maybe he just isn't that great a public speaker. You could barely hear him over the boos. He has to be getting used to it though.

I'd stay and watch, but it is so much better when the cup is won at home. The extremes in celebrations between winning at home and winning on the road is one problem with the alternating system. For a single game championship, you can choose a neutral site. That way, you have roughly 50% fans for either team and you can set up one big celebration for either winner. Maybe they should play one game each at home, then play the remaining games at a neutral locations with tickets split between home and away. For example, Columbus, Buffalo or Toronto would have been close enough to both Pittsburgh and Detroit, but not too close to either.

If I had power last night, I could have seen the game & SC presentation. Severe thunderstorms knocked out power from 7:50pm-1:45am.

If I were at the HSBC arena, I would stay (as long as there is no controversy like in the 99' Finals).

i understand the sentiment, blue, but i'm a little surprised as well.

for me, one of the greatest parts of being a sabres fan is being a hockey fan. for me, the sense of community and commonality that you can get with other folks based on being a hockey fan is unlike being a fan in any other sport. and that's not a feeling particular/peculiar to the nhl -- if you ever go to the ncaa frozen 4, you'll see what i mean -- there's a cadre of folks that makes the trip to that event every year from all over the country, wearing their school's jerseys with pride, regardless of who's playing.

i was at game 6 of the 1999 SCF - we sat perched 8 rows up in the 300s, just offset behind the end-line where hull poked home the winner. we stayed for the entire ceremony. we stayed because we were/are, at the end of the day, hockey fans. and, as a hockey fan, the chance to be present when the cup was won and presented, while extremely painful, was an honor and a privilege.

so i get it why people stayed last night. and, to be honest, what i don't get (or at least agree with) is people leaving.

This is a great post and just to prove your point about Sabres fans being fans of hockey, Buffalo had the third highest TV ratings behind Detroit and Pittsburgh.

I had to watch and can't wait til we win it.

Guest Sloth
This is a great post and just to prove your point about Sabres fans being fans of hockey, Buffalo had the third highest TV ratings behind Detroit and Pittsburgh.

I had to watch and can't wait til we win it.

Next year, buddy! Next year!

Do any of you have relatives who have been a Buffalo sports fan for 30+ years? My Dad and Uncles, who are only in their 40's, tell me eventually I'll get passed this hey, we'll do it next year! They still support the teams, but they don't get heavily disappointed when they don't win. I'm 27, so I've been through 4 Superbowls and a Stanley Cup. I just don't see myself losing the passion I have for Buffalo sports. My wife is REALLY starting to hate the Bills and Sabres. She has literally compared me to the guy in "Fever Pitch." Any of your wives, girlfriends, husbands, whatever...say the same thing about any of you? :unsure:

I asked a Pittsburgh fan last night as we watched the ceremony. H stated he would stay as did I. I agree with the sentiment that we are all hockey fans at the end of any series and should congratulate those that go on or win it all. Kudos to Detroit for wrapping up a great year and heres to us next year!

I can't imagine leaving.

If I am ever seen leaving a Stanley Cup Ceremony for anything less than seeing my newborn baby while my wife just delivered at Children's give me a facewash.

I'm not talking about the Sabres winning a Cup, I'm asking about an opponent winning the Cup. :blink:

PS #1 I've bitched in the past about how family members flood the ice during the ceremony(this seems to have been kept to a minimum because this years Cup was won on the road), but the great tradition used to involve the entire team skating around the entire perimeter of the rink with the cup, passing it from one player to the next. Somehow that evolved to everyone standing in one place and each player takes the Cup and does a 360 and then passes it to the next player who is standing by picking his ass while waiting for his turn. Do I really need to explain it to them?

PS #2 Who was the Red Wing who had to have their kid in the team photo with the Cup at Center Ice. You couldn't wait until afterwards to get a picture with little Jimmy and the Cup. :wallbash:

PS #3 My bitternesss during championship presentations for the NHL and NFL will continue to grow until we get our turn. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the Sabres winning a Cup, I'm asking about an opponent winning the Cup. :blink:

PS #1 I've bitched in the past about how family members flood the ice during the ceremony(this seems to have been kept to a minimum because this years Cup was won on the road), but the great tradition used to involve the entire team skating around the entire perimeter of the rink with the cup, passing it from one player to the next. Somehow that evolved to everyone standing in one place and each player takes the Cup and does a 360 and then passes it to the next player who is standing by picking his ass while waiting for his turn. Do I really need to explain it to them?

PS #2 Who was the Red Wing who had to have their kid in the team photo with the Cup at Center Ice. You couldn't wait until afterwards to get a picture with little Jimmy and the Cup. :wallbash:

PS #3 My bitternesss during championship presentations for the NHL and NFL will continue to grow until we get our turn. :rolleyes:

I, too, have never watched those celebrations without hating the winner.

Archived