Stanley Cup presentation in HSBC Arena...

LabattBlue

46 members have voted

1. 1. If the Stanley Cup was won by the opponent in HSBC Arena, would you stay to watch...

• Yes
    • No

I'm not talking about the Sabres winning a Cup, I'm asking about an opponent winning the Cup. :blink:

PS #1 I've bitched in the past about how family members flood the ice during the ceremony(this seems to have been kept to a minimum because this years Cup was won on the road), but the great tradition used to involve the entire team skating around the entire perimeter of the rink with the cup, passing it from one player to the next. Somehow that evolved to everyone standing in one place and each player takes the Cup and does a 360 and then passes it to the next player who is standing by picking his ass while waiting for his turn. Do I really need to explain it to them?

PS #2 Who was the Red Wing who had to have their kid in the team photo with the Cup at Center Ice. You couldn't wait until afterwards to get a picture with little Jimmy and the Cup. :wallbash:

PS #3 My bitternesss during championship presentations for the NHL and NFL will continue to grow until we get our turn. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty certain X was talking about an opponent as well.

Reply to PS#1: during the broadcast Emerick mentioned that it was the Devils in '95 that started "the tradition" of making sure each player has his turn with his turn. Agree with you that it was cooler when the whole team mobbed it around.

As for the poll question: I stuck around in '99, I'd do it again in a heartbeat (if I had to). I'd prefer the alternative, but I'd probably accidentally jump over the 300 section railing when I finally get the chance to see the Sabres hoist it. (It nearly happened when Barnes scored.)

EDIT: I nearly forgot to mention, the d*mn thing GLOWS under all the lights. It was absolutely amazing to see it AWARDED to Dallas (yes, they were awarded it, they didn't earn it or win it, although they might have a little later that night or a couple of nights later).

i was at game 6 of the 1999 SCF - we sat perched 8 rows up in the 300s, just offset behind the end-line where hull poked home the winner. we stayed for the entire ceremony. we stayed because we were/are, at the end of the day, hockey fans. and, as a hockey fan, the chance to be present when the cup was won and presented, while extremely painful, was an honor and a privilege.

Awesome! As was I, just sitting down close to the glass. Though it wasn't for my team it was certainly a once-in-a-lifetime chance to watch the Cup skated around the rink. Those guys, for all their toughness, all looked like big 5-year-olds at the playground with that thing in their hands!

GO SABRES! Time to be little kids again too! ;-p

_drull_

If I ever have the misfortune of being at a Cup deciding game at HSBC where the Sabres end up on losing end, I better not see any of you charging down the stairwell with me as I drop F bombs and pound on the wall seconds after the clock hits 00:00. :lol: :lol:

I had a feeling I was in the minority, but not this bad.

I would watch ... I make sure I watch the Cup presentation every year ... it hurts but it's what we all want and I believe it will make it all the sweeter when it does come to Buffalo. No offense, but storming out like that would feel to me like skating off the ice without shaking hands ... No one lucks into a Stanley Cup, it's a grind and you have to earn it. I will always pay my respects to the winning team.

Between our D and the Rolly's knee, Carolina came pretty close to lucking into it in 2006...

Archived