To the Versus producers

scottnc

I know there were some threads about this last year, but since it appears the guys over at Versus/OLN haven't seemed to learn anything from last year, I thought I'd revisit it. The basic thing is that we want to watch the hockey game... not:

1) Guys faces up close

2) The puck up close

3) Guys on the bench while the play is going on

4) Guys who get hurt skating to the bench/sitting on the bench grimacing while the play is on (I hope you're OK Big Al)

5) Interview windows that cover the bottom right quarter of the screen while the play is on

6) The visiting team's backup goaltender's new mask not once, but twice while the play is on (although it did look pretty cool Marty)

7) Under no circumstances should the inside the net cam ever be used for live shots

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but whatever happened to just panning back and forth with maybe a few corner shots and saving the fancy angles for the replays.

Oh well, at least the Sabre's looked as good as ever. Solid game by the boys...

I thought I was the only one that was getting pi$$ed! There was one segment of play from a rink level, corner camera that lasted about a minute. I did not appreciate the fish bowl effect, but I hear that the producer is up for an Emmy for his artistic expression.

I was pleasantly surprised with the announcers, although following Drury's goal, when it was broadcast "top shelf," I was in withdrawal by the void that should have been filled with "where momma hides the cookies." We'll just have to wait to get the game back on MSG.

Go Sabres!

I thought I was the only one that was getting pi$$ed! There was one segment of play from a rink level, corner camera that lasted about a minute. I did not appreciate the fish bowl effect, but I hear that the producer is up for an Emmy for his artistic expression.

I was pleasantly surprised with the announcers, although following Drury's goal, when it was broadcast "top shelf," I was in withdrawal by the void that should have been filled with "where momma hides the cookies." We'll just have to wait to get the game back on MSG.

Go Sabres!

I forgot to mention the corner ice level view. I do have to admit that I think the announcers are better this year so far...

What I posted in the gameday thread:

Screamin', I am pretty disappointed with Vs. entire game presentation. It's a little better than last year, but that isn't saying much. The PP clock goes on and off at random times, the graphic at the top of the screen is way too big, and they have too much BS going on outside the game - the interview with Koivu and the stupid skating robots. OLN/Vs. had an entire year to improve and tweak their presentation, and bring in better producers, but not much is better. They still have trouble following the puck, keep switching to odd camera angles, and their graphics suck.

I hate to perpetuate the "Bufalo gets no respect from national media" stereotype, but given tonight's pregame approach, I could have sworn I was watching on TSN and not Vs. - the whole damn pregame was about Montreal.

I forgot to mention the corner ice level view. I do have to admit that I think the announcers are better this year so far...

Tonight's were better, but I still cannot stand Mayor Quimby as the analyst.

Also, the picture quality was horrendous. Someone needs to adjust the contrast/lightness: even the Canadien's pants lookes black and their sweaters almost black.

Tonight's were better, but I still cannot stand Mayor Quimby as the analyst.

Also, the picture quality was horrendous. Someone needs to adjust the contrast/lightness: even the Canadien's pants lookes black and their sweaters almost black.

You mean Andy "Why was that a penalty?" Brickley? :lol:

In all seriousness, he seems to have toned it down a lot from last year.

I can do without all of the graphics, especially when they cover up the puck (this was also big problem for coverage of the World Cup).

I don't mind the showing faces and doing "human interest" pieces only because I know it is part of a wider effort to bring more fans to the game, which means more security for the NHL.

But I agree with you guys that it shouldn't be during play. If they want to do that stuff before the boys line up for faceoffs it's fine, though.

Maybe the guys over at TSN can put on a clinic for them. Their timing is impecable when cutting from a close up as the D-man leaves the zone to the normal rink-wide view. It always flows. The VS. broadcast is so choppy.

Did anyone read this article about hockey's announcers? http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&pa...rticleid=281421

It provides some insight on Doc Emerick and why he tells so many long-winded stories during the game. He's fantastic when he calls the Devils games and doesn't cater to the national audience. He needs to strike more of a balance. Maybe with JD in St. Louis along with his BS, we'll get a better broadcast.

7) Under no circumstances should the inside the net cam ever be used for live shots.

hahahaa totally agree. But i can't really say much. Last year i posted on a few boards, that my biggest concern with OLN was with their scoreboard on the bottom and i said if they fix it, i'll go with the flow. Thankfully, by playoffs they changed it and kept it on top for this season, so i really can't complain more, even though theres a list of things to complain about. lol

My personal favorite was when VS. used the camera in the cormer at ice level close to 30 seconds, it would be one thing if I was standing right there but not when I'm riding the couch drinking my Tanquerey! :angry:

Scotty -- if your avatar is what I think it is, it is not acceptable.

As far as the vs coverage, I think it's generally decent, although they didn't have a camera angle that had a good shot of pominville's goal, which is pretty lame. Also I agree with the criticism of the animated guy covering up the game action -- ridiculous. Their studio show is pretty solid.

I agree about the studio show, I have really no complaints there. Maybe I've been spoiled by watching Empire, HNIC, TSN and ESPN - all have done much better jobs with the in-game presentation than Vs. has.

My main complaints are: too much clutter/extraneous stuff taking up too much of the screen, including the stupid popup graphics and the scoreboard overlay at the top, which is way too big; odd camera angles, like using the in-net camera during live action; and zooming in on specific players away from the action while play is still going on - i.e., . I couldn't care less about Max's reaction as he skates off the ice after hitting the post - I'm more concerned with the Hab who is putting pressure on Lydman behind our net.

The announcers are what they are - most national broadcasts are going to recycle the same three or four stories throughout the broadcast, but I wish they would quit the jibber-jabber during the play and tell us what is going on, who's putting pressure on whom, was the shot tipped, etc.

nfree, what do you think his avatar is?

Kudos to all on the Versus broadcast. It's not terrible, they just have to clean up some little problems. But is there anything more maddening than the chit chat while one team storms the crease? I'm sure Al Michaels and John Madden aren't going to be talking about the continental breakfast at the hotel while Terrell Owens runs for a touchdown. And, play by play dude who isn't Mike Emerick, would you please lose the expression "off the rink"?!

Versus is doing EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!* YAY!

*By "EVERYTHING RIGHT", I mean they didn't keep that idiot, John Davidson, on their broadcast team.

I can actually tolerate Bill Clement in the studio if I haven't had to put up with Davidson all game long.

For getting rid of that idiot, Versus, you are forgiven for all other sins.

Versus is doing EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!* YAY!

*By "EVERYTHING RIGHT", I mean they didn't keep that idiot, John Davidson, on their broadcast team.

I can actually tolerate Bill Clement in the studio if I haven't had to put up with Davidson all game long.

For getting rid of that idiot, Versus, you are forgiven for all other sins.

Ummm, Vs didn't get rid of him. He left for a slightly better job.

Really, what is that? (I really don't know, and his bio doesn't mention anything other than MSG which he's been doing for some time.)

And whether OLN/Vs canned him or he left on his own, I don't care. Either way, I don't have to listen to him. He reminds of Howard Cosell at his worst.

You mean Andy "Why was that a penalty?" Brickley? :lol:

In all seriousness, he seems to have toned it down a lot from last year.

After I got past his accent and the fact that he's an idiot during Bruins games, I thought "Brick" did a decent job on OLN last season. So I'm not surprised he's decent this year on Vs..

I haven't watched any Bruins games that didn't feature the Sabres, but my guess is he's still as horrible doing B's games as ever.

Archived