To the Versus producers

scottnc

Personally, I've been spoiled by living so close to Canada and watching Hockey Night in Canada for years. I know Bob Cole doesn't always get the player's name right anymore and that Don Cherry is amusing/irritating/a jerk (depending on your point of view) but their hockey broadcasts are totally professional, don't constantly explain things to the viewer (it's icing, see, that's where someone shoots the puck....) and their between period features beat all hell out of Clement, Jones, et al. jabbering for ten minutes. (As an aside, I've always hated Bill Clement - as a player and as a broadcaster.)

Bill Clement sitting side by side with Cammy Granato during the Olympics coverage reminded me just how immune to excitement he really is. Granted, Cammy isn't Miss Universe, but his heart wasn't racing with her presence. I got more excitement watching a clip on YouTube where Teppo was being interviewed after the Olympics by a guy from YLE in Finnish! :D

Just about every guy doing play-by-play for US hockey coverage (Emrick, whoever) makes the most exciting action sound like bird-watching. RJ is the MAN when it comes to exciting play-by-play.

What did you expect??? He may work mostly in the States, but RJ isn't a Yank!

Archived