Yesterday was the 1st day that I really believed...

SDS

that we could be witnessing "the one". The 1st 2 rounds were nice, but as a true Buffalo fan, I have been patiently waiting for my guts to be ripped from my body through a small orifice and for my wounds to be dressed in lemon juice.

After game 1 yesterday, I had this strange, excited feeling that the other shoe may not drop. That maybe, just maybe God has decided to end our sports' suffering. It was that feeling when you talk endlessly about an event and then suddenly realize you may be on that train and no one is stopping it.

Just i case this is the one, I suggest everyone stop and soak up every minute from now until our fate is decided. You don't want to be caught napping while the train is moving full speed ahead...

that we could be witnessing "the one". The 1st 2 rounds were nice, but as a true Buffalo fan, I have been patiently waiting for my guts to be ripped from my body through a small orifice and for my wounds to be dressed in lemon juice.

After game 1 yesterday, I had this strange, excited feeling that the other shoe may not drop. That maybe, just maybe God has decided to end our sports' suffering. It was that feeling when you talk endlessly about an event and then suddenly realize you may be on that train and no one is stopping it.

Just i case this is the one, I suggest everyone stop and soak up every minute from now until our fate is decided. You don't want to be caught napping while the train is moving full speed ahead...

Even if it isn't, I cannot remember the last time it was this fun to be a Sabres fan. It has to be back in the mid-70's, if even then. Enjoy it now boys (and Monkeygirls), this is the sort of season that memories are made of.

You didn't enjoy '99? That was every bit as fun, and seemed like it may be the one. Time will tell on this season, but I've already been allowing myself to think this time may really be the one.

This season has been fun since the Islanders game in October. In 1999 they were a 6 seed and it was a different style game. If they go into the finals, I think they go as the favorite. Dallas was the favorite for good reason in 1999.

You didn't enjoy '99? That was every bit as fun, and seemed like it may be the one. Time will tell on this season, but I've already been allowing myself to think this time may really be the one.

Absolutely I enjoyed the playoff run in '99. But remember, that was the season that the Sabres flew out of the gate and then played HORRIBLY during the 2nd half of the season. (Sabres had the best record in 1998.) They ended up a 7 seed after having had the best record in the East in late December.

Add in the fact that Barnaby was trying to turn the season into a circus and that season, as a whole (and especially the way the league ripped our hearts out), was not as fun as this season was. Although this season had (and still has) some major injury issues, the team has fought through them and really hasn't missed a beat (except for 2 brief occasions).

This season has been awesome. Whatever happens I want to get a highlight DVD reviewing the season and postseason. The 97,98,99 seasons were fun to watch, especially when you got a virtuoso performance out of Hasek or Peca or Satan (although the last was like getting blood from a stone sometimes). But this year its been great to sit down and watch them keep coming up new guys and new ways to win. I have never seen a "team" team like this before. Its just been a joy watching. The Biron win streak was the closest to individual performance story we've had all year, although Ryan's playoff heroics are really making him stand out, for good reason. Still Marty or Ryan couldn't do it without all these different guys finding ways to score and win when its needed most.

I love it. At some point during these playoffs I think most Buffalo sports fans will experience something much like that scene in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" when the Grinch's shriveled little heart grows and starts to beat mightily. Lets hope its sooner than later for all so the moment can be enjoyed.

In 99', every time they won i was amazed and was like "omg, they won again!" but until Woolley scored that goal in game 1, then i thought for the first time, "wow, i think we can win the cup".

This season, i believed from early on. My true feeling was game 2 of the flyers series, after the tense game 1 where we should have won 8-1 but won barly in OT but philly had chances in OT too to put us away, i was worried for game 2 that they would smoke us, and when we scored the first 3 goals really quick, esspicially when Drury scored his PP goal, i turned to the girl i was with and said "OMG, we're gonna win the Cup!!!" and thats when i truely knew it was going to be our year.

In 99' it was very different and i didn't believe until Woolley's goal.

Great post, SDS. I love the train analogy.

I'm trying to enjoy it. These games are so tense though. It's hard not to fill up your hard drive with worry and leave no disk space for good memories. After these games, I sometimes have a hard time remembering who scored.

Yep, enjoy the ride. Ryan Miller said as much today -- he said when this is all over, he doesn't want to realize he didn't have fun. Is this kid's head screwed on tight, or what? We all love to say how screwy goalies are. Ryan might be the most normal one I've ever seen.

I frequently work nights, and therefore listened to most of the Sabres games this season, though I watched my fair share. Regardless, I'd always catch the postgame show on WGR. I remember it was about the end of January when Brad Riter began to speak the words "Stanley Cup". The main argument at the time (and it still holds water) was this: these guys might not be the most talented, the biggest, the toughest, but they keep themselves in games, pounce on opportunities, have great special teams and have an innate ability to find ways to win lots of different types of games.

Here we are 5 months later, and all those cliches still ring true. When it comes down to it, there are few teams in the league that I can picture beating the Sabres 4 times in 7 games. I too have gotten all riled up and nervous with the Buffalo Sports Fan Syndrome (BSFS), and then I think about the fact that for the Sabres to get eliminated 3 things would have to happen.

1- They would have to lose to a team 4 times in 7 games. A team would have to beat the Sabres 4 times over the course of two weeks. Only twice this season did the Sabres go on skids of more than 3+ losses in a row.

2- A coach would have to out-coach Lindy Ruff.

3- An opposing goalie would have to outplay Ryan Miller 4 times in 7 games.

Of course, since the Sabres also win the 1st game of each series, that means teams then have to beat them 4 times in 6 games. Good luck!

I'm not sure exactly when it was that I began to believe that this team really could go deep. It's been a really fun progression of emotions though.

October - Started off thinking YES! HOCKEY IS BACK! This is great! Little bummed about the arena not always selling out, but the Sabres had a great start. Mostly it was just fun to watch hockey again. At the end of October I was pretty convinced that Buffalo would be a .500 team, and should be able to squeak into the playoffs, especially as some of the Rookies gained some experience. The only sour note was the Rochester game vs. Washington - it was the first time all year that it seemed like the team "just didn't show up", a problem Sabres teams in the past consistently battled with, month after month.

November - Bills enduced aggrevation was setting in quite nicely (I'm a Losman fan) and after the Sabres awful start to the month (10-4 loss, followed by a 1-5 record in their next 6 games) it was a pretty depressing time to be a sports fan in WNY. I distinctly remember that Leafs game on Friday night, where they broke their 4 game losing streak, and got some optimism up, then tanked the next night vs. Ottawa (6-1 loss). I think that was the low point of the season for me. After that, the rest of November the Sabres just kept winning those one goal games it was fun to see them winning, but didn't feel "special" yet.

December - This was the month that I really climbed on board. Of course, when a team goes 10-3 over the course it's hard not to feel good about them, but it was how they were playing. This was the month that I realized that this was a team that just was completely different from past Sabres' teams. These guys showed up EVERY single night. These guys always found a way to win. These guys had a sweet PP. Halfway through December, Buffalo got into that stretch of one goal games, and we seemed to win every single one of them. What was so great was that we were finding ways to win, even when we were outplayed.

While it was great to realize that Buffalo could be good, and this was definitely the time I started to want to believe, it was after all, just December. Couldn't think about the cup yet. My favorite games from this month were the Sunday night games at COL (6-4win) and MIN (3-2 win). Both came after crappy Bills losses, and the Colorado game especially was such a fun game to watch. With the Bills completely out of it at this point, it was a perfect time for the Sabres to really hit their stride. I wish more people around WNY would have woken up to how good they were then, but I understand...it was December after all...still 6 months away from the Stanley Cup.

January - Buffalo had that rough stretch to start the new year, but all I really cared about was that we beat Tampa on Jan 5th. I had got my Dad tickets for Christmas, and it was a blast. Miller stopped a couple partial breakaways, and one full fledged breakaway and we won 3-1. It was great. Also, who can forget that 10-1 win vs. the Kings, right before the team left for that rediculuous road trip? Best part was the whole team coming back out on to the ice after the game to sort of say "We'll see you in 3 weeks" to the fans. We had started to sell out games on a pretty consistent basis by then too. Of course, being a Buffalo sports fan, I fully expected them to end up getting blown away on their road trip, and what do they do? Go out to Edmonton and win the 1st game. Lost the next 2 out west (VAN and CAL) and I was a little nervous, because they had to come back and play the Rangers (who were hot) then the Leafs in TO. Of course, we won both, and that "special" feeling sort of morphed from, "Wow, these guys are fun and pretty good" to "Man...these guys are unbelievable!"

February - The Ottawa game. Saturday night. HSBC. Miller is unreal. Stones every Ottawa shooter in the Shootout. Vanek pulls his "around the world" on Hasek. I remember this was the 1st game that I was literally jumping up and down after the game. I also remember beating Florida, who was the only team in the East we hadn't beat yet. Finally, we played so solid leading up to the Olympic break, this was when it finally seemed like...jeez, who's going to beat us come playoff time?

March - It was so exciting getting the NHL back after the Olympics. What a momentum killer. I seriously hope the league decides not to send players to any more 'Pics, though I hear they will in 2010, because the games are in Canada. Anyways...March was sort of split in half - Miller was just plain nasty in the 1st half, the sort of really nasty in a bad way in the 2nd half. That 4-2 loss to Ottawa, where we could have jumped in to 1st place was tough, though I remember taking some solace in the fact that we only lost by 2, and had a couple chances to tie it at the end, yet got mostly outplayed. The 5-0 loss to the Thrashers was I think just the 2nd time all season I remeber thinking "Man, the Sabres just didn't come to play tonight".

April - Jeez...that 7-0 Leafs game was horrible. So embarrassing. That night probably is up there for the lowest moment of the season. Of course, just a couple nights later, when Briere scored that OT winner from Max vs. Ottawa, it felt like the Sabres were back and ready for whatever the post-season was going to throw at them. What a great night. By then it was obvious by now the Sabres were going to the playoffs, and probably going to have home ice advantage, we just were wondering who we'd play.

Sorry for such a long answer...but it was fun to look back. I had been reading the season recaps all afternoon over on the SabresFans website...guess it got me all nostalgic.

I thought the same thing too after game 1... I was really at peace... I thought about Tao of of Pooh and The Te of Piglet...

From the state of the Uncarved Block comes the ability to enjoy the simple and the quiet, the natural and the plain. Along with that comes the ability to do things spontaneously and have them work, odd as that may appear to others at times. As Piglet put it in Winnie-the-Pooh, "Pooh hasn't much Brain, but he never comes to any harm. He does silly things and they turn out right."

"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind, "Pooh!," he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Game 1 was the first game i've ever watched, live or on tv where i simply watched it. I was not in knots, i was not picking at my fingers, i was not on my knees waiting to explode through the tv... I just watched. Do you know why? I was next to the sabres coaches and marty biron. They were calm, cool, and collected. When it was 3-1, one of the guys said we needed another one to seal the deal. When we got a canes goal instead, they were not up in arms. I literally just sat there and watched the canes not score on miller. I didn't even realize that i sat through a very intense hockey game till well into saturday night. These guys can and will do it. It's just a matter of riding this wave out at this point.

For me, it was Game 2 at Ottawa. No way, no how do the Sabres go into mighty Ottawa and steal two games. Watching that frenetic third period as Ottawa threw everything they had at the Sabres crystalized it in my mind. This team could do it. They had the goods. But more importantly, they have those subtle intangibles that make good teams great. They had chemistry, luck, speed, coaching and an ache to win. No doubt about it, Game 2 Ottawa.

I started believing after we bounced back from the post Olypic break skid, and kept up the winning. Teams who finsih strong remain strong in the playoffs.

I remember the year when Rick Dudley was coachng the Sabres and we tore it up the 1st half of the season, started our slide after the break and tanked in the playoffs.

After we took to in Ottows is when I really started to see this team as possibly the next great NHL team.

I was stuck living in Tucson, AZ during the '99 run, so I was definitely detached from that experience.

Here is one difference between this and every other "run" any of my teams have made toward the championship. I think that this is the first time I am actually enjoying the ride instead of looking towards the destination. This team and this post-season ride has been a lot of fun, so even if we don't get the prize, I've been happy with the ride.

I never believed for a second that we could beat Dallas, however I didn't expect the league would have to intervene.

Nor do I believe The Sabres can win this year. I'm sorry, I just don't dare.

I do hope I'll be eating some serious crow three weeks from now, though :D

Game 1 was the first game i've ever watched, live or on tv where i simply watched it. I was not in knots, i was not picking at my fingers, i was not on my knees waiting to explode through the tv... I just watched. Do you know why? I was next to the sabres coaches and marty biron. They were calm, cool, and collected. When it was 3-1, one of the guys said we needed another one to seal the deal. When we got a canes goal instead, they were not up in arms. I literally just sat there and watched the canes not score on miller. I didn't even realize that i sat through a very intense hockey game till well into saturday night. These guys can and will do it. It's just a matter of riding this wave out at this point.

I was there, and not for one second did I ever think the Sabres would lose that game.

Sabres were outshot, but the D kept everything to the outside and let them shoot the puck at bad angles, which when Miller is playing great positional hockey equals a turnover.

They were also blocking shots with tongues, ears and eyeballs. They weren't going to lose.

I never had that usual feeling of inpending doom. This is a good team.

What a great thread. I wish I had the zen some of you have achieved -- I'm still a basket case while watching the games. However, I have been allowing myself more and more to believe that this is our year. There is still a long way to go, but I think I've moved towards kinda sorta believing that it's our year.

I will admit that it took beating Ottawa in the playoffs to do it. I picked us to win that series but I'm not sure I really thought we were going to pull it off -- I thought at times in the regular season Ottawa was one of the best teams I'd ever seen. For this team of non-stars to play their guts out and kill the beast in its lair THREE TIMES -- what an amazing accomplishment.

One point I will wholeheartedly agree with is that it has been an unbelievable ride. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a season with any sports team the way I've enjoyed this one. I like every player on our team, I think the world of Lindy and Darcy (and Golisano, for that matter), and last but not least, I love hanging out on this board.

Go Sabres.

Even going back to the great run the Bills had in the early 90's. I was so focused on winning the SuperBowl, that I never really enjoyed the ride as much as I could have. We were treated to about 13 "extra" games over those 4 years (almost an entire season), but all I could do was obsess on winning the big one.

I don't have that feeling at all with this ride. Given how the expectations for this season began, we are playing with "house money" from this point on, so everything now is gravy.

Even going back to the great run the Bills had in the early 90's. I was so focused on winning the SuperBowl, that I never really enjoyed the ride as much as I could have. We were treated to about 13 "extra" games over those 4 years (almost an entire season), but all I could do was obsess on winning the big one.

I don't have that feeling at all with this ride. Given how the expectations for this season began, we are playing with "house money" from this point on, so everything now is gravy.

Damn good point, which is basically how I feel right now - I feel so lucky to be watching hockey at this time of year, and to know that I'm guaranteed at least 4 more games this season.

But to believe this team can win it? Sorry no, it's bad karma, and the hockey gods wouldn't like it. I'll just enjoy whatever game I get to watch.

Absolutely I enjoyed the playoff run in '99. But remember, that was the season that the Sabres flew out of the gate and then played HORRIBLY during the 2nd half of the season. (Sabres had the best record in 1998.) They ended up a 7 seed after having had the best record in the East in late December.

Add in the fact that Barnaby was trying to turn the season into a circus and that season, as a whole (and especially the way the league ripped our hearts out), was not as fun as this season was. Although this season had (and still has) some major injury issues, the team has fought through them and really hasn't missed a beat (except for 2 brief occasions).

Good points. For me it's all on the ice. As opposed to hoping Bflo would score a goal and Dom would blank the opponent in a defensive game, this year's team is much more fun to watch - win or lose.

Down by 2 goals in '98-99, I'd know we were done. Down 2 goals in '05-06, I'm wondering when we rattle off 3 to take the lead. As a fan, it's much more enjoyable, even if they don't win the game, to know that Bflo is still in the game and that they have a chance to pull it out.

At the end of the regular season it was the first time I was ever sad for the playoffs to start. This is because I just wanted to keep watching hockey games, and I was afraid I wouldnt be able to see very many more.

Even though I knew that they were a great team I just didnt imagine them still being around in the conference finals. I am just exstatic that it is late in may and the Sabres are still playing, and the season is still going. This has by far been the most fun I have ever had watching any team in any sport. I am only 21 so I didnt get to see the French Connection and the great early years of the Sabres, but I know this is the best team I have ever followed and I cant wait till 7:30 tonight to have the priveledge to watch them again.

Sitting way above you in game 1 (section 328 looking down on Biron) I felt the same way. I wasn't even all that nervous. Its like I felt they would definitely win that game. From way up there, I was able to see each play develop and whenever the 'Canes had what looked like a great scoring chance, I could see that there would be a Sabre right there to either block the shot or lift the guy's stick or Miller was in good position to make the save.

When Carolina scored their first goal, just after the big hit, I saw that play develop. I said to my son as soon as I saw Brindamour on the side that no one was there to stop him and he was going to score and sure enough it went in. I never felt like that the rest of the way for Carolina, I knew Buffalo was going to take that game.

Oh What a Feeling!!

Tonight, I'm stuck in Chicago on only an hour and a half of sleep, so I'll be listening to the game on the computer and nervous as all hell again.

bandwagon jumper :D :D :D

Sitting way above you in game 1 (section 328 looking down on Biron) I felt the same way. I wasn't even all that nervous. Its like I felt they would definitely win that game. From way up there, I was able to see each play develop and whenever the 'Canes had what looked like a great scoring chance, I could see that there would be a Sabre right there to either block the shot or lift the guy's stick or Miller was in good position to make the save.

When Carolina scored their first goal, just after the big hit, I saw that play develop. I said to my son as soon as I saw Brindamour on the side that no one was there to stop him and he was going to score and sure enough it went in. I never felt like that the rest of the way for Carolina, I knew Buffalo was going to take that game.

Oh What a Feeling!!

It's like at the end of the Matrix when Neo is getting his ass kicked and then comes back to life and finally sees the world written in code and how he can manipulate it, and then he's able to kick some serious ass and take control :lol: :) :rolleyes: ;)

Sabres zen is awesome.

Archived