Ryan Johnson, how a coaching staff screwed up by wasting a good a player

LGR4GM

22 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If this is true it needs to fixed immediately. 

They should play the same system.   This is incredible to hear that they don't.  

It’s not the D system in Rochester, it’s the Dmen themselves. They aren’t very good in their own end and when opponents send two or three forecheckers to attack them, they tend to lose their poise, panic, and not see and take the easier play out. And it isn’t just the young guys, it’s the vets, too. Davies and Prow were the worst pair on the ice yesterday. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Using only the percentages (like CF%) washes away some meaning, as they're a combination of the for and against stats (like CF/60 and CA/60).  Johnson's % numbers are reasonably good because his against stats are fantastic (best CA/60, HDCA/60, etc), but his for numbers are only ok.

As a rookie Dman whose specialty is defending, I'm not mad that they kept him off the PP, and therefore I don't think the staff "wasted" a good player.  He'll grow and get more situational time.

If you want, bitch about about how much Erik Johnson played, but it's no longer an issue either.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

EJ was brought in because he knows how to win. Once you have this knowledge, stats are meaningless.

You are making me think too hard about your intent.  It’s well executed, I just can’t do these mental gymnastics. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

If you want, bitch about about how much Erik Johnson played, but it's no longer an issue either.

Adams brought up in a radio interview that Johnson was signed to be the 7th defenseman, however Granato did not use him that way 

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

first of all, Adams didn't draft Johnson who is a 6'1 195lbs

Second  here are the Dmen drafted by Adams  

1) Power 6'5
2) Novikov  6'3
3) Lindgren 6'0
4) Strbak   6'2
5) McCarthy 6'2
6) Keohane  6'4
7) Panocha 6'2

who are the guys that are same / similar drafted by Adams?   

I'm saying that Adams has drafted multiple versions of the same guy (at any position) and that's the team we have. Lots of the same guy all over but he has not filled the holes with the complimentary pieces the team needs. Most of the people we have weren't drafted by Adams, I know that. But he hasn't traded  for what we need either. Byram was mentioned here by others and that's a perfect example. More of the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm saying that Adams has drafted multiple versions of the same guy (at any position) and that's the team we have. Lots of the same guy all over but he has not filled the holes with the complimentary pieces the team needs. Most of the people we have weren't drafted by Adams, I know that. But he hasn't traded  for what we need either. Byram was mentioned here by others and that's a perfect example. More of the same. 

And Clifton, and Tuch, and Greenway, more of the same.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

And Clifton, and Tuch, and Greenway, more of the same.

?

What's your point? Pick out the few guys who are different and claim you've proven something? How many tough physical defensive defensemen does this team have? How many solid 2 way forwards? How many actual grinders? Go ahead, take your time. You want to argue let's argue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Johnson was a rookie... needs a few pounds... good outlet passer and skater... point shot meh and in corners he needs to be harder... he will learn and like what I saw but he got screwed gtfoh... Bryson was better and yes it takes a few years to develop... 

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think there is a single other player on the Sabres or in the system that is a version of Zach Benson. 

Yeah, we could use a whole team of Zach Bensons.

Uh...

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m pretty sure Granato and Appert were on record as playing the same system.

That may be true and too be fair to Appert he does not have the stability of a line up that an NHL team has. Young players in and out of the line up are not going to look the same as a team that has pretty much the same core of players year after year. You can see a lot of positioning errors in the Amerks and probably every other team in the AHL that plays a lot of young skaters.   

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Adams brought up in a radio interview that Johnson was signed to be the 7th defenseman, however Granato did not use him that way 

What is Adams trying to prove with these comments?   That EJ was bad or that Granato used him wrong?  Either way, it is another deflection of his own  responsibility for the season.  Can Adams just SHUT UP and bring in some good hockey players?   

For large stretches, especially early in the season, EJ was actually playing better than several of the other defenseman that were on the roster.  He was hitting and blocking shots and making the simple plays that this group refuses to make. That level didn't last.  

Granato AND Adams ran a gloried prospect showcasing event for way too long prior to the season.   The team was not ready to compete for the playoff, the roster was wrong, and the players had no clue what was in store.  Adams is at least equally responsible for the poor season, if not more responsible. 

People can blame EJ and make fun of him, and like many other recent players that came through here, he probably regrets his time in Buffalo.  The problem was both Adams and Granato.  This is all a chain reaction of a coaching staff and a GM that were way over their heads. 

Adams himself says he saw "arrogance from the players", "easy practices", and  "a lack of accountability".   Name another GM in the Sabres history that has had so much to say about a fired coach?   Despite what Adams saw and felt, he let the season go to waste. 

Every time I hear Adams say something about last season it comes off like he is blaming Granato.  He practically threw him under the bus at his press conference, then he programmed his players on what to say, and now he tosses out another jab. 

Funny, I don't hear Granato saying anything about incompetent Adams and his childlike players.  But he could.  He obviously has more class than that.  

Adams better be careful.  He is already looking like a guy over his head.  He is finally saying things about his roster that everyone in the league has been saying for 2 years.  

Adams is coming off as desperate.  Look at his coaching search - he knew he could get Lindy, and more importantly, he knew he could not get Gallant or Berube.   

I am losing confidence in Adams.  He should stop talking about what didn't work, he sounds like a blamer when he does.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am losing confidence in Adams.  He should stop talking about what didn't work, he sounds like a blamer when he does.  

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said, but this rings true.  Airing out your dirty laundry never ages well.

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

But if the #7 stays healthy he’s going to play 40+ games. The Sabres d-corps was pretty darn healthy this season. 5 guys played 73 or more games (Dahlin, Clifton, Power, Joker, Byram).

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You can’t call for a vote of no confidence in the chancellor when he used the vote of no confidence to get into office in the first place. 

You’ve gotta throw him down a reactor core shaft. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Adams himself says he saw "arrogance from the players", "easy practices", and  "a lack of accountability".   Name another GM in the Sabres history that has had so much to say about a fired coach?   Despite what Adams saw and felt, he let the season go to waste. 

Every time I hear Adams say something about last season it comes off like he is blaming Granato.  He practically threw him under the bus at his press conference, then he programmed his players on what to say, and now he tosses out another jab. 

Good post. This stuff here ☝ is especially weird (and bad).

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pitchforks.

@Pimlach ain't the only one who's got them handy.

This regime will not survive a slow start.

Sadly, they might survive a slow start because firing Lindy that quickly would really look bad.  Good luck getting a proven NHL coach after that. 

Firing Adams and promoting Karmanos is possible though.  

• dislike 1

Johnson was touted as a great first pass defensive smart defenseman. He is EXACTLY that. Even at the NHL level he knows how to handle himself and the game around him where he is mostly in the right place all the time. He is not a goal scorer and we do not need him to be that. A transactional defenseman who can make a great first pass out of the zone and play good defense. 

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said, but this rings true.  Airing out your dirty laundry never ages well.

You must agree with everything I say, always.  

This Is Not Normal Bernie Sanders GIF by Election 2020

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I hope Lindy appreciates the desperation here, and I hope Adams makes Lindy's desired roster moves happen.

The bold is going to be hard to do given the recent history of this franchise.   Let's hope they are talking and targeting roster additions together.  

Since he left Ruff has worked for Dallas, NYR, and NJD - he knows players and he is student of the game.   The big question is will they come here?

• Haha (+1) 2