Lindy Ruff, reintroductory press conference 1pm, 4/23/2024

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Some people have a hard time admitting that Lindy is objectively the better candidate for this role bs the others at this time. His track record has always been about getting younger players to hit their prime. The others didn’t. 

I’m not sure “objectively” is ever provable, let alone at this stage. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

LMFAO. Love how youtube just tossed a commercial in the middle of a live stream. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ the only thing that matters. 

Truth.

28 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I don't believe he is lying about interviewing 10+ people; perhaps he didn't interview 10 guys in depth but if 4 of them had the wrong persona and he didn't pursue further.

No way did he do formal interviews of double digit guys in 6 days.   How long were the interviews?  Any follow up?   He admitted he spent time on numerous calls with Lindy.  If Lindy took multiple calls then why wouldn't some of the other candidates?  If just 4 of the double digit choices are compelling choices then you are going into the next week.  

Here is a scenario:  

KA:   "Hello Mr Gallant, this is Kevyn Adams GM for the Buffalo Sabres, your not interested in coaching the Sabres, are you?"

KA:   "Oh, MAYBE?"   "Thanks, I am just checking on it.  Good Bye for now"  

Hangs up, calls Terry.

"Hey Terry, I just talked to Gallant and he said maybe."  

Terry:  "Maybe?  What else did he say?   Nothing?   Will if he doesn't want it move on, I heard he is a pain anyway."  click

Ok, I jest.  But I do not consider Adams to be credible anymore.  Not until there is more follow through on roster improvements.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Kevyn Adams reminds me of Michael Eddington from Deep Space 9

image.thumb.png.e9dda3486d33dd30ead7883af746a909.png.

Star Trek’s best womanizer since Kirk (Picard could pull but his heart belonged to Beverly, I mean how could it not 👀)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

Adams saying it is about winning games now seems to say his “can’t block the kids” is out the window.

I expect some more physicality brought in and a couple guys that resemble a true checking/shutdown line.

" Hey Kevyn, can I get some stout Vets in here to win ? We'll trade some of your 90 kids in the farm system. " 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No way did he do formal interviews of double digit guys in 6 days.   How long were the interviews?  Any follow up?   He admitted he spent time on numerous calls with Lindy.  If Lindy took multiple calls then why wouldn't some of the other candidates?  If just 4 of the double digit choices are compelling choices then you are going into the next week.  

Here is a scenario:  

KA:   "Hello Mr Gallant, this is Kevyn Adams GM for the Buffalo Sabres, your not interested in coaching the Sabres, are you?"

KA:   "Oh, MAYBE?"   "Thanks, I am just checking on it.  Good Bye for now"  

Hangs up, calls Terry.

"Hey Terry, I just talked to Gallant and he said maybe."  

Terry:  "Maybe?  What else did he say?   Nothing?   Will if he doesn't want it move on, I heard he is a pain anyway."  click

Ok, I jest.  But I do not consider Adams to be credible anymore.  Not until there is more follow through on roster improvements.  

We don’t know the timeframe for the interviews.  He could have started the interviews in the aftermath of the “Fire Granato” chants but chose to not make a change until after the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

We don’t know the timeframe for the interviews.  He could have started the interviews in the aftermath of the “Fire Granato” chants but chose to not make a change until after the season.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

It sounded to me like Lindy implied that Adams was in contact with him not long after Lindy was fired, caught the potential error and corrected it by adding something like "and after losing their (the Sabres') head coach...".

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I mean the reasons why are obvious, but I thought Lindy came across as kinda old.

Not as quick, not so much a force of nature.

Now, you kids better cover your man and raise your compete or I'm going to bore you with my stories of the old days.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ... said:

It sounded to me like Lindy implied that Adams was in contact with him not long after Lindy was fired, caught the potential error and corrected it by adding something like "and after losing their (the Sabres') head coach...".

He may of contacted Ruff after Ruff was fired regardless; as the season grinded down he interviews a few more with him still being on the fence with Granato. However the commentary from some players adjusted Adams strategy. 

41 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm kinda waiting for a question about team toughness, nothing yet.

Sounds like he eventually got the question with the answer of a banger 4th line to lean on people. I expect the search is on to fill those rolls. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Brown nosers, all.

Are these guys who are settled in Buffalo?

I know Tage and Dahlin have settled into homes there as well, but they seem to summer "back home".

Most have seemed to only be Buffalonians in the winter, although I suspect that changes as they grow up.

34 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the ineptitude of Terry Pegula makes Lindy a good candidate for this team. This team is dysfunctional at the owner and GM level. More than a coach we need somebody with the trust of the owner to separate him from hockey meetings. 

Berube and Gallant may be better coaches, but they would but heads with the organization dysfunction just like every other person who has come into the KBC. 

I am not psyched about Lindy the coach. I am psyched because he might literally be the only person on the planet to provide a long term solution to the biggest plague for the Sabres and that is Pegula. 

EDIT: Other orgs don't have to save the on ice product from ownership. The Sabres do. So while this may not solve coaching, it could very well solve for ownership. 

Craig Rivet basically made the same argument. Lindy is the only guy out there who realistically can get KA to do his job correctly and not just fantasize the owner

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I mean the reasons why are obvious, but I thought Lindy came across as kinda old.

What I've been kinda worrying about.   Hope he can still put foot to ass.

54 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Kevyn Adams is really three kids in a trench coat.

I am dying at work over this.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Older and wiser… 

Not as quick?… When a reporter asked him about his view of Analytics, Ruff immediately reeled off 4-5 measures he said he uses regularly as examples… in addition to the Eye Test.

The guy’s mind is quick like electric.

• Like (+1) 3