Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Seriously. This is all I need to know. If it happened and it didn’t work out then sure Lindy does just fine. I just don’t believe that happened. 

With Adams in charge he went the lazy way out and did zero research. This screams calling on the last coach with any sustained success who can put the fans to drowsy recollection of the late 90s early 2000s runs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Believer said:

Dahlin, Power, Thompson, Benson, Cozens, Johnson, UPL… Couple Amerks earn a spot like Kuhlich, Rosen… Think Ruff will get better results from them than Granato did.

If any Amerks "earn spots" this offseason,  Kevyn Adams failed miserably.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well my College Football team has best head coach in college football and won 2 of the last 3 national championships. So I'm going pretty good. 

What do you mean is he behind the bench? Yes, he's an assistant coach. 

I haven't watched the Rangers this year and some assistant coaches aren't behind the bench so I'm genuinely interested if he's behind the bench. If he is then he definitely isn't going anywhere unless it's for a HC gig. The internet hasn't revealed info on the details of his contract. It's good to have as much actual data to support a conclusion (ie.: he won't come here).

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Different coaching philosophy styles for sure. Lindy is a solid veteran coach, to deny that is ridiculous. But I hear you, and many others, that heavily question if he's "the right coach" to go on a cup run. I have faith in Lindy, his style is indeed accountability. Imho.

Maybe he can get us into and competitive in the playoffs,  PLUS put his bright young successor on his staff to finish the job if/when he gets stale.   Then he can go up to an executive level job after that and simply make sure no more stupid stuff happens ever again. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If any Amerks "earn spots" this offseason,  Kevyn Adams failed miserably.

Maybe. But Kulich is close. I do share your ciew though. We need vets, not more youth. Correct me if I'm incorrect in assessing your view LG, and my apologies if I am incorrect.

26 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Could be that Gallant/Berube and others did not want it, or didn’t want to talk, or they like Lindy better based on interviews.   I hope it’s the later. 

Go rewatch Adams’ presser and tell me that this wasn’t Plan A from before he fired Donnie. He knew who he wanted and he went out and got him. If there were other interviews they were of the courtesy kind.

23 minutes ago, Sabre The Cup said:

I think you nailed it. Nobody wants to work for Adams and Pegula. 

Lindy was probably the only above average coach remaining who would interview. 

Yes, it was Lindy or @Doohickie. My god, this stuff is so tired and so tiring. 

23 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Well, if we were looking for the kiss of death…

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe he to get us into and competitive in the playoffs,  PLUS put his bright young successor on his staff to finish the job if/when he gets stale.   Then he can go up to an executive level job after that and simply make sure no more stupid stuff happens ever again. 

I just know he's good at getting a roster to make the playoffs. We'll see if it goes beyond that.

Keep hearing posts saying not sure he’s the one to take us on a cup run etc, the old dogger has to get us in the playoffs first. That is a step we can’t keep looking past. I didn’t want Lindy back personally but its a damn sight better than a newby. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Ross Rhea said:

IMO the only way this works is if Peca and McKee are his assistants.

I don't think it's the only way, and I just don't agree with the pessimism many are feeling, but I would like those fellas as assistants.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ross Rhea said:

IMO the only way this works is if Peca and McKee are his assistants.

Are the only eligible people to coach for the Buffalo Sabres former players?

does anyone or anything exist outside of Western New York?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Come on SDS, a puke emoji for a banner?

The teams last 13 seasons? Ya, it's all subjective on the futures view, but a puke emoji for support of that with which we are familiar and had a decent run in the tenure they were here? Lol, not a fan of the choice, or not a fan of a fan who's so elated at the choice a puke emoji was worthy?

Ya, I'm riding it a bit. I found it funny given the teams journey since his exit is all.

• Agree 1

I am fully content with this. (Eff the whole "wash, rinse, repeat" bs. He took Buffalo to the Stanley Cup Finals - granted it was with arguably one of the greatest goalies in NHL history - still he did that)

He has a TON of experience in the NHL (unlike Granato). 

He had 8 playoff appearances in 14 seasons with the Sabres. Who wouldn't take that after the last 13 years?

His successful stint with the Devils, where he guided a relatively young team, further demonstrates his coaching prowess.

He's either developed into or had a winner at every franchise he's been with. 

He's a Buffalo man. 

Now, Adams needs to add at least 2 high-quality, tough, physical NHL players this offseason—ideally one two-way forward and one top-4 D man. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Lindy was my favorite Sabre growing up in WNY and was a great coach who I think did (and still does) want to deliver a Cup to Buffalo.  Best memory of him was sending out Peters and others to deal with the Sens and chewing out Murray.  If memory serves, I think several of us may have chipped in to help fund the fine that the NHL imposed on him.  And I also remember his daughter’s brain tumor surgery and how a lot of us rallied around him and his family.

lots of memories and love for Lindy.  But this hire strikes me as a desperation move similar to when Wilson brought Marv Levy back (albeit to the front office).   I really really really hope I’m wrong and that I eat crow when they win it all with Lindy at the helm. 

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Come on SDS, a puke emoji for a banner?

The teams last 13 seasons? Ya, it's all subjective on the futures view, but a puke emoji for support of that with which we are familiar and had a decent run in the tenure they were here? Lol, not a fan of the choice, or not a fan of a fan who's so elated at the choice a puke emoji was worthy?

Ya, I'm riding it a bit. I found it funny given the teams journey since his exit is all.

Ignore it and be happy. At minimum, the Sabres have a competent, experienced coach who will hold the players accountable. Folks were crying for that all year, but now it wasn't a real coaching search, so the rest doesn't matter.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Ignore it and be happy. At minimum, the Sabres have a competent, experienced coach who will hold the players accountable. Folks were crying for that all year, but now it wasn't a reach coaching search, so the rest doesn't matter.

I have to ask why lol. I highly respect all here, but if SDS responds, I pay attention. Never met them outside of here, but I value his input seeing all that he has seen. It peeks my interest is all.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cgang said:

Lindy was my favorite Sabre growing up in WNY and was a great coach who I think did (and still does) want to deliver a Cup to Buffalo.  Best memory of him was sending out Peters and others to deal with the Sens and chewing out Murray.  If memory serves, I think several of us may have chipped in to help fund the fine that the NHL imposed on him.  And I also remember his daughter’s brain tumor surgery and how a lot of us rallied around him and his family.

lots of memories and love for Lindy.  But this hire strikes me as a desperation move similar to when Wilson brought Marv Levy back (albeit to the front office).   I really really really hope I’m wrong and that I eat crow when they win it all with Lindy at the helm. 

safe maybe, desperation I don't think so. 

• Like (+1) 1