Kevyn Adams, press conference 4/16/2024

LGR4GM

Looks like KA agrees with me when I said that Dahlin is not as good as he thinks he is.

Hope he (and others) learn from the failure that their arrogance brought them. You could see it all year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

he doesn't get kudos for it but your need to harp on this point everytime and it ended up looking ok by year's ended.

It's simple. His wait for Levi/UPL strategy sank this season as well.  Our goaltending was poor to start the season because we utilized a 3 headed goalie monster.  By the time UPL established himself as a true No. 1, the team was already out of contention and remained so.  Who created the 3 headed goalie monster? Adams and it's a reflection of his poor decisions making on development, free agency and roster construction.  Just because UPL bailed out his poor decisions for the last 50 games or so, doesn’t give Adams a pass for the failure to give this roster proper goaltending for years.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I have been calling out a number of posters as being a Pegula or Adams burner account this year. Not me dude. 

...or is that what Terry or Kevyn would want you to think? 

There is nothing more praiseworthy than giving yourself kudos on the internet. 

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's simple. His wait for Levi/UPL strategy sank this season as well.  Our goaltending was poor to start the season because we utilized a 3 headed goalie monster.  By the time UPL established himself as a true No. 1, the team was already out of contention and remained so.  Who created the 3 headed goalie monster? Adams and it's a reflection of his poor decisions making on development, free agency and roster construction.  Just because UPL bailed out his poor decisions for the last 50 games or so, does give Adams a pass for the failure to give this roster proper goaltending for years.

Great.  What’s the point of saying all this again? 

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I feel much better after hearing KA speak. He was contrite about his own failures and seems to be determined to make it right. Wants a coach with experience which is exactly what I wanted to hear. Doesn't want to hide behind the youth excuse, which was another concern of mind. He said all the right things, but it will come down to action and ultimately results. I feel good after hearing that, now make it so.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Weave said:

After reading the accounting here of the press conference, my emotions seem different than most.  I’m pissed, frankly.

KA saw what we all saw.  Just acknowledged that he knew it was all wrong.  Knew the practices were wrong.  Knew coming out of camp was wrong.  Knew that the bottom 6 wasn’t heavy enough.  Knew that the players heads weren’t where they needed to be.  And he let it all fester for the whole ***** season.

Hands on GM, my ass.  You are complicit.  Get the ***** out of here.  You are over your head.

Yup. You beat me to it.  

I was surprised when he talked about the level of intensity in practice, the bottom 6, even his not backfilling for Quinn - he pushed that off as "who would of thought he would get 2 injuries".  Hey, VO was a known commodity, and everyone here knew he was a poor replacement for Quinn.   On top of it, he is dam lucky that UPL came around because this was a bottom 5 season without him.  

All this inaction led to the fan alienation, the boos, the chants - and even then they did not teach the players a dam thing about how to react to it.  Why they need to be taught this is pretty bad to begin with.  

Now think about what the players that leave have to say about how things are run here.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

Wish there is a clear answer... harder coach could implode these softies... then that is on the GM to find the right type of players... If they dont add a few and a coach who will hold their feet to the fire then buh bye KA... not saying itll change anything could make drought longer but I want more guys who work... let Skinner go.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I fully agree.  He has failed the organization time and again.  He didn't shore up the goalies for years. Still hasn't fixed the D group.  Didn't make any substantive changes when the offense fell apart early in the season and for reasons only know to him and G-d, Matt Ellis still has a job.  Enough!

His firing of DG today and this vehement press conference doesn't even begin to change the lack of accountability in this organization under his leadership. Why weren't any of these issues vocalized and changed in season when there was still a chance to make the playoffs?

Frankly, this whole friggin mess is on him.  He should be fired as well for gross incompetence.

Seppuku for Adams!

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

There is nothing more praiseworthy than giving yourself kudos on the internet. 

I was using it as a defense for me not being Ter-Bear or Kevyn Adams. 

But I am going to hang your free internet point you gave me on another comment on my fridge so you’re not totally off base. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I feel much better after hearing KA speak. He was contrite about his own failures and seems to be determined to make it right. Wants a coach with experience which is exactly what I wanted to hear. Doesn't want to hide behind the youth excuse, which was another concern of mind. He said all the right things, but it will come down to action and ultimately results. I feel good after hearing that, now make it so.

True to a point.  So he understands how to evaluate what happened after the fact and look at lesson learned. 

There are leaders capable of making good decisions and implementing course corrections in real time.  .  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

True to a point.  So he understands how to evaluate what happened after the fact and look at lesson learned. 

There are leaders capable of making good decisions and implementing course corrections in real time.  .  

His failure to act on the fly is absolutely a strike against him and a major bone of contention. That will remain a concern moving forward. But, this is the first time I've heard him shed the GM-speak and actually call out the myriad issues we pointed out on this forum throughout the season. This hire will be undoubtedly be the most important move he will make as the Sabres GM. A coach that wins will cover up a lot of warts. I think he senses his ass is in the sling and another failed season will find him in the jackpot. I think he gets 2024-25 to make it right. He doesn't, I'd expect he's unemployed. Time to produce results. POSITIVE results...not potential.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

This is probably all right.  And odds of this ending with Adams losing his job in April of 2025 probably are higher than making the playoffs.  

This is why I didn’t really think I wanted Donnie fired at this point.  It’s a sign the GM may not actually have his finger on the pulse but hopefully it was more Pegula saying just wait till the end of the year DG deserves at least that.  

The only sign I get is that both the coach and the GM were over their heads.  

1 minute ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

His failure to act on the fly is absolutely a strike against him and a major bone of contention. That will remain a concern moving forward. But, this is the first time I've heard him shed the GM-speak and actually call out the myriad issues we pointed out on this forum throughout the season. This hire will be undoubtedly the most important move he will make as the Sabres GM. A coach that wins will cover up a lot of warts. I think he senses his ass is in the sling and another failed season will find him in the jackpot. I think he gets 2024-25 to make it right. He doesn't, I'd expect he's unemployed. Time to produce results. POSITIVE results...not potential.

True.   He is pretty smart, he should be looking for an experienced NHL coach that he is willing to learn from.  

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Wish there is a clear answer... harder coach could implode these softies... then that is on the GM to find the right type of players... If they dont add a few and a coach who will hold their feet to the fire then buh bye KA... not saying itll change anything could make drought longer but I want more guys who work... let Skinner go.

Hire an experienced coach and allow him to work with the GM to shape the roster.   Adams talks of struggles to get veterans to come to Buffalo.  If the coach was highly respected and had a winning pedigree it would help sell the team.  

Get an experienced and respected guy in there asap.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

I haven’t listened to the whole PC.

Can someone please shed light on what he said about Ellis and Wilford?

He has a roll for them. Sounded like on the coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

After reading the accounting here of the press conference, my emotions seem different than most.  I’m pissed, frankly.

KA saw what we all saw.  Just acknowledged that he knew it was all wrong.  Knew the practices were wrong.  Knew coming out of camp was wrong.  Knew that the bottom 6 wasn’t heavy enough.  Knew that the players heads weren’t where they needed to be.  And he let it all fester for the whole ***** season.

Hands on GM, my ass.  You are complicit.  Get the ***** out of here.  You are over your head.

An apology without change is just manipulation. He can say whatever he wants but until his actions match those words, they are irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 1