Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

49 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Shame! Shame! Shame!

Possibly:

Some people claim that P Ayyy is to blame

Verse 2

I don't know the reasons
Renewed my seasons
With nothing to show but another high-pick
But they say we can trade it
For a vet with sandpaper and grit
The thought of this rebuild is making me sick

kev.thumb.png.712ccbc2e4e6fb283ffcfec9db70541a.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Mango said:

For those who keep saying "There are only 32 NHL HC jobs in the world you always take it if offered". 

David Carle is saying exactly what I have in this thread, that for some coaches the right opportunity is more important than the next opportunity. 

He’s in a special spot where he could probably have a job for life if he wants it. I’m not sure how many of those situations exist anymore. Quinn and Hakstol left similar spots within the last 10 years and I wonder if they regret it at all, bouncing around every 3 years or so. Carle is so young though. I wonder how much a 34 year old thinks about being a lifer. 

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Mango said:

For those who keep saying "There are only 32 NHL HC jobs in the world you always take it if offered". 

David Carle is saying exactly what I have in this thread, that for some coaches the right opportunity is more important than the next opportunity. 

Yeah, career management is a prime consideration for professionally minded people.  Fans can think what they want, but without better assurances from management to have a shot at success in this position, head coaching options will pass.

It's why I think Sean McDermott demanded much more control than TPegs was originally willing to give.  But a team in a rough spot like the Bills were at the end of 2016 or the Sabres are now might mean a new HC gets some authority.  Otherwise, solid options will pass by.  

Maybe Terry is coming to that realization with the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Yeah, career management is a prime consideration for professionally minded people.  Fans can think what they want, but without better assurances from management to have a shot at success in this position, head coaching options will pass.

It's why I think Sean McDermott demanded much more control than TPegs was originally willing to give.  But a team in a rough spot like the Bills were at the end of 2016 or the Sabres are now might mean a new HC gets some authority.  Otherwise, solid options will pass by.  

Maybe Terry is coming to that realization with the Sabres. 

It was speculated fairly recently that Briere requested the same autonomy from Ter-Bear and he declined. But again, that is speculation, so maybe he is wising up? I can dream I guess....

The one advantage that McBeane have is that they have a nearly 10 year working relationship from outside the org before they ever shook hands with Terrance. There is no weird flat management between them and Terry because of it, and even if we move on from McDermott Beane still has the upper hand at this point. I think Ter-Bear fails miserably if tasked with a Bills rebuild (sans Allen). 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mango said:

It was speculated fairly recently that Briere requested the same autonomy from Ter-Bear and he declined. But again, that is speculation, so maybe he is wising up? I can dream I guess....

The one advantage that McBeane have is that they have a nearly 10 year working relationship from outside the org before they ever shook hands with Terrance. There is no weird flat management between them and Terry because of it, and even if we move on from McDermott Beane still has the upper hand at this point. I think Ter-Bear fails miserably if tasked with a Bills rebuild (sans Allen). 

Briere's situation was also prior to Kim's medical incident 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

He’s in a special spot where he could probably have a job for life if he wants it. I’m not sure how many of those situations exist anymore. Quinn and Hakstol left similar spots within the last 10 years and I wonder if they regret it at all, bouncing around every 3 years or so. Carle is so young though. I wonder how much a 34 year old thinks about being a lifer. 

The ego is bigger than the thought of security.  It's what draws all (most?) college coaches to the professional ranks.  The thought of being the best in a larger pond.  Rather than the security of status quo.  This guy has unheralded success at such an early age not sure what to expect.  Quinn jumped in his early 50's right?  

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Briere's situation was also prior to Kim's medical incident 

My very spicy take is that I do not believe that Terry's management style has changed pre and post Kim's health concerns. 

He has still be present at nearly Bills camp and Bills game, no? Still at the draft table on draft day for both orgs? Sitting in on player interviews during both combines? 

As for Donny, I mentioned towards the end of the season: even as someone who hasn’t been quick to get on him, I was starting to question how you could objectively bring the guy back when the team looked to have so thoroughly resigned themselves to slow starts being unfixable. He seemed out of answers. They had to do it.

And Terry paid 

Wish Granato the absolute best 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Perhaps Pegula finally decided to put a fire on Adams' ass to do something or resign 

That’s the most positive thing, here: the 5 year timeline appears to be on the mark. If Adams had got to enter into next season with Granato still here, he could have been the sacrificial lamb hiring to get KA ‘25-‘26. I think this means KA himself is on hot seat for 24-25 and that’s the WAY it should be.

Positive development 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

The ego is bigger than the thought of security.  It's what draws all (most?) college coaches to the professional ranks.  The thought of being the best in a larger pond.  Rather than the security of status quo.  This guy has unheralded success at such an early age not sure what to expect.  Quinn jumped in his early 50's right?  

Quinn bounced around for a while until he got what could have been the life job. He was replacing a legend, so it’s definitely a special case. 

Carle has pretty much never left Denver since he started school. So that’s pretty much half his life at this point. So maybe he does know the feel of being a lifer. The Hakstol one is a much better comparable, 15 or so years with the Sioux. 

But whatever, I’d say the Adams presser makes it obvious they won’t be talking to Carle. 

• Agree 1

Honestly, and I guess I'm probably biased, but this should be one of the more appealing job openings out there. Despite the regression this season, this is one of the more talented young rosters in the league. Most of the young core is locked up under reasonable long-term deals. They're not on the ground-floor of a rebuild. They barely missed the post season last year and were in the running (even if VERY remotely) until the last week of this season. Add in what is widely seen as the #1 pipeline in the NHL and all the indicators are there that with the right guy, the Sabres are set up for a strong multi-year run of sustained success. Adams seems to be very easy to work for/with and you have an owner that doesn't meddle and has shown a willingness to spend. It's objectively a pretty appealing job.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 2

Was not expecting this. With the lack of trades made over the past year and a half. I am surprised he pulled the trigger this quick. 

I'm leaning towards not hiring Lindy. He's the type of coach we need but I'm just not sure he can rekindle the magic of the past. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Was not expecting this. With the lack of trades made over the past year and a half. I am surprised he pulled the trigger this quick. 

I'm leaning towards not hiring Lindy. He's the type of coach we need but I'm just not sure he can rekindle the magic of the past. 

Yeah, agree. I wouldn't be overly upset if they brought Lindy back, I love Lindy. But, there are better options out there, IMO. Everyone seems to think a split between Carolina and Brind'Amour is imminent and I'd be all-in on him if he becomes available. Craig Berube, Gallant would be my first calls if he doesn't become available or isn't interested. If none of those guys want the job, then I'd go to Lindy.

I think the Sabres aren’t viewed as untouchable by respectable coaching candidates any longer, but I don’t think this is a highly sought after spot either.  And I don’t think the prospect pool matters to them either — they want to win now.

I think they can get someone good, but it will take some good work by KA.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I think the Sabres aren’t viewed as untouchable by respectable coaching candidates any longer, but I don’t think this is a highly sought after spot either.  And I don’t think the prospect pool matters to them either — they want to win now.

I think they can get someone good, but it will take some good 

I agree. I don't want to speak for everyone, but this team needs a serious adjustment. DG tried and he failed.  Similar to the Bottom 6, they need experience.  I guess we'll see which direction KA goes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

As for Donny, I mentioned towards the end of the season: even as someone who hasn’t been quick to get on him, I was starting to question how you could objectively bring the guy back when the team looked to have so thoroughly resigned themselves to slow starts being unfixable. He seemed out of answers. They had to do it.

And Terry paid 

Wish Granato the absolute best 

I too wish him the best but as it was pointed out they kept too many guys around late in training camp and didnt solidify roster til earlier in the season guaranteed a slow start... goalie situation and play hurt too and then injuries made it a perfect storm that neither DG who was still into developing guys and team lost the importance of winning til it was too late and too tough.

• Like (+1) 1

I never want to hear another word about any member of this organization being a “good guy,” or that being used to carry any weight about ANYTHING. As long as they aren’t murderers or abusers, who gives a *****. It’s about winning hockey games, not a Peace Prize.

Hell, Lindy practically snapped a twig over poor Luke Adams head derailing his entire career, so there’s even a grey area with abuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

i havent read the whole thread yet but this will be our 7th HC after firing Ruff i think?

7th Head Coach is the charm!

7 coaches, 7 Horcruxes. Gotta wipe them all out 

• Agree 1