Some realistic UFA ideas

Flashsabre

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

What exactly is a "proven NHL backup?" Eric Comrie fit that description in Winnipeg.

I'd tend to hope that guy should have a longer resume than Eric Comrie's one 19-game season as an NHL backup. A Casey DeSmith/Jake Allen/Kevin Lankinen level guy maybe?

But I actually think a guy like the Comrie of 2 years ago is the type of signing we're going to end up with: Adin Hill, Laurent Broissoit, Alex Lyon, Charlie Lindgren...

Not necessarily those guys right now, but a guy in a similar situation to where they were a few years ago: 25-30, tasted the NHL, never quite cracked it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I didn't like the Mitts trade.  I thought I was wrong after Byram's first few games with the team, but now I'm pretty sure trading Mitts was a mistake.

It was and always has been dependant on complimentary moves, if any, this summer. Most trades are hard to judge in the immediate, but this one seemed especially so, because it felt like maybe the first half of something. 

If we do nothing at C, ya, I don’t like it either 

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What exactly is a "proven NHL backup?" Eric Comrie fit that description in Winnipeg.

No he did not 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dude I LIVE here

your sample size sucks 

You are arguing about over a decade’s worth of data and using like 5% of the sample size to hone in on your argument

Tis a bad argument 

My point is what you "reasonably" want is doesn't really exist.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My point is what you "reasonably" want is doesn't really exist.

The league isn’t divided into only Comries and Haseks, as much as simplifying to such a degree serves your argument. Finding a goalie better than Comrie is absolutely possible because the bar is basically underground 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The league isn’t divided into only Comries and Haseks, as much as simplifying to such a degree serves your argument. Finding a goalie better than Comrie is absolutely possible because the bar is basically underground 

You say that, but I think Adams could find away to get under that goalie signing limbo bar. 

Just now, shrader said:

You say that, but I think Adams could find away to get under that goalie signing limbo bar. 

Comrie is so bad they WON’T LET HIM play in *meaningless games* to wrap up. I honestly don’t think so 

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

There is no way we’re paying Cozens 7M to not be the 2nd line center next season imo. 

Well, we kind of already did this year. Mitts time on ice was 18:16 and Cozens was 17:11. Not counting Tage, if a C is playing better than Cozens next year, he’ll get more playing time. 

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Well, we kind of already did this year. Mitts time on ice was 18:16 and Cozens was 17:11. Not counting Tage, if a C is playing better than Cozens next year, he’ll get more playing time. 

Which is probably a good reason we traded him since Adams said himself he doesn’t want to block anyone. I still have faith in Cozens.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It absolutely is possible, but he isn't in the form you suggested; an established reliable backup. Backup goalie isn't a job like an NFL backup QB is. In the NHL you are always fighting to be a starter. Backups are starters-in-waiting or journeymen who play on new teams every season until eventually get replaced by younger goalies. So I'm not sure why you want to roll the dice on a goalie who might get good when you need them, but probably not, or just playing your starter-in-waiting as a 1B in Devon Levi.

• Like (+1) 1

Starting from the goaltenders. I think it is obvious we are going in to next season with UPL and Levi. I think another year in Rochester would not hurt Levi it would only do him good, but if the season not starts well I hope they won't hesitate and bring in a replacement, they can probably find one cheap. An UFA veteran like Lankinen(or someone else) is not interested to be back up for one year and maybe also share games with Levi.

On defense the already mentioned Pesce, Roy, DeMelo is top names that might become very expensive. But we need a RHD so I hope Adams is trying. An interesting option, a trade where I think all parts might be winners, both players and teams, is Byram to Calgary for R Andersson.

Of forwards Stephenson is a favourite as a dubble cup-winner. Monahan could improve our powerplay. I think of Östlund as a same type of player as Teräväinen, so why not bring Turbo here? Rod Brind'Amour has always praised Teräväinen for His work and two way play. As an outsider I pick Arvidsson, I just like him, he seem like someone who hates to lose.

I am not that good att fourth line players, most interesting players has already been mentioned, but I think Craig Smith (DAL) needs to be mentioned. 

On 4/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, dudacek said:

I’m probably in the minority, but I have no interest in adding a big ticket veteran free agent defenceman.

If I could effectively flip Jokiharju or Bryson for a stouter RHD I would, but I think we have our top 4 already and am not ready to make a significant investment in another.

A bottom 4 of Clifton, Jokiharju, Johnson and Bryson as a worst-case scenario is fine by me. Cliffy and Joki as the 5/6 are far from the problem with this team, both have looked pretty good in the 4/5 role in the back half of this season. Bryson appears to have recovered from the disaster that was the fall of 2022 and is far enough away from a top 4 slot to ease my worries.

The quickest, most efficient way to improve is for Mule to play 70 games and Byram and Power to play to their draft status. Power has shown a lot better over the season’s second half. Hopefully Byram will fully embrace the team and the opportunity. I wonder about his friendship with Cozens and whether it will help feed each other’s commitment or do the opposite.

Does any NHL team besides the Sabres have a D core that soft.  Clifton is the only one with any jam, at all.  Teams need to be leery of skating near the goalie.  Dmen actually need to clear players from the crease.  It makes me terribly sad that our defenseman don’t touch anyone.  It’s a physical game.  If you don’t have players that engage physically, you are at a serious disadvantage. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Does any NHL team besides the Sabres have a D core that soft.  Clifton is the only one with any jam, at all.  Teams need to be leery of skating near the goalie.  Dmen actually need to clear players from the crease.  It makes me terribly sad that our defenseman don’t touch anyone.  It’s a physical game.  If you don’t have players that engage physically, you are at a serious disadvantage. 

It would be nice if you wouldn't blatantly ignore Dahlin and Muel in having some jam to their games. Yes, in general our defense is on the soft side but just ignoring Dahlin, who literally was within a handful of hits of Clifton all year, is outright biased. 

On 4/14/2024 at 3:15 PM, Flashsabre said:

I just don’t see Muel staying healthy long term and now you could get something for him from a team that thinks he will. 

The problem is he's signed long term... and he has his injury history.  Who's going to want to take that risk?

18 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

You just know he is putting up a 60 save shutout tonight😁

He *did* play well last night.  Not as well as Dan and Rayzor built him up with their commentary, but he played well.

15 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I hear Zamboni guy plays for beer.

Oh the Vinzanity.

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'd tend to hope that guy should have a longer resume than Eric Comrie's one 19-game season as an NHL backup. A Casey DeSmith/Jake Allen/Kevin Lankinen level guy maybe?

But I actually think a guy like the Comrie of 2 years ago is the type of signing we're going to end up with: Adin Hill, Laurent Broissoit, Alex Lyon, Charlie Lindgren...

Not necessarily those guys right now, but a guy in a similar situation to where they were a few years ago: 25-30, tasted the NHL, never quite cracked it.

Brossoit of that group listed. Hill is locked up for two years.  I'd be fine with Brossoit, right age/starting experience/cup experience.

8 hours ago, inkman said:

I agree with this point in general: they ain't mean enough.

Sick and tired of how everyone overlooks Dahlin in this conversation. He's an absolute prick out there and everybody seems to look right past it.

He's 6'3 and always dishing out the reverse hits, facewashes, hipchecks, ramming guys into the boards, sneaky elbows, hacks and spears: he does all that ***** people claim to want and nobody notices.

It was very nice a few weeks back to hear Torterella talking about what a competitor he is, because it seems like nobody notices.

It felt like there was at least a dozen games this year where I heard a visiting broadcaster say "Oh, and now --- is getting into it with Dahlin of all people. There's an unlikely combatant."

No it's not. Watch some ***** games. That's who he is.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree with this point in general: they ain't mean enough.

Sick and tired of how everyone overlooks Dahlin in this conversation. He's an absolute prick out there and everybody seems to look right past it.

He's 6'3 and always dishing out the reverse hits, facewashes, hipchecks, ramming guys into the boards, sneaky elbows, hacks and spears: he does all that ***** people claim to want and nobody notices.

It was very nice a few weeks back to hear Torterella talking about what a competitor he is, because it seems like nobody notices.

It felt like there was at least a dozen games this year where I heard a visiting broadcaster say "Oh, and now --- is getting into it with Dahlin of all people. There's an unlikely combatant."

No it's not. Watch some ***** games. That's who he is.

Maybe that’s the problem, nobody notices.  I guess that’s an indication he’s getting away with some not so nice stuff. I just want Mike Peca type hits.  Jacob Trouba stuff.  Damaged players laying on the ice.  I’m sure what Rasmus does is effective and annoying but can we get at least one guy that inflicts pain upon the opposition.