GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Seattle Kraken Monday 3-18 / 10pm ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Yes! The war between Team Sunshine and Team Storm Cloud is back on!

Fans telling other fans how to behave and then chastising them when they don’t behave that way never gets old. 

Not! 

Some of the most cynical fans here have hope that we go undefeated the rest of the season and end the drought in the process. I know because I’m one of them. But that doesn’t mean I don’t also live in reality, which is that the Sabres have yet to beat tonight’s opponent.

If my accepting that reality somehow offends people here, well that’s just too f***ing bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yes! The war between Team Sunshine and Team Storm Cloud is back on!

Fans telling other fans how to behave and then chastising them when they don’t behave that way never gets old. 

Not! 

Some of the most cynical fans here have hope that we go undefeated the rest of the season and end the drought in the process. I know because I’m one of them. But that doesn’t mean I don’t also live in reality, which is that the Sabres have yet to beat tonight’s opponent.

If my accepting that reality somehow offends people here, well that’s just too f***ing bad. 

Ayup.

Dollars to donuts I’m a “killjoy” yet multiple posters say I’m dreaming when I say we can make the playoffs, and say I’m waisting my time when I’m drawing up and detailing all these scenarios for making it. The truth is I’m in the middle, and talk a lot, so whether the board is going off the rails with a loss, or going off the rails with a win, there’s a certain segment to which I look like an outlier

a little less for the extremes would be welcome 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, inkman said:

0-5 vs Kraken in their history.  Doubt they break the goose egg.  

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Yep. For some reason the words “slim” and “none” keep popping up in my brain.

I feel a win.  I think they can stop the losing to these sea monsters.  

4-2 Buffalo.  I’ll probably only catch one period.  Got to get up early.  Someone needs more help with plumbing in the morning.   

Muscle Weight. 

sexy breast GIF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ayup.

Dollars to donuts I’m a “killjoy” yet multiple posters say I’m dreaming when I say we can make the playoffs, and say I’m waisting my time when I’m drawing up and detailing all these scenarios for making it. The truth is I’m in the middle, and talk a lot, so whether the board is going off the rails with a loss, or going off the rails with a win, there’s a certain segment to which I look like an outlier

Until we are mathematically eliminated, the dream remains alive and it’s that simple, regardless of the long odds. That’s the beauty of sports; you’re always alive until you’re not. And even though I don’t honestly see them winning this evening, I’ll be rooting like hell that they will.

That in no way makes me invested in negative outcomes. That’s for those who need to create psychological buffers to ease their disappointment if losing occurs.

It’s also for those insufferable douches who love saying I told you so.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Until we are mathematically eliminated, the dream remains alive and it’s that simple, regardless of the long odds. That’s the beauty of sports; you’re always alive until you’re not. And even though I don’t honestly see them winning this evening, I’ll be rooting like hell that they will.

That in no way makes me invested in negative outcomes. That’s for those who need to create psychological buffers to ease their disappointment if losing occurs.

Honestly, “I told you so’s” are fine imo, encouraged even, as long as someone is calling their shot in advance. Put it in writing. Most of the “I told you so’s” around here are in the vein of “I was told Steph curry couldn’t shoot?!” when we win 2 in a row and people ask where all the Adams haters are.

i don’t care if you don’t expect playoffs until 2030: just say that’s your expectation. Admit your bias: everyone has one. I have one. I’m biased towards measuring by macro results above all else. But I’ve admitted that constantly. But more so, like Adams, there are some who just want to leave the metrics they are going to evaluate by twisting in the wind, so that we don’t ever actually have to achieve anything concrete: the stance never has to be amended.

There’s a poster here who takes personal shots at me endlessly rather than focusing on shots at the posts themselves and I was still the first to give him props for “calling” UPL when he said his “told you so.”

As the Irishman says: “It’s what it is.”

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

To me, little old me, I think there is HUGE gap between you, Mr. Thorns (and those of your general ilk) and those that I find insufferable. Yet, I don't begrudge The Insufferables their natural birthright and civil duty of bitching on the internet. I don't like living in bubbles/silos/echo chambers ... I really like knowing about, and attempting to understand, the point of view of others.

I don't personally understand the point of just coming to the forums to constantly bad-mouth the team ... but again, those who chose to do so are free to do so and as long as it is well thought out, I probably read it. (lol, as if they care ...)

🤷‍♀️

• Like (+1) 1

Ok, beat this team already.

5 games vs them. 0-5 record.  Only one of them was close, a 4-3 loss just over a year ago.

The rest were blow-outs (or at least borderline blowouts), most recently a 5-2 Loss in January, a 5-1 loss, a 7-4 loss, and another 5-2 loss.

So, 5 total games against them. 5 losses.  12 goals scored, 26 goals allowed.  I just want to see them beat this team.

One positive note...the last 2 times they faced Seattle, they have outshot them 73-48 (but still lost those 2 games by a combined score of 9-5)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

To me, little old me, I think there is HUGE gap between you, Mr. Thorns (and those of your general ilk) and those that I find insufferable. Yet, I don't begrudge The Insufferables their natural birthright and civil duty of bitching on the internet. I don't like living in bubbles/silos/echo chambers ... I really like knowing about, and attempting to understand, the point of view of others.

I don't personally understand the point of just coming to the forums to constantly bad-mouth the team ... but again, those who chose to do so are free to do so and as long as it is well thought out, I probably read it. (lol, as if they care ...)

🤷‍♀️

Well that’s because you know ball 

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

I still don’t know this reference.

it’s basically “Reductio ad absurdum”

It’s just the idea of creating an argument or stance no one actually has and arguing against it to prove your un-contested stance true. Curry example: someone makes a valid criticism “curry had a bad game today”, and then once he goes off in normal fashion 2 days later, your ardent Curry defender, who can’t hear a word against their black and white stance, chimes in, “oh, I was told Curry totally sucked?”

It’s the same thing with Adams sometimes, Sabres example: people ask “where are all the haters?!!” When we go 5-5, as if people demanding playoffs were saying “the sabres are incapable of ever winning another game ever” 

Ultimately, it’s just the refusal to accept even a small, valid criticism

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s just the idea of creating an argument or stance no one actually has and arguing against it to prove your un-contested stance true. Curry example: someone makes a valid criticism “curry had a bad game today”, and then once he goes off in normal fashion 2 days later, your ardent Curry defender, who can’t hear a word against their black and white stance, chimes in, “oh, I was told Curry totally sucked?”

It’s the same thing with Adams sometimes, Sabres example: people ask “where are all the haters?!!” When we go 5-5, as if it people demanding playoffs were saying “the sabres are incapable of ever winning another game ever” 

Haven't you learned that the Internet does not like nuance? lol. You cannot possibly think Adams did a bad job during the offseason, but also cheer for the team, AND also be willing to say that if they make the playoffs this year, that this year was a success (on at least some level). Preposterous! Heresy! 

You have said (I think, but go with me here) that Adams botched the goalie sitch this past offseason, so you are not allowed to be happy UPL/6k is doing well this year. This is how it works!

/s

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

JFC.  So in their stirring rally to make the playoffs, the Sabres are 5-5 in their last 10?

Gimme a freaking break and fire DG yesterday.

As an aside the Sabres' 10 game segments this season have yielded the following points:

9* *2 games left

Consistently mediocre. Games 21-30 effectively took them out of it. 51-60 got them a little closer to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I feel a win.  I think they can stop the losing to these sea monsters.  

4-2 Buffalo.  I’ll probably only catch one period.  Got to get up early.  Someone needs more help with plumbing in the morning.   

Muscle Weight. 

sexy breast GIF

I have a pipe.......errr......plumbing that needs tending to. Send me this companies info, I'll see if the pric.......hell, they're hired!

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Haven't you learned that the Internet does not like nuance? lol. You cannot possibly think Adams did a bad job during the offseason, but also cheer for the team, AND also be willing to say that if they make the playoffs this year, that this year was a success (on at least some level). Preposterous! Heresy! 

You have said (I think, but go with me here) that Adams botched the goalie sitch this past offseason, so you are not allowed to be happy UPL/6k is doing well this year. This is how it works!

/s

Well said.

- - - 

We need a win, and I think we get it. But what we really need as well is a Caps loss. Hopefully things continue as they have now for a while on the out of town scoreboard 

Edited by Thorny

And now it comes to it...

It's a beautiful day. The Sabres are in town.

Normally, I'd have my tickets months in advance at full price. Vividseats is claiming tickets as low as $32.

Maybe I'll walk my dog to the local taproom and watch part of the game from there.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It’s the same thing with Adams sometimes, Sabres example: people ask “where are all the haters?!!” When we go 5-5, as if people demanding playoffs were saying “the sabres are incapable of ever winning another game ever” 

Ultimately, it’s just the refusal to accept even a small, valid criticism

Ahhhhh… it’s internet discussions in a tidy little meme.

I guess if we didn’t have those SDS wouldn’t have much traffic.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ayup.

a little less for the extremes would be welcome 

Not a Killjoy at all.  A Kilroy maybe, as in 'Kilroy was here'.  The WWII inspector of warships.  You audit and verify the work of others.  

No, not the Dennis DeYoung line from "Mr. Roboto",  when Styx jumped the shark.  

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Not a Killjoy at all.  A Kilroy maybe, as in 'Kilroy was here'.  The WWII inspector of warships.  You audit and verify the work of others.  

No, not the Dennis DeYoung line from "Mr. Roboto",  when Styx jumped the shark.  

Very fair. Like this 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

As an aside the Sabres' 10 game segments this season have yielded the following points:

9* *2 games left

Consistently mediocre. Games 21-30 effectively took them out of it. 51-60 got them a little closer to the playoffs.

You digging into the data now PA?  

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Name em 

I think we all know who they are. ....   

But another poster wrote something that I never thought of.  Some people don't have any other avenue to vent , especially to a group  that care about the Sabres as much as we do. So being able to be negative here is therapeutic for them.   
definitely an interesting way of looking at things and seeing things from all angles 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1