Phil Kessel unsigned by Canucks

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Why?  They gave him an opportunity.  He didn't show enough to earn a roster spot.  He's 36; time to hang them up.

They could have told him hey its not going to work out before the deadline. 

So He could get other opportunities 

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

They could have told him hey its not going to work out before the deadline. 

So He could get other opportunities 

Eh.  I think he'll land on his feet.  He voluntarily went to work out with the Canucks farm team but from what I understand he was under no exclusive obligation to sign with the Canucks.  His agent could have sought other options, if indeed any other options were out there.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Eh.  I think he'll land on his feet.  He voluntarily went to work out with the Canucks farm team but from what I understand he was under no exclusive obligation to sign with the Canucks.  His agent could have sought other options, if indeed any other options were out there.

If he had any options at all he would have signed a contract long ago.  Even the lowly Sabres and (insert every other NHL and AHL team here) were not interested.  

He will either retire or go play in Europe.

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2024 at 5:30 AM, Buffalonill said:

Canucks did him dirty 

How? He clearly wasn’t fit enough to make a difference. Tocchet coached him and knows whether or not he’d be good enough. He wasn’t. Nothing dirty about it.

He has been on the decline for 4 years at least, you don't last until 38 like Ronaldo without living like a pro.

Can compare him to Eden Hazard ( he ate a burger outside the stadium when subbed in a national game) , Its the choices they make, supertalents but after 30 you need more than junkfood to survive in sports.

• Like (+1) 1

SMH.

This is his 18th year in the league and people are still questioning his fitness?! Curse of the fat face, I guess. I would bet that 3/4ths of this board wishes they were as fit as he is.

I think he would make the Sabres better if they got him. He couldn't produce any less than Benson, who we are all in love with, myself included.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

SMH.

This is his 18th year in the league and people are still questioning his fitness?! Curse of the fat face, I guess. I would bet that 3/4ths of this board wishes they were as fit as he is.

I think he would make the Sabres better if they got him. He couldn't produce any less than Benson, who we are all in love with, myself included.

More like Jealousy because we're both fat and hes making millions eating 🌭 

Edited by Buffalonill

So... folks want to sign Kessel to do what exactly?

Take the roster space away from evaluating the AHLers playing out the remainder of the season? Provide a weaker shot and worse shooting percentage than VO? Provide Cup-winning experience from the 4 games he played in last year's playoffs? Fill in in the top 6 until Quinn is healthy? Be a hitter/forechecker -- he of 35 credited NHL hits since 2019-20? Be a high-volume shooter? Provide powerplay goals (17 PPG in the last 5 seasons). Win faceoffs? I'll let you look up those stats yourselves.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

So... folks want to sign Kessel to do what exactly?

Take the roster space away from evaluating the AHLers playing out the remainder of the season? Provide a weaker shot and worse shooting percentage than VO? Provide Cup-winning experience from the 4 games he played in last year's playoffs? Fill in in the top 6 until Quinn is healthy? Be a hitter/forechecker -- he of 35 credited NHL hits since 2019-20? Be a high-volume shooter? Provide powerplay goals (17 PPG in the last 5 seasons). Win faceoffs? I'll let you look up those stats yourselves.

Who are you arguing with?