Sabres Trade Erik Johnson to Philadelphia for a 2024 4th Round Pick

Brawndo

29 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Have you ever heard of statistics?  Do you actually think you made a point when you listed a few impact players chosen in the 4th?  

A 4th in the nhl would be like a 12th round pick in the NFL.  It's virtually nothing.  

Your lack of hockey knowledge is ...... something. I made an obvious point to your obvious dumb comment.

44 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Trade deadline has passed. 
skinner has full nmc as had previously been mentioned. 

It just means he has to sign off on the deal, not that he can never be dealt.  

22 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Your lack of hockey knowledge is ...... something. I made an obvious point to your obvious dumb comment.

I have no horse in the race between the two of you, but googled this because I am bored at work:
image.thumb.png.69c1ea0664f32964dfd5c9826143f0a7.png

So, a 4th round pick (between 2000 and 2009) had a 22% chance of playing 100 or more games in the NHL. Note there is no weight for how good those games were 🙂 

The source is not some super math think tank, but the math seems to check out: https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

This is such a ridiculous and uninformed comment. Here's some 4th round picks for you that never played in the NHL:

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Jari Kurri

Sergei Fedorov

Tony Amonte

Glenn Anderson

Do we need to go on?

I mean all those players played when scouting consisted of old smelly guys smoking cigars, drinking scotch and taking a couple of drunken notes.  Modern scouting can’t be compared.  That being said, 10% of 4th rounders make the show.  Higher than I thought but still pretty low odds. 

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/amp/

IMG_4437.png

6 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I have no horse in the race between the two of you, but googled this because I am bored at work:
image.thumb.png.69c1ea0664f32964dfd5c9826143f0a7.png

So, a 4th round pick (between 2000 and 2009) had a 22% chance of playing 100 or more games in the NHL. Note there is no weight for how good those games were 🙂 

The source is not some super math think tank, but the math seems to check out: https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

No idea why our numbers from the same site differ so much😀. Maybe an older article (probably by me). 

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

No.  You threw out exceptions to the rule.  Outliers.  Iirc it's about a 10% chance for a 4th liner to play 100 nhl games.  So just about the same chance as the Sabres making the playoffs this decade.   Like I said.

Look I admire your enthusiasm (delusion) and apparent optimism (completely misplaced).  This deadline, barring a late miracle, is further demonstrating we still don't have the correct leadership team in place for this team.  I'm pretty sure we are the worst team in the league over the past 10 years.  It's a complete shite show.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

No idea why our numbers from the same site differ so much😀. Maybe an older article (probably by me). 

I saw your numbers.  There used to be better sources for this but I can't find them now.

Just now, inkman said:

I saw that one too! The pie (mmmm...pie) chart says that of the 598 players during that time who played 100 or more games, 10.9% came from the 2nd round.

The graph says (but not specifically) that of the 9 yrs and 30 players per year drafted in round 2, 22% made the NHL for 100+ games.

Math check ... 10.9% of 598 is ~65 young folks and 22% of 270 is ... (drumroll) 59. Honestly those two numbers are shockingly close for some rando internet site that happened to be the first result in both our googles.

1 minute ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I think it says a lot about the organization that a dude is trying to get himself psyched about a 4th round pick.  We need a bolt of energy for this team.  Seriously,  F Adams.   

Byrum is someone to get excited about. If your soul hasn’t been sucked clean by this disaster franchise.  Getting a 4th round pick  for a player that played himself out of THIS lineup is something. 

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Byrum is someone to get excited about. If your soul hasn’t been sucked clean by this disaster franchise.  Getting a 4th round pick  for a player that played himself out of THIS lineup is something. 

I'm fine with both, my point was a 4th has very little chance to help.  I would have liked a throw in just based on Casey being a C but overall...sure, fine.  We waived the white flag on this season despite being so close last year.  F'n unacceptable.   Why not use our cap space???   So many players moved that could help us.  Now and later.

There is no end in sight to this disaster.   I cannot believe people pay to watch this team, theres no excitement. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This is the biggest horse 💩 fallacy in hockey. Every team in the league has veterans that have won in the past. They can't all win.

The team with the most heart and talent is the one that wins. Both of these traits cannot be taught.

Dahlin has a lot of heart and talent.  It's not going so well at this point in his career.  Blame the rest of the roster and the GM and Coach?  Ok.
Leadership and IQ matter as well.  EJ, from my ~70 game view, had both.  I'm not saying Dahlin can't continue to grow. And I think Power has the brain, he's just not well coached.  On to next season.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I saw that one too! The pie (mmmm...pie) chart says that of the 598 players during that time who played 100 or more games, 10.9% came from the 2nd round.

You Rang Hello GIF by The Addams Family

You rang?

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Dahlin has a lot of heart and talent.  It's not going so well at this point in his career.  Blame the rest of the roster and the GM and Coach?  Ok.
Leadership and IQ matter as well.  EJ, from my ~70 game view, had both.  I'm not saying Dahlin can't continue to grow. And I think Power has the brain, he's just not well coached.  On to next season.

If we had a team full of Dahlin's we'd be planning the parade now. We suck because he's the only one we got with both heart and talent. 

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that agrees with you about EJ.  He was terrible through and through. Eye test. Old fashioned stats. Advanced stats. He was a drag on CO when they didn't resign him, he was a drag on us, now he's Philly's problem.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If we had a team full of Dahlin's we'd be planning the parade now. We suck because he's the only one we got with both heart and talent. 

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that agrees with you about EJ.  He was terrible through and through. Eye test. Old fashioned stats. Advanced stats. He was a drag on CO when they didn't resign him, he was a drag on us, now he's Philly's problem.

Right, he looked like a 6/7 d exactly as expected.  

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

So beware Colorado castoffs?

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. Smart asset management by Philly showing you how to rebuild AND compete at the same time. Do not confuse the current Philly management with Cliff Fletcher.

Philly got Walker and his salary as a throw in salary dump last year, used him well and flipped him for a 1st rounder and then tossed a 4th away for a temp fill in while Seeler, Ristolainen and Drysdale are all injured because they are still in the hunt. So future and present at the same time. That, imo, is good management. 

Part of Philadelphia getting the First in exchange for Walker was taking Ryan Johansen as a cap dump. 

It’s a hell of a lot easier to make these moves when your owner is willing to spend the money to make it happen

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

18 hours ago, Billznut said:

And apparently for the second straight deadline, we refuse to use any of our available cap room, top 3 in the league, again, to facilitate any 3 way deals just to get free assets. Does anyone ever get the feeling we have a GM that doesn’t understand fully how to accomplish his job? Why in the world wouldn’t you use some of your tons of available cap room to get free future assets that could either miraculously pan out or be reused in future deals? 

The answer to your question is Terry Pegula. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The answer to your question is Terry Pegula. 

I hope he sells the team. There's no leadership on this team or in the front office. Terry has never made the playoffs, he's the problem. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I hope he sells the team. There's no leadership on this team or in the front office. Terry has never made the playoffs, he's the problem. 

“Hello, It’s Terry, he’s the problem, it’s Terry”

I don’t care what Adams says, he is on a strict budget. The quality of the coaching staff is proof enough.

0 for 13 years as owner is just mind boggling. Why Pegula refuses to bring in vet, successful hockey people in the front office and behind the bench has killed them for 13 years.

IMG_0095.webp

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I'm fine with both, my point was a 4th has very little chance to help.  I would have liked a throw in just based on Casey being a C but overall...sure, fine.  We waived the white flag on this season despite being so close last year.  F'n unacceptable.   Why not use our cap space???   So many players moved that could help us.  Now and later.

There is no end in sight to this disaster.   I cannot believe people pay to watch this team, theres no excitement. 

I keep hearing the phrase 'weaponize cap space'.   Philly received a 2024 5th round to retain 25% of Hanifans salary.   That's an actual payment of $312,500 (1/4 of the season on $1.25M) for a 5th.  Whoop de do!   We don't need more draft picks. 

I think it's objectionably funny that a guy who is a Captain (read Leadership/Locker Room guy) who makes less than EJ and had arguably a much better on ice performance yielded significantly less return than Johnson whom we all saw struggle this season in Buffalo.   Maybe Philly did overpay. 

And Zemgus - who has seen his fair share of support recently wasn't even seriously pursued.  Adams said their was interest, but I presume retaining 50% and receiving a 7th round pick isn't real interest.  All playoff contenders thought they could get more from their current 4th line role players.  If that's not enough to tell you to move on from a player, I'm not sure what is.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

And Zemgus - who has seen his fair share of support recently wasn't even seriously pursued.  Adams said their was interest, but I presume retaining 50% and receiving a 7th round pick isn't real interest.  All playoff contenders thought they could get more from their current 4th line role players.  If that's not enough to tell you to move on from a player, I'm not sure what is. 

Hold on there: NHL All-Star Zemgus certainly bumps the trade value some.