Sabres Trade Erik Johnson to Philadelphia for a 2024 4th Round Pick

Brawndo

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

How?  Nice move...Philly loves overpaying for Sabres D men

Nope. Smart asset management by Philly showing you how to rebuild AND compete at the same time. Do not confuse the current Philly management with Cliff Fletcher.

Philly got Walker and his salary as a throw in salary dump last year, used him well and flipped him for a 1st rounder and then tossed a 4th away for a temp fill in while Seeler, Ristolainen and Drysdale are all injured because they are still in the hunt. So future and present at the same time. That, imo, is good management. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

And how was he sold to Sabres fans?

He wasn’t sold to the fans but he did help improve the defense by shoring up the bottom 3 and the PK.  Unfortunately, you could really see him slow down the past month.  This will be his last shot.  I thank him for even trying to help this group.  Would love to pick his brain on how this team is run.  

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This is the biggest horse 💩 fallacy in hockey. Every team in the league has veterans that have won in the past. They can't all win.

The team with the most heart and talent is the one that wins. Both of these traits cannot be taught.

but but but...he won a stanley cup. i dont understand

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He wasn’t sold to the fans but he did help improve the defense by shoring up the bottom 3 and the PK.  Unfortunately, you could really see him slow down the past month.  This will be his last shot.  I thank him for even trying to help this group.  Would love to pick his brain on how this team is run.  

As would I, but these guys rarely say anything negative about teams they leave. No burning bridges, you might get a job down the line as a scout or whatever so they all play "nice". Kyle won't say anything negative either, but I wish he would tell it like it is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

The chances of a 4th round pick playing in the nhl are the same as the chances of the Sabres making the playoffs this decade.  

This is such a ridiculous and uninformed comment. Here's some 4th round picks for you that never played in the NHL:

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Jari Kurri

Sergei Fedorov

Tony Amonte

Glenn Anderson

Do we need to go on?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

This is such a ridiculous and uninformed comment. Here's some 4th round picks for you that never played in the NHL:

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Jari Kurri

Sergei Fedorov

Tony Amonte

Glenn Anderson

Do we need to go on?

Yes that's the spirit!  A 4th rounder will get this team over the hump!  You get em sparky!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Jari Kurri

Sergei Fedorov

Tony Amonte

Glenn Anderson

Do we need to go on?

and yet none on that list ever played for THE BUFFALO SABRES. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Jari Kurri

Sergei Fedorov

Tony Amonte

Glenn Anderson

Do we need to go on?

Right, and let's add this list of all stars.

Ethan Miedema

Mats Lindgren

Oliver Nadeau

Aaron Huglen

Matej Pekar

Jacob Bryson

Brett Murray

and Will Borgen (grumble grumble)

So can we hit on a 4th rounder, sure. Will we hit on a 4th rounder, unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

On a more serious note the league average for left handed players hovers around 60%. The Sabres are around ~80%. There is a legitimate concern about the ability moving the puck around efficiently when so many guys are constantly having to reposition or take/give passes off the backhand.

If this is true, it is actually kind of staggering. From what I know, most countries now teach you to have your dominant hand on top - so either natural lefties (who would play righty in this scenario) tend to be FAR better at hockey or there are still quite a few kids out there still opting for shot power over control.

*Google tells me only ~10% of the world is naturally left-handed, so if everyone played with their dominant hand on top, you would expect the NHL to be like 90% lefties ...

Edited by ska-T Chitown

2 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

If this is true, it is actually kind of staggering. From what I know, most countries now teach you to have your dominant hand on top - so either natural lefties (who would play righty in this scenario) tend to be FAR better at hockey or there are still quite a few kids out there still opting for shot power over control.

*Google tells me only ~10% of the world is naturally left-handed, so if everyone played with their dominant hand on top, you would expect the NHL to be like 90% lefties ...

Donnie addressed this question just a couple of days ago. Our D are comfortable playing both sides, some even prefer it. Donnie says it's really a non-issue.

3 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Donnie addressed this question just a couple of days ago. Our D are comfortable playing both sides, some even prefer it. Donnie says it's really a non-issue.

But they would not switch which hand they play with...I was speaking to which hands they use where to do hockey things, not where they arbitrarily line up on the ice.

(I edited my other post to make it more obvious - I see where the confusion could have been)

Edited by ska-T Chitown

8 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Weak dude. You made a dumb comment, own up to it Champ.

Have you ever heard of statistics?  Do you actually think you made a point when you listed a few impact players chosen in the 4th?  

A 4th in the nhl would be like a 12th round pick in the NFL.  It's virtually nothing.  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I don't care if he was better than Erik Karlsson. I am just here for the all left handed team!

I care more about his ineffectiveness in his own zone. Turnovers and so on.  Being a nice guy and right handed doesn't change his abysmal play on the ice.

42 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kyle won't say anything negative either, but I wish he would tell it like it is. 

I hope he writes a memoir after he retires. With the injury history and just seeming like a decent bloke world make a good read. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Jari Kurri

Sergei Fedorov

Tony Amonte

Glenn Anderson

Do we need to go on?

Note: There is a vast difference in the modern 4th round (32 teams) vs. the 4th round in the 20th century.

Example:

Rob Blake. 70th overall in 1988 top of 4th round.

The 70th overall pick in this coming 2024 draft is at the top of the 3rd round.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I should have specified shoot left handed. 

2 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Dealing Skinner without taking salary for any longer than a year would be a God-tier move.

Manifest it swordsmen.

Trade deadline has passed. 
skinner has full nmc as had previously been mentioned. 

If we had dealt VO, we could've retained Skinner 100% for the season to get him out of here.

KA's deadline grade = B+.

B for getting Byram, and + for getting something from EJ/KO.

- for keeping Skinner, VO, Girgs, and Joker/Clifton.

Edited by seer775

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I should have specified shoot left handed. 

Yeah, "shoot left handed" in current hockey wisdom would mean they are actually right-hand dominant, hence if everyone did it that way, the league would actually be 90% left-hand shots. The fact that only 60% shoot lefty either means the % of people who do not play with the dominant hand on top is much higher than I thought - or left-handed people who shoot righty are WAY better at hockey (thus making up 40% instead of only 10%). I fear I have talked way more about this than anyone really wanted me to, so I will see myself out 🙂 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. Smart asset management by Philly showing you how to rebuild AND compete at the same time. Do not confuse the current Philly management with Cliff Fletcher.

Philly got Walker and his salary as a throw in salary dump last year, used him well and flipped him for a 1st rounder and then tossed a 4th away for a temp fill in while Seeler, Ristolainen and Drysdale are all injured because they are still in the hunt. So future and present at the same time. That, imo, is good management. 

Other than acquiring Risto in the first place.