Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

I will admit that Byram has played his tushy off since arriving in Buffalo.  His aggressive style is helping activate the entire D group.  His excellent play also makes you wonder about Power.  

Krebs stepping in for Casey is a joke.  Downgrading from Casey to Krebs has created a Grand Canyon size hole in the forward group.  Even with the bombardment in the 1st two periods tonight, most of the playmaking was creating by Byram and Dahlin.  3 of the 7 goals were by D again tonight.  2 of the forwards goals were unassisted after great plays by Tuch and JJP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I will admit that Byram has played his tushy off since arriving in Buffalo.  His aggressive style is helping activate the entire D group.  His excellent play also makes you wonder about Power.  

Krebs stepping in for Casey is a joke.  Downgrading from Casey to Krebs has created a Grand Canyon size hole in the forward group.  Even with the bombardment in the 1st two periods tonight, most of the playmaking was creating by Byram and Dahlin.  3 of the 7 goals were by D again tonight.  2 of the forwards goals were unassisted after great plays by Tuch and JJP. 

Krebs isn’t the answer at 3c. It are you really complaining that we only scored 4 goals by forward and 7 overall? Can’t we enjoy a blowout?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think everyone is overthinking this because everyone wants him to extend 7-8 years, but I fully expect him to get bridged into free agency on a lower AAV (7.5-8) for three years and it wouldn’t surprise me if GMKA and his agent already have a handshake deal in place that gets signed this summer.

Like many, I’ve been vocal about GMKA being too conservative or taking too long to make decisions. I can’t imagine GMKA suddenly departing from that behavior and making a knee jerk trade without doing an absolutely excessive amount of due diligence. The trade was “leaked” 2-3 weeks before the deadline when Mitts was linked to Colorado and Byram was linked to Buffalo. I took that with a grain of salt like most trade news, but this wasn’t a quickly done trade by any means.

The Sabres (and his agent) will dangle the expected cap increases of the next few years in front of him if he takes the free agency bridge deal. It’ll also be sold as 3 years of guaranteed money given his injury history—something he might not get in arbitration—and an opportunity to play with Dahlin on a top D pairing before hitting free agency.

At the time the contract ends, Buffalo will move assets (i.e. Power/Sammy) to keep him if the value is there and it makes sense. Basically Buffalo wants to see if it’s a value add to Dahlin. If not, he’ll be a trade piece or he’ll just simply walk to free agency after having spent 4 seasons and change in Buffalo.

As for the “kicking the can down the road” argument because we traded Mitts’ contract for Bo’s, I agree in principle, but it’s somewhat of a flawed comparison. Mitts was going to end up a very expensive 3C in the organization because GMKA already hitched his wagon to Cozens and Tage (we can debate this all day but it’s the situation nonetheless). Unloading Mitts for Byram filled a role (Dahlin’s partner) that makes more sense to spend cap on than overpaying for a 3C. There is a reason why Matthews/MacKinnon/McDavid in this league have (expensive) supporting players. How long did we go with Dahlin - Joki? Sammy has done fine with Dahlin—at least when healthy—but is anyone really happy with it? Fine isn’t good enough. Getting out of this endless cycle starts with getting the superstar Swede a serious partner.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Krebs isn’t the answer at 3c. It are you really complaining that we only scored 4 goals by forward and 7 overall? Can’t we enjoy a blowout?

I loved the blow out.  It was the best first 40 minutes the team played this season.  However, no one can watch that forward group and be happy with their play overall.  Tonight Greenway and Benson were excellent.  Tuch had a good game.  However, these forwards as a group have an incredibly hard time creating offense this season.  KA is going to need to invest in a couple of centers, but I don't think he has it in him. 

18 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Power has really improved of late. This trade has seemed to have had the indirect and unexpected upside in putting a burr under Power's saddle. The Great Triumvirate of Dalhlin, Power and Byram will carry this team forward! 

I thought Power looked good after he returned from injury, until last night.  However, I thought he played afraid last night.  He has no physical aspect to his game.  None.  Not only does he not hit, but he avoids being hit and he plays with his stick way too much.  Two goals were on him.  

He was right there when Fisher purposely jumped on UPL and he did nothing.  So what happens, they jump UPL again   The Wings were begging for it last night   

Yeah, Power is only 21.   Byram is only 22.  Dahlin is only 23.   

If Bryam has a huge year next season is Adams going to pay him or trade him?   Mitts was moved in part because of salary planning.   All Adams did was kick that can down the road for one year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I thought Power looked good after he returned from injury, until last night.  However, I thought he played afraid last night.  He has no physical aspect to his game.  None.  Not only does he not hit, but he avoids being hit and he plays with his stick way too much.  Two goals were on him.  

He was right there when Fisher purposely jumped on UPL and he did nothing.  So what happens, they jump UPL again   The Wings were begging for it last night   

If Bryam has a huge year next season is Adams going to pay him or trade him?   Mitts was moved in part because of salary planning.   All Adams did was kick that can down the road for one year.  

I saw what you saw @Pimlach… Could not believe Power let UPL get run over right in front of him with no response… Power is overrated, overhyped, and overpaid…  If Byram continues to develop his two-way game, Power can be traded while he still has high first round value… Give me an all-pro late 20’s RHD who can skate with heavy presence and grit… Even up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He was, and he was likely not going to fit into their cap projections/decisions but getting rid of one problem with another problem isn't really a good plan. We are just kicking the can down the road. 

What can are we kicking down the road? There is an irony that you complain that we are not talented enough, and then complain that when you do get more talent that it is too burdensome to keep. You seem to be the type of guy who complains when getting up and then complains when going to bed. Sheeeeeesh!

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Or he trades Power. 

Why in the world would the GM trade Power? What he has done over the past few years is assemble enough talent (still young) to put together a top tier blueline. On top of that, that unit now has sufficient depth to absorb injuries. Our young goalie is playing at a surprisingly high-end level. He is currently supported by a young group of blueliners who are playing in front of him. Why would he trade a goalie like Power who is steadily getting better and will become one of the better defenders in the league. 

I just don't understand the logic of assembling a roster with the desire to then disassemble it. All teams have to wrestle with the cap. It's a challenge to do. The advantage that our GM has is that he has locked up his top talent sooner to get a discount rate. (For some, not you, he is criticized for it.) Because of these early signings he will have a little more room to maneuver when forced to decide who he can keep, and who he will be forced to move.  

I agree with you that at some point the will have to decide who to move out and who to bring in. But that's the cap conundrum that all teams have to wrestle with. I'm confident that Power won't be one of the players who will be moved because he will be one of our anchor/essential players that we will keep for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

Power is overrated, overhyped, and overpaid…

The hype machine is bigger than the Sabres org.  I watched the second two periods on the Red Wings coverage last night and they had nothing but praise for the guy.  They see his potential, and he's a pretty good player already.  His Corsi For is 51.9%; that's pretty good. 

I think the negative view of Power is fueled by the fact that people want to see the finished product now but Power is still on the development curve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I have a different view on Power and his style of play. You are absolutely right that he is not a banger. However, too many people get caught up with his humongous size and make the assumption that it should translate into a more physical style of play. That's not his game and will never be his game. He is a smart player (for his experience level) who is for the most part good at positioning. He's not the type of player who is going to knock a lot of players out of position. This big guy can skate and he is steadily widening his game on offense. I politely recommend that you wait a little longer before making a judgment on him. In my opinion, he is going to be a gem. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with the concerns on Power.  At some point I'd sure like them to find him a partner with some edge to his game, because Power doesn't seem to have it in his nature.  Having said that, I am pretty far from feeling like Power is a bust or that they will need to trade him.  He's a very young player with a very high hockey IQ IMHO and he'll improve every year.

I kinda disagree with the bolded.  While I think money did play a role, I think KA's bottom line was that Mitts, although a good player whom KA would've been happy to keep at the right price, simply wasn't worth what it would have cost to keep him.

I also think there will be cap room to keep Dahlin, Power and Byram around long term if their play warrants it -- and that KA thinks their play will warrant it and is planning to keep all 3.

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Neither does Erik Karlsson.

39 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I didn't watch whole game, but I thought he looked great moving puck, jumping in on play. Loved the play he made on the goal that was called back. I hope they do not trade him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I didn't watch whole game, but I thought he looked great moving puck, jumping in on play. Loved the play he made on the goal that was called back. I hope they do not trade him.

Power is 21 years old. 21!!!!  The amount of hate people have on this board borders on craziness for a player who is so young and still has a ton of room to grow.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Power is 21 years old. 21!!!!  The amount of hate people have on this board borders on craziness for a player who is so young and still has a ton of room to grow.

Same thing with Casey 2-3 years ago. Then same folks wringing  hands over trading him! Same lamenting over UPL the past two seasons. Worthless. Will never be an NHL goalie. 

Everyone is so impatient. 

He does need to get way stronger and more physical. 

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with the concerns on Power.  At some point I'd sure like them to find him a partner with some edge to his game, because Power doesn't seem to have it in his nature.  Having said that, I am pretty far from feeling like Power is a bust or that they will need to trade him.  He's a very young player with a very high hockey IQ IMHO and he'll improve every year.

I kinda disagree with the bolded.  While I think money did play a role, I think KA's bottom line was that Mitts, although a good player whom KA would've been happy to keep at the right price, simply wasn't worth what it would have cost to keep him.

I also think there will be cap room to keep Dahlin, Power and Byram around long term if their play warrants it -- and that KA thinks their play will warrant it and is planning to keep all 3.

So you’re saying that money played a role, but really it was about ….money? 
Agreed!