Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams is collecting Team Canaa's lockout world junior team.

Cozens and Krebs were that team's top forwards, Levi its starting goalie, Quinn a middle-sixer and Byrum its top defenceman and alternate captain.

Maybe KA can swing a deal for Zegras just to piss em off.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

At least Beane is making good headway today reshaping the Bills aging roster to distract me from how much I dislike the job Adams is doing with the Sabres.

Go to a Bills forum then 

Well, lets see if we can turn Byram into another Montour and then ship him out for peanuts next year.  I just don't get it.  Arguably our best forward this year for yet another lefty d-man.  So does this mean we have to count on Savoie, Benson and whatever top 5 draft pick this year as our #1 centerman next year?  Aww what the hell, why not a few more years of developing at the NHL level.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

At least Beane is making good headway today reshaping the Bills aging roster to distract me from how much I dislike the job Adams is doing with the Sabres.

Well that depends on what he does to replace what he just released 

1 minute ago, TageMVP said:

Go to a Bills forum then 

Went there after the trade to keep up on the Bills news.  

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

Well that depends on what he does to replace what he just released 

That's a discussion for the Bills thread.  See you there!

• Haha (+1) 1

My 2 cents:

- I like the trade.  I've never been a fan of Mitts', and although he's developed over the years from probable washout to decent NHL forward, I sure didn't want to give him $7MM x 7 years (or more), which is what I think an extension would've cost.  The characterizations in this thread of Mitts as "our best forward" and "tough to play against" are insane IMHO.

- Meanwhile, Byram, who turns 23 in June, has been averaging 20-22 minutes per game in the last 2 seasons for an elite NHL franchise.  He's averaged 20 min per game in 27 playoff games.  He's a great skater, he fights more than most of our D group and he can score a bit.

- There is NFW that they trade Byram after 1 season.  If he's good, they'll sign him to a long-term extension.

- I understand the reflexive doubt for any move KA makes -- he's earned it with this atrocious season.  But I think @pi2000 is right that this was a good and opportunistic move to sell MItts high and buy Byram low.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

That’s 3 top pairing dmen.   

Why are the Avs giving up on him? 

Seems Colorado, like Florida, Edmonton and the Leafs among others, go offense first and clearly do not seem to care about defense. Florida got a forward so Colorado and the Oilers get forwards. I trust the Colorado braintrust to draft this guy he must be okay. I do worry however about health as we do nto need another defenseman who gets hurt all the time.

Turth must be Mitts priced himself out of our range and probably made it clear he DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE unless he got BIG money...with all the young guys we are bound to lose more due to cap space in the years ahead too...

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My 2 cents:

- I like the trade.  I've never been a fan of Mitts', and although he's developed over the years from probable washout to decent NHL forward, I sure didn't want to give him $7MM x 7 years (or more), which is what I think an extension would've cost.  The characterizations in this thread of Mitts as "our best forward" and "tough to play against" are insane IMHO.

- Meanwhile, Byram, who turns 23 in June, has been averaging 20-22 minutes per game in the last 2 seasons for an elite NHL franchise.  He's averaged 20 min per game in 27 playoff games.  He's a great skater, he fights more than most of our D group and he can score a bit.

- There is NFW that they trade Byram after 1 season.  If he's good, they'll sign him to a long-term extension.

- I understand the reflexive doubt for any move KA makes -- he's earned it with this atrocious season.  But I think @pi2000 is right that this was a good and opportunistic move to sell MItts high and buy Byram low.

Definitely unfair to claim negative reaction as reflexive. Plenty of data points to suggest the deal is questionable, looking purely in a vacuum 

As soon as I saw LHD my heart sank. It goes against principles I’ve argued against in the past. It’s worrying positionally and due to injury concerns. And relative to giving up the forward who’s HAVING the best season, if that bridges that gap for you 

Edited by Thorny