Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Kevyn is going to make a pair of ready solid FA signings to fill our bottom two centers. The deals are all but signed. This is called foresight and I’m happy Kevyn’s thinking ahead. Classic chess players mind. 

I wouldn’t dismiss Krebs as our 3C.  I think he gets a shot at it (if Granato stops putting him on the 4th line). 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1

Just now, inkman said:

That’s really more of an indictment of Tage & Dylan’s defensive prowess than Casey’s own zone acumen. 

It's both.  I kind of knew this was coming since Mitts said Kevyn hadn't contacted agent, but still.  Damn.

Sad Family Feud GIF by ABC Network

Just now, inkman said:

I wouldn’t dismiss Krebs as our 3C.  I think he gets a shot at it (if Granato stops putting him on the 4th line). 

I forgot Krebs. I actually like him a lot but if KA does too he’s gotta get Granato on board. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Now it makes sense why Kulich remained at centre for the Amerks 

that being said , I still like the centre spine of Tage, Cozens and Krebs.  Can Krebs pick up some offence moving up the lineup frOm the 4th line? 
 It will be interesting who they pair Byram with.  I wonder if we see him with Power for the rest of the year?

Dahlin - Joker

Power - Byram

RJ - Clifton

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Only makes sense if we are moving a D in another deal at some point. Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Byram, Jokiharju, Clifton and R. Johnson would all be top 6 next year. I don’t think any are a #7. 

They need a legit top 4 RHD.   It's a must have.   I would try to move Joker in the off- season

The low level of trust in the GM is coming out full bore in this thread.  And it's all completely reasonable.  

Might be a good move in the long run...but being a seller at the deadline essentially with an asset he had no real intention of keeping will be suspect until it's not. 

And it comes 3+ seasons into a rebuild.  As @That Aud Smell noted, this was kind of set when TT and Cozens got extended.   

Edited by SabresVet
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

Last 2 C’s they traded won a Cup. Good luck Casey

His game - as it evolved - was one of the few in the Sabre forward ranks that I could see becoming really well-suited to playoff hockey.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Serious concussion history.

Exactly that is why I don’t like this trade for the Buffalo Sabres. Concussions never go fully away they get worse over time as you get contact. In professional hockey there is contact there is no way to avoid contact and do your job as a NHL defenseman. I don’t get the Buffalo Sabres organization they weren’t ok with Jack Eichel getting surgery but they are ok with a player with multiple concussion injuries. Just a messed up organization Kevyn Adams, Don Granato and the entire Sabres analytics department need to be fired. In today’s game in sports with concussions and CTE I never trade for players like that in the modern era of sports. The concussion could pop up at anytime and the player is out months or worse retires at 26 years old and the team they are stuck with nothing in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

If Mitts wasn’t in their plans and they were never going to re-sign him, it does make sense to get something for him vs. letting him walk away as a free agent for nothing. This is not a vote of support for the trade as Mitts was finally coming into his own and I prefer that we had kept him, but it’s not hard to understand the reasoning behind the move at this time. 

• Like (+1) 2

Ok, the positive point of view as others have said....

-Krebs basically takes Mitts spot. Is he as good? No, but he has taken a considerably step forward.

-Byram, although ANOTHER very young D-man, might possible give this team the best "Young" top 4 D-group in the league.  He is so young and still getting better.

-You don't have to pay Mitts that $5m-$7m per year, hopefully Krebs can give you a lot of what Mitts did, AND a lower cost guy from Roch fills in that spot next year on the lower lines.

I "Like" Mitts, but I didn't "love" his game.  He has turned into a very good player but not one I want to pay a lot of money for as I don't see him as someone who can take over a game.  I'm good with this move at this point, although I really, REALLY did like Mitts at center with Cozens on wing, I think this guarantees Cozens at Center, which I'm not too happy with.

You all can be negative all you want because that is what most of you do best, just complain about things almost no matter what moves happen. For me, Mitts is good but he's not a game changer carrying this team on his back to win after win after win....to see a change like this, I'm happy to see what it brings.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2