GDT / Buffalo Sabres @ Columbus Blue Jackets, Friday 7pm , MSG, Sling & WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

UPL a rock again. What I’m worried about is the snipers still aren’t scoring. Both goals were dirty goals from unexpected sources. Need more from the top 6, which has been the case all year and while this has been a down year. A road win is a road win though, anyway you can get it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

I was fortunate to be at the game tonight with buddies from work. I wore my 1994 Brian Holzinger sweater.

As usual, there were quite a few Sabres fans in attendance. As expected, we skated slow in the 1st and didn't have much to show. Okie's goal was dirty (off his glove or arm?) and I didn't get a look at Greenway's score given our seats. UPL was solid.  Can someone/anyone please assist Tage with puck control?

2 W in a row
go Sabres

Just read the 2nd goal was Clifton's lol at me

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii

2 minutes ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

I was at the game tonight with buddies from work. I wore my 1994 Brian Holzinger sweater.

As usual, there were quite a few Sabres fans in attendance. As expected, we skated slow in the 1st and didn't have much to show. Okie's goal was dirty (off his glove or arm?) and I didn't get a look at Greenway's score given our seats. UPL was solid.

go Sabres

1st goal is still credited to Girgs by some miracle lol

• Thanks (+1) 1

You guys actually think that was a good hockey game? Really? Well, subjective perception I guess. 

imo this was the textbook definition of low event hockey. Basically a complete nothing of a hockey game but at least the right team came out on top. I was just glad I watched this on replay so I could speed it up a little otherwise I might have fallen asleep. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You guys actually think that was a good hockey game? Really? Well, subjective perception I guess. 

imo this was the textbook definition of low event hockey. Basically a complete nothing of a hockey game but at least the right team came out on top. I was just glad I watched this on replay so I could speed it up a little otherwise I might have fallen asleep. 

low event for sure, I was socializing as much as I was watching...to me, it was UPL and not much more of anything else other than JJP flashes

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Alaska John said:

I honestly don't know who the Sabres play next but since they've won two in a row, there is no way in hell they win the next one.  Not this team, not this year.

Carolina. If Carolina plays like they did against Florida Sabres will be shut down and blown out. But, I suspect they won't and we could catch them napping. Maybe. But unlikely. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Totally agree.

Way too wide open for a road game, UPL stole this one.

And what was with the complete slot collapse after the Jackets pulled the goaltender? Standing around just waiting, and letting them pass it around like that? It’s 6 on 5, not 4 on 3!

Our luck the Jackets are crap!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kristian said:

Totally agree.

Way too wide open for a road game, UPL stole this one.

And what was with the complete slot collapse after the Jackets pulled the goaltender? Standing around just waiting, and letting them pass it around like that? It’s 6 on 5, not 4 on 3!

Our luck the Jackets are crap!

what's wrong with playing a wide open game ..and why can't you play that way on the road? It worked last season

• Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, nucci said:

what's wrong with playing a wide open game ..and why can't you play that way on the road? It worked last season

Because we’re not scoring enough goals to play that way this year, and if not for UPL, we wouldn’t have last night either.

First win of the season when scoring less than three goals. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Alaska John said:

I honestly don't know who the Sabres play next but since they've won two in a row, there is no way in hell they win the next one.  Not this team, not this year.

and not against Carolina who seems to be rolling right now. 

By the way, on the goal allowed last night....

R. Johnson was down low to account for to C-bus forwards at the time of the goal. He could have been more physical or made a play on the puck...sometimes you do sometimes you don't.

My question is with Jokiharju that play.  I think he has played pretty well recently and actually has had a decent year. But when I look at the replay, its not a TERRIBLE mistake but the reason Johnson has to deal with 2 guys is Jokiharju floats up the ice toward the faceoff circle.  Now, normally I would not think thats a bad thing...but there really is no C-bus player there to cover and Benson was already there.

The Sabres seem to be getting a lot better in their own end latey, and no team makes zero mistakes...but I'm just not sure why a D-man would skate away from his own net...toward a spot on the ice with no defender, when one of your forwards is there already...leaving only your rookie D-man to cover ANYTHING happening down low.  Those are the things this team did earlier in the year that they seemed to cover up lately.....lets see if this happens more when they play some of the tougher competition coming up on the schedule.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If you want an idea of just how awful this game was: the YT recap video that is usually 12 minutes long was barely half that length for this one.

I was wondering how they were going to pad it.

I find those videos so useful. If anything remotely significant happens, it's in there.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The only reason the Sabres won the last two games is they were playing a couple of the few teams that the Sabres are actually ahead of in the standings and didn't mess it up.  Montreal especially plays like we do:  Sloppy and mistake-prone, with no heart.  Columbus at least showed some hustle but despite their speed couldn't string enough passes together to be a threat.

Now if they manage to beat Carolina I'll be impressed and surprised.  Let's see what they can do.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

By the way, on the goal allowed last night....

R. Johnson was down low to account for to C-bus forwards at the time of the goal. He could have been more physical or made a play on the puck...sometimes you do sometimes you don't.

My question is with Jokiharju that play.  I think he has played pretty well recently and actually has had a decent year. But when I look at the replay, its not a TERRIBLE mistake but the reason Johnson has to deal with 2 guys is Jokiharju floats up the ice toward the faceoff circle.  Now, normally I would not think thats a bad thing...but there really is no C-bus player there to cover and Benson was already there.

The Sabres seem to be getting a lot better in their own end latey, and no team makes zero mistakes...but I'm just not sure why a D-man would skate away from his own net...toward a spot on the ice with no defender, when one of your forwards is there already...leaving only your rookie D-man to cover ANYTHING happening down low.  Those are the things this team did earlier in the year that they seemed to cover up lately.....let’s see if this happens more when they play some of the tougher competition coming up on the schedule.

It was a PK for the Sabres. If the guy at the point passes it to the BJ on the half wall instead of the guy driving the net, that’s his responsibility.

Just one of those plays where everyone does what they are supposed to do and they still score.

Someone else needed to tip that pass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.