On the DG interview today

The most jarring thing for me to hear was this….

Donnie was discussing the boos and that the players don’t like being booed and it hurts.  

For me that’s a problem but whatever.  

In explaining it further he said this (essentially):  “Several of these guys decided on extensions before going to market because they want to be here…so it hurts.”

Ok.  I take that 100% to mean that came up in discussing this.

Someone legit said “we made a choice to stay in this dump of a city* and this is the thanks we get?”   

*Make no mistake - it isn’t the organization that gives this team a recruiting problem it’s the area.  We had problems during the Hasek days trying to convince guys to come here.  I think Geoff Sanderson comes to mind as a guy that wasn’t sure.   

Buffalo will always be my home despite having moved and I’ll defend it no matter what.  However the perception of the city is not good compared to other options in the league.  Maybe you’ll disagree but anyway…

Thoughts on this?  I’m completely blown away Donnie actually relayed that and that it was even said (presumably per DG).   

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Disagree 1

They did not have trouble getting guys to come here during the Hasrk days. Ownership chose not to compete. I never once heard of any reservations from Geoff Sanderson.

That being said, obviously Buffalo isn’t first choice of younger guys that have a choice but if “fans that have expectations” fall anywhere on the list of reasons to sign for free agents, and I doubt it, there are about 29 cities were fans expect more.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

Donnie was discussing the boos and that the players don’t like being booed and it hurts.  

In explaining it further he said this (essentially):  “Several of these guys decided on extensions before going to market because they want to be here…so it hurts.”

Someone legit said “we made a choice to stay in this dump of a city* and this is the thanks we get?”   

*Make no mistake - it isn’t the organization that gives this team a recruiting problem it’s the area.  We had problems during the Hasek days trying to convince guys to come here.  I think Geoff Sanderson comes to mind as a guy that wasn’t sure.   

Buffalo will always be my home despite having moved and I’ll defend it no matter what.  However the perception of the city is not good compared to other options in the league.  Maybe you’ll disagree but anyway…

Thoughts on this?  I’m completely blown away Donnie actually relayed that and that it was even said (presumably per DG).   

So one or more of Dahlin, Cozens, Muel, Thompson, Power are upset that we are upset that they suck?  Lol.  Waaaaa....I have $45 million dollars and the fans are mean!  Comedy. Granato needs to go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

You jump the gun by thinking a player said the city was a dump, but extensions came up so … 

Winning.  The Bills have a very good Coach and GM, and they have a franchise player.   If the Sabres had that then this isn’t a conversation.  

The fact that booing hurts them so much that they talk about it to the coach amazes me.  They are men.  

The season after the Sabres lost the SC to Philly they had a down year.  The fans booed a little, first time in 6 seasons that the Sabres heard boos, and it was very little for a game or too.  Peter McNab said something about it to a reporter.  Imlach was pissed. He shut him up.  They had dog houses back then.  McNab was traded before the next season.   

Times change. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They did not have trouble getting guys to come here during the Hasrk days. Ownership chose not to compete. I never once heard of any reservations from Geoff Sanderson.

They absolutely did.  

Maybe I’m thinking of Gratton or Gilmour.  

But those were trades and pre NMC.  

Almost all top players have those now.  

We weren’t attracting UFAs.  Warrener, Dumont, Briere, Drury - all trades   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You jump the gun by thinking a player said the city was a dump, but extensions came up so … 

I’m stretching it a tad - what else is implied when they say (implied by DG) “we took extensions early to be here?”

I’m sensitive to its reputation.  This is why I’m of the belief the Bills must move heaven and earth to find pieces to win with Allen. 

The Sabres - same thing.  Because the city is nowhere near the top of anyone’s destination list unless it’s a guarantee you’re a serious contender or you’re getting overpaid.  

I know what it’s like to live there.  None of these teens or 20 something’s who’ve traveled all over the place have any clue about Buffalo except it snows 6 months a year.  

Even with McDavid I think this is a massive problem for a place like Edmonton to.  Getting guys to waive NMCs to go there may not be the slam dunk you’d think it is.  

Whatever.  It’s all beside the point.  Someone or several players vocally expressed disappointment “because we took extensions rather then go to market.”

I just read and hear that as “you should be thanking us for even wanting to be here.”

Adams and Pegula have an absolute mess on their hands.  It’s astonishing bc 1 year ago I said this team would compete for the whole dam thing this year.  I actually said that after 2022!

Edited by Second Line Center

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know you guys hate Boston, but contrast his comments with this:

https://firstsportz.com/nhl-news-jim-montgomery-acknowledges-fans-booing/

The difference is part of what is fundamentally wrong with this franchise. 

He’s right, the fans booed a poor effort. They pay good money to be entertained and see through a weak effort.

I hate losing, always have but I can handle it if everything was left out on the ice. Hard work buys a lot of leeway in my books and I wouldn’t be surprised that a lot of Sabres fans feel the same way.

The Sabres coming out not ready and falling behind nearly every game is on DG and the players. I like DG but this country club atmosphere has to end. KA not making any significant moves has just blown any chance to turn this season around. That started in the summer.

Hey Sabres, want to stop the boos, play harder and win a few more games. At the very least, take more games to OT, for the points and to give the fans a little more entertainment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

They absolutely did.  

Maybe I’m thinking of Gratton or Gilmour.  

But those were trades and pre NMC.  

Almost all top players have those now.  

We weren’t attracting UFAs.  Warrener, Dumont, Briere, Drury - all trades   

They weren’t trying to sign free agents. It’s why Hasek wanted out. It’s why Peca forced a trade. The Rigases were not competing for top veterans and because there was no cap there were few free agents anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They are men

It’s easier to appreciate when you understand most are post adolescents with big egos and paychecks but no clue… among a handful of young men still trying to figure out how to be men… and a few grown men weary of losing in Buffalo.

It is a sorry bunch Adams has assembled under contract…

Edited by Believer

The amount of hatred that has been directed their way and this surprises you?

I think Sabrespace feels like it has been shouting into the wind at this franchise for so long, it’s lost perspective on what it is actually putting out there right now, and that people are actually listening.

I’ve been here for the entire dark era - through far worse and more uncaring teams - and I don’t ever remember it feeling this personal. I think it’s far more of a reaction to the entire disastrous Pegula era than it is about these players, but they are paying big-time for the organization making us actually feel hope in September.

The fanbase may have turned on this franchise because of a decade of truly horrible hockey, but it turned on this particular group of players after less than 3 months of mediocrity. And, in my view, has treated them with a degree of disdain that far outstrips what their actual play and effort warrants.

What Donnie is saying is that in the past year or two, a number of players made a long-term good-faith commitment to fix this. And they did it not ‘in spite of the city being a dump” but because they believed in Kevyn Adams story of this wonderful city and fanbase and group of players who could build something special together.

But I know most of you just want to be mad and I’m the one shouting into the wind. It’s not really about the hockey on here anymore; we’ve given up on talking about that. It's just win, and ***** off until you do.

You guys may be entitled to your rage, and it’s clear you feel entitled to it, but that should not make you oblivious to its repercussions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think Sabrespace feels like it has been shouting into the wind at this franchise for so long, it’s lost perspective on what it is actually putting out there right now, and that people are actually listening.

I’ve been here for the entire dark era - through far worse and more uncaring teams - and I don’t ever remember it feeling this personal. I think it’s far more of a reaction to the entire disastrous Pegula era than it is about these players, but they are paying big-time for the organization making us actually feel hope in September.

The fanbase may have turned on this franchise because of a decade of truly horrible hockey, but it turned on this particular group of players after less than 3 months of mediocrity. And, in my view, has treated them with a degree of disdain that far outstrips what their actual play and effort warrants.

What Donnie is saying is that in the past year or two, a number of players made a long-term good-faith commitment to fix this. And they did it not ‘in spite of the city being a dump” but because they believed in Kevyn Adams story of this wonderful city and fanbase and group of players who could build something special together.

But I know most of you just want to be mad and I’m the one shouting into the wind. It’s not really about the hockey on here anymore; we’ve given up on talking about that. It's just win, and ***** off until you do.

You guys may be entitled to your rage, and it’s clear you feel entitled to it, but that should not make you oblivious to its repercussions.

This guys the PR agent for the Sabres 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yes, they signed fat extensions, and have all been dogsh*t ever since.

Cant’t imagine why anyone would boo that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Then for f's sake show it on the ice every night, every shift and work to make it happen. Don't just prance around believing your own press and expecting it to happen. 

If this was a low talent team that tried every night I'd be less critical than this overpaid punch of pampered divas. 

Sabres represent the modern culture of entitlement more than anything I can think of except maybe hollywood nepo babies. 

• Like (+1) 4

Most of these young guys has had nothing but success. They have been stars in high school, college aso. Last year was also succesful even if they never made it to playoffs. I guess they have never been told how hard it can be as a pro. Or they have refused to listen. So when being booo-ed at, and fans want the coach fired, I think it might be a chock, and it affects how they play.

But here are some important answers coming from this situation. If Kevyn Adams is a smart guy, and this will show how smart and if he is the man for the job. The situation will tell who the leaders are and are they bringing a sound and solid leadership, who can handle a tough situation and also who can sort out what is relevant in the buuuuing. Just by observing what is going on, Adams should get the recipe for what to do during Summer. And it seems he might get a busy summer.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

So you think they should present these players participation medals after every loss with the fans giving them a standing ovation as they skate off the ice?

This isn’t Peewee hockey. They signed multi million dollar, long term deals when most of them haven’t earned them yet. And they have 💩 the bed this season.

Grow up and earn your money like everyone else that has a job has to do.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

"Losing is a disease".

Wow- After reading this, I can't believe how deep this runs.  Trying to switch the narrative to the fans because you have been playing s_ _t hockey.  If I owned this team, this whole mess would go away by removing the cancer.

LOL - just had a thought, instead of booing, maybe the fans should cheer for the visiting team!  Make the sabers feel like they are on ther road so they can pretend they are not in Buffalo.  Also can pretend to be hockey players...

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

You know what hurts even more Donnie.....telling people that I'm a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. So not only are these bunch of turds spineless on the ice, they're gutless in the lockerroom as well. F'n crybabies. 

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 1

I am not a big boo-bird myself. I don't love that all 23 people in the building called out the HC specifically. 

But also I totally get it. 9-4 loss to the worst team in the league gets some jeering. It doesn't bother me much either.

Pro athletes have to have a thicker skin and a shorter memory. Of course this team can't get to the playoffs. If the team carry's the weight of some heckling after a bad game this long they'll never bounce back quick enough after losses to make the playoffs. 

"Hey that was my puck" - Dylan Cozens, probably (in Alexis Rose voice)

Happy Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Edited by Mango

If all these crybaby players are having this hard of a time with some boos can you imagine how they will feel if we actually had a hard ass coach in here like Torts, maybe even Gallant. I doubt we will ever get a top notch coach in here that would actually coach these guys hard, but boy it would be entertaining and comforting knowing these players wouldn’t be getting coddled behind the scenes anymore. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.