Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

49 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

What I find it curious by their absence is any commentary from McDermott or Brady on this matter. I believe they were integral in this whole thing. Diggs wanted out and McD didn't want him on the team any longer IMPO). I can't shake the image from a couple seasons ago of Brady and Josh on the bench during a game looking at the pad together deciphering what the opponent's defense was doing. And Diggs is standing over them flapping his gums at them. Brady must have been thinking, or saying, 'Dude, STFU and go sit down. We're working here.' Brady was the QB coach then. He's the OC now.

The org made a value judgement. And as @That Aud Smell points out that's a hell of a wallop they just took. Hence we now know what the team's value, in totality, on Diggs was.  

While McD certainly has influence on deals, player transactions are outside of his purview, so it’s really not surprising that he wouldn’t comment publicly, at this time anyway. I’m sure he, Brady, Josh and others will all make comments at some point in the future. 

I think we will come to learn that there was a ton of internal friction buildup over the course of the last year and it simply reached a boiling point because that’s the only explanation I can think of for why they would do this a year before it made any sense to do it.

I think you’re absolutely correct about the value judgement they made, too. I heard some comments from a talking head about how this offseason saw a huge locker room leadership drain with exits of Morse, Tre, Hyde, Poyer, etc, and the Bills didn’t want that void being filled with a malcontent. Given the comment from Kromer’s daughter, I think there my be something to that.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

While McD certainly has influence on deals, player transactions are outside of his purview, so it’s really not surprising that he wouldn’t comment publicly, at this time anyway. I’m sure he, Brady, Josh and others will all make comments at some point in the future. 

I think we will come to learn that there was a ton of internal friction buildup over the course of the last year and it simply reached a boiling point because that’s the only explanation I can think of for why they would do this a year before it made any sense to do it.

I think you’re absolutely correct about the value judgement they made, too. I heard some comments from a talking head about how this offseason saw a huge locker room leadership drain with exits of Morse, Tre, Hyde, Poyer, etc, and the Bills didn’t want that void being filled with a malcontent. Given the comment from Kromer’s daughter, I think there my be something to that.

7 of 8 captains are no longer on the team from what WGR was saying. Allen is the only returning captain. 

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't mind McDermott as coach, I guess I kinda like him. ...  With that said, he is a little strange with the media.

Lol - do you recall the report about him giving a hype speech about how coordinated the 9/11 terrorists were?

Dude's just sort of weird in general.

Recall the Tyler Dunne piece on this topic:

"I don’t know why he’s that awkward but his social skills are lacking,” an unnamed player told Dunne. “Maybe he’s just wound-up thinking about ball. You’ve got to talk to the team every day. That’s one where maybe he heard it on a podcast. Next episode! That’s not the one to lead with. He was trying to bring the team together. It was a horrible, horrible reference. He missed the mark.”

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

It wouldn't surprise me if allen has his best season ever next year he can now take control of his team without having a player constantly get angry about not getting targets and forcing the ball to him

Meme Reaction GIF

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

7 of 8 captains are no longer on the team from what WGR was saying. Allen is the only returning captain. 

Josh Allen Football GIF by Buffalo Bills

Phase 1 - draft a Generational talent QB after missing the playoffs for almost 2 decades 

Phase 2 - trade for a receiver and keep veterans on the team to maintain playoff success

Phase 3 - trade and cut everyone over 30 and win the Super Bowl 3 times with a young team with rookie contracts and become a dynasty 

We are in phase 3. It's coming 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Diggs steadily became irrelevant as 2023 wore on. One thing that caught my attention: Brady asked him to run bubble screens. I've never seen a WR1 less committed to a route than Diggs was to those bubbles. He fumbled on one of those plays against KC in the divisional round. So, his production declined precipitously and he wasn't a fit with what they're trying to do. That's how and why you can remove a guy like that, when they did.

I know the record for the second half of the year speaks more than my observations of how well they played. Contribution from Diggs was less and we still won at a higher rate. I fully expect Cook to become a top tier RB this season, and expect Kincaids load to increase as well.  However 100 touches and even more targets are hard to replace.  Without the "threat" of a # 1 WR, Defenses around the league will adjust and restrict our 1-2 formations.  I can see a trade that includes #28 this year + second 2025 from Minn (and more if necessary) to move up to #14-18 if the LSU WR (ranked 4th I believe) is available.  Next years # 1 could be in play b/c you could never find a WR to give you that kind of production in FA this year (or next) and the Diggs cap hit is hamstringing the team significantly in 24.  Even after the June 1st designation of White. Next year will be windfall in getting that cap hit removed, so losing a  2025 1st round player and their $3.75-$5M salary can be made up with UFA's in 2025.  Beane is the antithesis of Adams when it comes to making these type of moves. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Looks like diggs is a free agent after this year .

This trade looks really bad for Houston now

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/new-twist-to-stefon-diggs-trade-as-texans-give-him-chance-to-be-free-agent-next-year-202814251.html

Texans have him a raise and eliminated the final 3 years of his deal so he is a free agent after this coming season. Very strange. Maybe it is an out if he deteriorates more and is a headcase to boot.

• Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/new-twist-to-stefon-diggs-trade-as-texans-give-him-chance-to-be-free-agent-next-year-202814251.html

Texans have him a raise and eliminated the final 3 years of his deal so he is a free agent after this coming season. Very strange. Maybe it is an out if he deteriorates more and is a headcase to boot.

So they're wasting a 2nd  High draft  pick on a guy that will be the 4th option on the team  and a history of complaining

That's one brilliant trade

41 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So they're wasting a 2nd  High draft  pick on a guy that will be the 4th option on the team  and a history of complaining

That's one brilliant trade

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Without the "threat" of a # 1 WR, Defenses around the league will adjust and restrict our 1-2 formations.  I can see a trade that includes #28 this year + second 2025 from Minn (and more if necessary) to move up to #14-18 if the LSU WR (ranked 4th I believe) is available.  Next years # 1 could be in play b/c you could never find a WR to give you that kind of production in FA this year (or next) and the Diggs cap hit is hamstringing the team significantly in 24.  Even after the June 1st designation of White. Next year will be windfall in getting that cap hit removed, so losing a  2025 1st round player and their $3.75-$5M salary can be made up with UFA's in 2025. 

Just a great post -- this middle portion is especially incisive.

I'm quietly hoping for a boi-oi-oi-oing moment when Big Baller Beane goes all in, all in by moving this year's first, next year's first, a couple seconds (?!), and grabs one of the prized WRs in this year's draft.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Just a great post -- this middle portion is especially incisive.

I'm quietly hoping for a boi-oi-oi-oing moment when Big Baller Beane goes all in, all in by moving this year's first, next year's first, a couple seconds (?!), and grabs one of the prized WRs in this year's draft.

Is the boi-oi-oi-oing moment the same as the schwing! moment?

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So, Diggs gets the bonus money from Buffalo and his yearly salary. Buffalo takes a cap hit he goes on to Houston...gets THEM to restructure, giving him more up front money.  Then he gets a chance to sign with ANOTHER club a year later with another likely big signing bonus.  

Through all of this, Diggs is making a LOT of money.  When you figure in his signing bonus, he's got to be actaully making an average of $25 million per year or more.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

So, Diggs gets the bonus money from Buffalo and his yearly salary. Buffalo takes a cap hit he goes on to Houston...gets THEM to restructure, giving him more up front money.  Then he gets a chance to sign with ANOTHER club a year later with another likely big signing bonus.  

Through all of this, Diggs is making a LOT of money.  When you figure in his signing bonus, he's got to be actaully making an average of $25 million per year or more.

Diggs probably gathered as much money as possible because he knows he's declining

And no team is going to sign him to a mega contract when he's going to be 32 

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Diggs probably gathered as much money as possible because he knows he's declining

And no team is going to sign him to a mega contract when he's going to be 32 

Some team will throw big money at him if he has a great year. They just can’t help themselves. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah - he’s most likely not getting a big deal next offseason. He’ll be in that mercenary veteran WR mode. Akin to OBJ, maybe.

As @seltzermom speculated on Twitter: Cowboys or Chiefs will likely be on his 2025 wishlist. 

And as Ross Tucker remarked: There’s downside here for the Texans if Diggs doesn’t get the targets he needs to tee him up for his next deal.

Edited by That Aud Smell

4 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Phase 1 - draft a Generational talent QB after missing the playoffs for almost 2 decades 

Phase 2 - trade for a receiver and keep veterans on the team to maintain playoff success

Phase 3 - trade and cut everyone over 30 and win the Super Bowl 3 times with a young team with rookie contracts and become a dynasty 

We are in phase 3. It's coming 

I hope you’re right

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Buffalo takes a cap hit he goes on to Houston...gets THEM to restructure

Restructuring with Buffalo wouldn't have changed his cap hit after moving him to Houston. That hit is the amount of money Buffalo had already paid Diggs that hadn't yet been counted against their salary cap (signing bonuses which get spread throughout the length of the contract).

• Like (+1) 1

This what you guys are going to have deal with it idiots that lie .

Josh doesn’t have any toys anymore. Josh ain’t happy,” Evan said. “Josh doesn’t want to live in Buffalo anymore. Josh has a girlfriend who would rather shop on Fifth Avenue in New York City than waste time in that toilet bowl known as Buffalo.

“Call up your friend, Joe, and say ‘What up’ about Josh Allen. ‘Is he available? Because if you’re sinking this ship…we have the sixth pick in the draft. We have Daniel Jones. We’ve got other assets. We’ll help you with your rebuild, and we’ll help out Josh Allen.’”

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/giants/giants-should-call-bills-about-potential-josh-allen-trade

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

The last wide receivers that signed a huge deal at 31 and 32 is only Julio Jones and jerry rice in history.

“Huge” is a relative term to begin with, but previous contracts in history really don’t have any bearing, anyway. As I said, if Diggs lights it up in Houston some team is gonna offer him big money, regardless because, again, they just can’t help themselves. 

54 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This what you guys are going to have deal with it idiots that lie .

Josh doesn’t have any toys anymore. Josh ain’t happy,” Evan said. “Josh doesn’t want to live in Buffalo anymore. Josh has a girlfriend who would rather shop on Fifth Avenue in New York City than waste time in that toilet bowl known as Buffalo.

“Call up your friend, Joe, and say ‘What up’ about Josh Allen. ‘Is he available? Because if you’re sinking this ship…we have the sixth pick in the draft. We have Daniel Jones. We’ve got other assets. We’ll help you with your rebuild, and we’ll help out Josh Allen.’”

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/giants/giants-should-call-bills-about-potential-josh-allen-trade

Saw this all over Twitter. Guy who said it is a freaking clown. 🤡 

Imagine thinking Daniel Jones is an asset in a trade for Josh Allen... lol what a 🤡 can't believe that dude has a show anyone listens too.

Also, Allen isn't available and it's 2024, I'm sure Hailee Steinfield can use the internet or get on a plane if she feels the itch to shop in NYC or Paris or LA.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Saw this all over Twitter. Guy who said it is a freaking clown. 🤡 

Imagine thinking Daniel Jones is an asset in a trade for Josh Allen... lol what a 🤡 can't believe that dude has a show anyone listens too.

Also, Allen isn't available and it's 2024, I'm sure Hailee Steinfield can use the internet or get on a plane if she feels the itch to shop in NYC or Paris or LA.

I don't get how a Giants radio show is talking like it's a Powerhouse lol

They're one of the worst teams in the league and I will laugh when they give you malik nabers

The Bills will be in the playoffs again next season, they will be SB contenders. I was wrong about Allen, and I happily eat that crow from my mid season opinion that he doesn't have what it takes. He does, and he showed it from that week 12 record on to the kc playoff game. Guys a straight out warrior.

Like I said, more than happy to be wrong on that. As for Diggs, spoke my piece up thread. Addressing the purge of cap this off season? We all knew it was coming. They maintained a stable of high value players for 4 seasons to try and push through and get it done. They fell just short, time to revamp, reload, restructure to youth and make another go at it. I have no fears of this team falling or dipping in performance. Beane has proven he can put a contending product on the field.

Go Bills!!!