Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Clearly something was going on in the organization with him or he would still be there correct

No. Clearly they wanted to move on yes, but that wasn't because of "something going on". He is over 30 and the Bills need to get better. Diggs was traded to clear cap and get better. Probably won't be better this season but next with the lower cap and such it will be. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

No. Clearly they wanted to move on yes, but that wasn't because of "something going on". He is over 30 and the Bills need to get better. Diggs was traded to clear cap and get better. Probably won't be better this season but next with the lower cap and such it will be. 

The only thing I think of beyond his sliding production/age (and I do think that is the main issue) is, why take such a big cap hit this year (over $30 million it appears) if its just him getting older. They could just play him less, not dress him, etc rather than taking that cap hit.  I still think there might be some behind the scenes stuff going on (or maybe if they played him less they might be AFRAID he would start doing that?)

I guess you can just say this is the 'reset year'.  Its not only about the cap hit, but if he's not part of your future, and the 'present' isn't as good as many thing, just move on, do the best you can in 2024, and reset and re-load for 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The only thing I think of beyond his sliding production/age (and I do think that is the main issue) is, why take such a big cap hit this year (over $30 million it appears) if its just him getting older. They could just play him less, not dress him, etc rather than taking that cap hit.  I still think there might be some behind the scenes stuff going on (or maybe if they played him less they might be AFRAID he would start doing that?)

I guess you can just say this is the 'reset year'.  Its not only about the cap hit, but if he's not part of your future, and the 'present' isn't as good as many thing, just move on, do the best you can in 2024, and reset and re-load for 2025.

It is a reset year. It was always a reset year after what they did last year to try and win it all. You clear the decks, rebuild the offense and the defense with this draft and the next draft and you are right back at the top in 2025. Diggs was signed for 4 more years, sure it sucks this year but next year that's all gone. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His production is on the decline.  WR with his skill set typically fall off fast.  I wouldn’t be surprised is he’s the 3rd WR in Houston. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

His production is on the decline.  WR with his skill set typically fall off fast.  I wouldn’t be surprised is he’s the 3rd WR in Houston. 

Exactly.  Time for a reset.  He was not going to be here longer than this year anyways.  We get younger and faster.  In the long run it will be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Exactly.  Time for a reset.  He was not going to be here longer than this year anyways.  We get younger and faster.  In the long run it will be better. 

If you want to really stretch, Houston gets a guy on the decline, that they either overpay at what? $18m per year? Or the cut him themselves and lost the 2nd rounder they gave up for him.  Maybe not this year, but you could have weakened (slightly) an opponent in the conference for the next few years.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I was more upset about the Mitts trade, tbh.

Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

Nothing wrong with that.

Trading a guy who in his mid 20's is coming into his own, leading your team in points, that seems to be liked well by management and his teammates.  VS  Trading a 30+ year old WR that didn't much much of a difference at all the last 10 games he played, who appears to be getting to the point in his career his skill is sliding and was/is due big contract dollars the next 3-4 years.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Clearly something was going on in the organization with him or he would still be there correct

Reports filtering out that indeed there may have been "something" going on within the org. 

For a long time, they put up with the passive-aggressive comments, with the All-Pro little brother insulting them and Josh Allen, with other NFL friends proclaiming he deserved better than Buffalo. They endured Diggs’ refusal to ever push back on the chirping. When I asked him about Trevon Diggs shoveling shade last season, Stefon took offense anybody would dare question his family and altogether ignored the concept of defending the Bills. They hadn’t said anything when Stefon Diggs dragged a team employee who a hot mic had caught chiding him for being difficult to work with.

I'd take this with a grain of salt. 

Edited by LGR4GM
added context
  • Like (+1) 1

With only a 6th round pick involved in this year's draft, I do wonder why they didn't wait until after the draft to pull the trigger. Now it seems like an inevitability that they'll be going WR with their first pick. I wonder how that affects teams' drafting strategies.

28 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Tim Graham already put out a piece saying it’s more to do with Diggs than with Diggs production. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Reports filtering out that indeed there may have been "something" going on within the org. 

I'd take this with a grain of salt. 

Graham's piece and the other chatter doesn't really change my view of the matter: If Diggs were still productive at a level that could justify his contract, he'd still be here. The team would endure his eccentricities and, moreover, pay his salary provided he's producing like a WR1. Once he started to fall off and was deemed to be in decline, the team no longer felt compelled to endure his quirks and pay his significant salary.

Put another way: If Diggs were a proverbial boy scout - a boring ass dude who aped all of McDermott's platitudes - I think the same deal gets made.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Your bills are going all in for Malik Nabers

And I believe that's the right idea

as some flinty ol' guy in Maine once said: "You can't get thahh from heeyah."

I'd love to see the Bills in play for one of the top 3 prospects. But I don't see a path into the top-10 for them.

In the Allen draft, the Bills made 2 moves to get to where they needed to be (7th). they traded cordy glenn+ to get into the top 15 and then traded again to get to 7.

12 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Luckily, it's an insanely deep draft pool for WR's. 

I'm bracing myself for the Bills' plan to be to take a guy like Thomas from LSU - who reportedly is a bit raw and needs some work - and go into the season with a WR corps of Samuel, Shakir, Hollins, the rookie WR, and a WR5 who's a ST guy (Shorter/Isabella).

That might be a bit of butthole clenching time.

There'd be Kincaid and Cook as well, though.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm bracing myself for the Bills' plan to be to take a guy like Thomas from LSU - who reportedly is a bit raw and needs some work - and go into the season with a WR corps of Samuel, Shakir, Hollins, the rookie WR, and a WR5 who's a ST guy (Shorter/Isabella).

That might be a bit of butthole clenching time.

There'd be Kincaid and Cook as well, though.

Big Balls Beane usually doesn’t leave any position that vulnerable.  I’d be surprised if they don’t bring in a guy or two plus whatever the draft adds. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

What do you know? You're just a hockey guy talkin football on a hockey forum. Am I doing that right?? 😃

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I was never a fan. Such a drama queen publickly, can't imagine what kind of maintenance he required internally. That's one less distraction contributing to Allen's thousand-mile stare.

• Thanks (+1) 1