GDT: Stars @ Sabres - Tue Feb 6, 2024, 7:00 pm ET MSG, ESPN+ BSSWX 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

9 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Their record when the other team scores first is abysma still, and this was another game where it happened. 

Harrington highlighted as much in his BN column this morning…

And he called out the players and not Granato… 

No pride… No compete… No team commitment to winning…

Nothing will change without a change of leadership…

If Pegula refuses to ante up for a new GM and Coach, then KA needs a major roster reset…

Put the word out… Veteran core players and prospects are available in trades for the right pieces in return.

Shake the bottle, Adams… Your approach has failed… Time to act like a GM.

Trade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

It’s embarrassing how little this team goes to the front of the net. 
image.thumb.png.bd446e6b570fa885c13aaa45c464f8f4.png

Did the Stars really have virtually no attempts right in front?  I’m impressed if that is the case.

19 minutes ago, Believer said:

Harrington highlighted as much in his BN column this morning…

And he called out the players and not Granato… 

No pride… No compete… No team commitment to winning…

Nothing will change without a change of leadership…

If Pegula refuses to ante up for a new GM and Coach, then KA needs a major roster reset…

Put the word out… Veteran core players and prospects are available in trades for the right pieces in return.

Shake the bottle, Adams… Your approach has failed… Time to act like a GM.

Trade.

This season is now into “disaster” territory. No way we should be a bottom 5-6 team. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

Let’s say they make it.. and obviously lose in the first round.  Who would feel better about the season?

Making the playoffs?  Who wouldn’t feel better about the season?

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Did the Stars really have virtually no attempts right in front?  I’m impressed if that is the case.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but I’m pretty sure we had virtually no attempts right in front whereas they had a significant amount of their attempts in front. 

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Making the playoffs?  Who wouldn’t feel better about the season?

I’d go a step further and say if they make it then miss the next season like the Bills did post drought I wouldn’t give a *****. Just get this damn thing off our backs. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Their goalie played good positioning. There didn’t seem to be a ton of dangerous shots, people in front of the net, or bang bang plays. It’s not like he was making 6 highlight reel saves. There is a difference between just getting shots and being creative or crashing the net… the kind of plays needed to beat him. 

We never got him moving enough.  The bang bang plays require puck movement, the Stars team defense takes away cross ice passes.  

Still, their goalie was blessed last night.  

The four consecutive late minors on Buffalo hurt, two 5v3 opportunities for Dallas.  Very uneven officiating.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This season is now into “disaster” territory. No way we should be a bottom 5-6 team. 

Bad Leadership… Management, Coaches and Players…

Bad Team Chemistry… … Management, Coaches, and Players… No commitment to WINNING .

Country Club membership… Too many High handicappers with big contracts, pretty swings and smooth talk… but no determination… 

Truly pathetic we will miss the playoffs again this year… 13th consecutive year… with a roster and pipeline full of former first round draft picks.

Pathetic.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

So I have been lurking on this board for years, I believe this is my first post.

After leaving Buffalo 40 years ago as a child, I only have over the last 3 years picked up watching the Sabres again.  So, I do not have the long lasting scars and wounds that most of this board has.  It is understandable the levels of frustration and emotion that have built up over that time.

But, I came away from last nights game with a very different perspective that I wanted to share from someone who does not have the same fatigue as most here do.

The Dallas Stars look like the team the Sabres are trying to become.  They are not the uber physical, in your face brute force team that many on here clamor for the Sabres to become.  But a fast team that is fundamentally sound with skill players.  It is good to see that they are as successful as they are, as I see the Sabres being like that team in a couple of years.

This team is still very very young, probably younger yet next year and it looks like maybe* we have found a #1 goalie.

With regard to the outcome last night, I love to see the fight from UPL and Dahlin and we had 47 shots on net.  We probably win 2/3 with that performance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but I’m pretty sure we had virtually no attempts right in front whereas they had a significant amount of their attempts in front. 

Then I don’t understand that graphic at all.  If the colors on the left indicate higher density, then your observation would be corroborated, but generally, colder colors indicate lower density.

WTF happened to adding legends to charts, anyway?

The Sabres outplayed Dallas. On offense, we were dominating the play. The difference in this game was the opposition's goalie. Our goalie was very good while their goalie was exceptional. We had our opportunities but missed on our shots. 

My major complaint with this team and its makeup is that it is not able to have enough net presence on the offense. Dallas didn't have the quantity of chances but because of their presence around the net it resulted in at least one score. 

I thought Cozens is starting to regain his game. Dahlin was superb but missed on his shots. Overall, I thought the Sabres played well. We lost to a quality opponent that required exceptional netminding to beat us. The loss was frustrating but that's hockey. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

Then I don’t understand that graphic at all.  If the colors on the left indicate higher density, then your observation would be corroborated, but generally, colder colors indicate lower density.

WTF happened to adding legends to charts, anyway?

The legend is in the bottom corner for each team. They use different colors for each team as well. I don’t love it either. 

• Like (+1) 1

No team loses more home games in regulation than the Sabres in the Pegula era.  Sell the team Terry!

Such a bummer that on Feb. 7th the Sabres are basically playing exhibition games till the end of the season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The legend is in the bottom corner for each team. They use different colors for each team as well. I don’t love it either. 

It was not obvious to me that blue on the left is max density and red on the right is max density.  Maybe my brain cramped over one side being left justified and the other being right justified.

Not discounting the possibility that it is only difficult for me.  Lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, _Q_ said:

So I have been lurking on this board for years, I believe this is my first post.

After leaving Buffalo 40 years ago as a child, I only have over the last 3 years picked up watching the Sabres again.  So, I do not have the long lasting scars and wounds that most of this board has.  It is understandable the levels of frustration and emotion that have built up over that time.

But, I came away from last nights game with a very different perspective that I wanted to share from someone who does not have the same fatigue as most here do.

The Dallas Stars look like the team the Sabres are trying to become.  They are not the uber physical, in your face brute force team that many on here clamor for the Sabres to become.  But a fast team that is fundamentally sound with skill players.  It is good to see that they are as successful as they are, as I see the Sabres being like that team in a couple of years.

This team is still very very young, probably younger yet next year and it looks like maybe* we have found a #1 goalie.

With regard to the outcome last night, I love to see the fight from UPL and Dahlin and we had 47 shots on net.  We probably win 2/3 with that performance.

Good first post and yes, the frustration level is high.    Several long standing members here have just recently stopped posting.  

13 years in unfathomable. 

They played good, but not good enough.  They have more to give.   

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

It was not obvious to me that blue on the left is max density and red on the right is max density.  Maybe my brain cramped over one side being left justified and the other being right justified.

Not discounting the possibility that it is only difficult for me.  Lol

The chart sucks. Most of these analytics charts suck.  They all have their own legend usually cryptically in some way shape or form.  It should be waaaay easier to decipher what is happening with a quick glance, instead I’m scrambling trying to make any sense of them.  It’s probably the analytics community keeping that last gate closed as to feel superior or justify their jobs.  

/probably

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Good first post and yes, the frustration level is high.    Several long standing members here have just recently stopped posting.  

13 years in unfathomable. 

They played good, but not good enough.  They have more to give.   

“And maybe even younger next year”

homer simpson crying GIF

Edited by Thorny
Definition of insanity
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The culture of losing. No reason to be negative, the fierce warrior Ras says. DOMINATED THE STARS raves the Olean Times Herald. We shoulda won, says SabreSpace.

I don't get it. If the Bills get in the red zone eight times and come away with one touchdown and lose by two points, no one on the Bills and no one in Bills organized crime is happy. Allen would light himself on fire in the mud lot. The opposing D would not be praised. We wouldn't have gotten "goal lined."

Kudos to Channel 4 of all places.

SABRES FIND NEW WAY TO LOSE

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Was at the game. Most uninspiring 47 shot performance I have ever seen. Oettinger was barely tested. Most shots were in the Stars crest on jersey, no traffic in front, no scrambles.  Stupid players continue to take stupid penalties.  Team looks lackadaisical and disinterested.  Joker and Clifton need to be replaced. Power should be in suit up in suites.  Dahlin maybe the most overrated player in Sabres history.  Been a fan for 40 years think I'm done with this team until they bring in a legitimate front office and coach. They are just as big a laughingstock as Arizona

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.