NHL trade deadline 2024: Should Sabres, Kevyn Adams buy, sell or hold?

On 2/2/2024 at 1:29 PM, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Every player should be on the table for trading there are no untouchable Buffalo Sabres players. As a Sabres fan I would be proud if the Sabres traded Tage Thompson and Alex Tuch for starters. And to really shock Sabres fans that players are going to be held accountable. I would trade both Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power for veteran players enough with the immature kids that have no accountability for their teams terrible performances night after night. I am not talking tanking. I am talking packages getting good quality NHL veteran players that are proven in the NHL in return. I don’t care about age. I want John Tavares from the Toronto Maple Leafs badly for starters and he is your new Sabres captain. I build the Sabres like the George Allen 1970’s Washington Redskins over the hill gang that went to the Super Bowl losing to the Miami Dolphins to win now. I don’t care about potential this Sabres organization needs to make the playoffs next year or there may not be any Buffalo Sabres in Buffalo in the future? This not making the playoffs yearly can’t go on. I trade with the Detroit Red Wings for Patrick Kane now but only if Kane agrees to a contract extension beyond this season. We need proven players that can get Buffalo fans to go to games again. I trade for a veteran goalie and much older smarter defenseman that have a clue not to turn the puck over. I want the Buffalo Sabres 30 years old plus no one younger than 25 years old. No more kids college and AHL development. The NHL is a man’s league not for teenagers that don’t have a clue what personal responsibility is all about when you sign a NHL contract. I would rather lose with Tavares and Kane atleast I know they have some personal professional pride. That is what I would do along with firing Don Granato and if Kevyn Adams doesn’t want to go along with the new direction of the Sabres organization fire him as well. I want a proven experienced NHL coach no more college and minor league coaches learning on the job in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

So you want to get OLD and maybe if you start winning have to redo your Roster old again, Draft and Sell

Seriously, read what you write out loud

Problem may be that the Amerks are not grooming up winning NHLer's

You don't sell Power's at 20 that you got 1st Overall for losing

If you sell Dahlin, it is to obtain one hell of a Package you can't refuse and give Dahlin a career before it is too late for him.

If you sell Tage, Skinner or Tuch, who will ever want to come here again.

Because we keep losing,

The guys you sell to get better are Prospects and maybe players like Quinn, Samuelson, Cozens, Middlestat, UPL but you better get guys that do make you better, tougher! Guys that get hurt a lot need to move on for both sides, just not working here! Cozens or Middlestat has to go, both 2nd liners, both inconsistent.

Sabres need to make a TOP 6 trade and move someone on. Need to rebuild 4th line to be a TRUE checking line. 3rd Line should be grooming young players to be TOP 6.

Our defense is doing better. Replace Samuelson, Joki and get another Top 4 defense man. You have Dahlin, Power and Ryan Johnson now to grow. Good Veteran 26-28 would fit well that stays home.

My Young Untouchables are Power, Peterka, Ryan Johnson, Levi. They are NOT Tradable. Have to set your Franchise with someone.

1st Line players are Untouchable without a Package you can't say NO

Dahlin too is Untouchable for now unless a Package comes in you can't say NO. (worried about 6 years of losing though)

Everything else is an ASSET to STOP this 13 years of Losing and No Playoffs

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Adams, I am sticking with my plan of developing my draft picks internally.

YOU MUST COMPLY

Unfortunately, Adams will say

Remember Murray

Different situation.  TM made his trades before the young core was in place and he traded away guys like Compter who would have been a core piece to do it.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Different situation.  TM made his trades before the young core was in place and he traded away guys like Compter who would have been a core piece to do it.  

I didn't say it was the same. But Murray traded everything away and got some good players, May have been the wrong coach but it didn't work out and we got CAP Strapped. Next GM sold everything and got some of the players we have now. Lot of the players who moved on have won Stanley Cups.

Brings us to Adams, he is NOT bending from the Draft and Develop. So Next year we are looking at heading to 14 years with No Playoffs. Nothing in Rochester that will change that Next Year! Maybe the 1st line gets back to 2022 production. That will help the 2nd line as Constructed if Healthy. Gonna sign Middlestat or bring up Krebs to Center 3rd line. 4th Line?

Lot of IFS there. All goes well maybe 2022 Projection happens but that isn't sustained growth to get to the CUP. There are players on this TEAM not tough enough for that.

Top Trades have to  happen and Adams is Foolish to think he doesn't need to do them. Signed Two guys to $7mil Contracts who aren't producing consistently or getting hurt. Good Assets with good contracts that someone should like.

Sabres need WINNERS now! not 2-3 years from now.

1 hour ago, freester said:

What would it cost to acquire Jiricek RD. It’s possible he could get moved. Columbus has turned into a shitshow. 

Doesn't seem possible based on CBJ's needs being very similar to our own. Plus I have zero interest in trading them Power or Cozens for him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, freester said:

What would it cost to acquire Jiricek RD. It’s possible he could get moved. Columbus has turned into a shitshow. 

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Doesn't seem possible based on CBJ's needs being very similar to our own. Plus I have zero interest in trading them Power or Cozens for him.

Personally would offer Savoie and the Sabres '24 1st (w/ Lottery Winning protection).

5 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

You really think they would ask for that much?  He’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be there.  

According to fans of CBJ, an offer from Buffalo "starts with Power and Cozens."

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

You really think they would ask for that much?  He’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be there.  

They chose him a few picks before Savoie so they'd presumably want quite a bit more than just him.  

Just because Jiricek doesn't want to be in Columbus doesn't make the Sabres the only suitor for his services.  (Presuming the Sabres would be interested and IMHO they should be interested.  He's going to be a heck of a player.)  They'd have to make an offer better than any other team that might want him would make.  And, because there would be more than one or 2 teams interested in him, his wanting out of C-bus is pretty much immaterial, again IMHO, to what he'd bring back in a trade.

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

According to fans of CBJ, an offer from Buffalo "starts with Power and Cozens."

And according to fans, if the Sabres wanted Lafreniere it would've taken Eichel plus.  Fans can be, and often are, delusional.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They chose him a few picks before Savoie so they'd presumably want quite a bit more than just him.  

Just because Jiricek doesn't want to be in Columbus doesn't make the Sabres the only suitor for his services.  (Presuming the Sabres would be interested and IMHO they should be interested.  He's going to be a heck of a player.)  They'd have to make an offer better than any other team that might want him would make.  And, because there would be more than one or 2 teams interested in him, his wanting out of C-bus is pretty much immaterial, again IMHO, to what he'd bring back in a trade.

And according to fans, if the Sabres wanted Lafreniere it would've taken Eichel plus.  Fans can be, and often are, delusional.

How about Savoie, Rosen and this year's first for Jiricek? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How about Savoie, Rosen and this year's first for Jiricek? 

Would prefer to get away with just 2 pieces given up for him.  And 2 1st equivalents is quite a bit to give up for a guy that is still a high end prospect. 

But have only minimal pause before making that deal.  (Sabres would likely get a B prospect or a 3rd or 4th rounder too; but yeah, really expect Jiricek to be something special and he's cement the D-corp for a long time.  Dahlin, Jiricek, Power, Johnson, Samuelsson, & whomever else (Jokiharju, Clifton, Novikov in a couple of years) is a seriously solid D-corp a couple of years from now.  And would be pretty good next season too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:20 AM, Buffalonill said:

Adams has not made one impact trade since he's been here.

I hope he's gone in the summer 

On top of that I don’t like his roster construction. I don’t trust him to do anything.

I hope we sit tight and get a real hockey Gm or POHO in here before we start moving pieces that could actually be valuable. 

That said we’ll trade Mitts for 8 5’9 centers in the ECHL with great hands. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would prefer to get away with just 2 pieces given up for him.  And 2 1st equivalents is quite a bit to give up for a guy that is still a high end prospect. 

But have only minimal pause before making that deal.  (Sabres would likely get a B prospect or a 3rd or 4th rounder too; but yeah, really expect Jiricek to be something special and he's cement the D-corp for a long time.  Dahlin, Jiricek, Power, Johnson, Samuelsson, & whomever else (Jokiharju, Clifton, Novikov in a couple of years) is a seriously solid D-corp a couple of years from now.  And would be pretty good next season too.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that the average age of the defensive corps of the teams currently in playoff positions is ~29-30.  It’s consistent.   Without EJ, the Sabres average age is 23.9. By dumping Joki (not Clifton), and picking up Jiricek the average age would drop a few tenths of a year.  With another young defense, we are just begging for similar results.  And if by chance, after two years, Jiricek explodes, his second contract could be $5M, and with R Johnson on a $2.5-3.5M bridge deal, you have $32M tied up in 5 defenders forcing decisions up front. I’d prefer they target a true complimentary #2 defender.  Must be right handed, must be between 26-30 with 6 + years experience. But this type of contract would put you north of $30M on the blue line with your top 5, while the average team is spending $26M on the top 6 Dman. I’d prefer to move a LD but Owen and Muel both have lost trade value.  

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

I wouldn't be as hesitant to give up the extra asset for the defenseman who is a high-end prospect who is a defenseman. The Sabres have a number of quality prospects who play similar positions and roles. It's more than likely that some of them won't be able to crack the NHL roster. If you have an asset that most likely can't be used, then why not use it as a chip in a deal that will in the not-too-distant future help to create an impressive blue line. The issue isn't so much whether we would want Jiricek, because we would. The issue is can we make the offer enticing enough if he is marketed to beat the other appealing offers that would be made. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I wouldn't be as hesitant to give up the extra asset for the defenseman who is a high-end prospect who is a defenseman. The Sabres have a number of quality prospects who play similar positions and roles. It's more than likely that some of them won't be able to crack the NHL roster. If you have an asset that most likely can't be used, then why not use it as a chip in a deal that will in the not-too-distant future help to create an impressive blue line. The issue isn't so much whether we would want Jiricek, because we would. The issue is can we make the offer enticing enough if he is marketed to beat the other appealing offers that would be made. 

This guy is a head case right now.  He is 20 and complaining about playing in the AHL.  Who does he think he is? 

Why do we need another 20 year old defenseman right now?    Especially an entitled one?   We already have Dahlin, Power and Muel all getting paid, plus R Johnson is coming along.   Trading for Jiricek is going to mean spending and inordinate amount of $$ on another young defender someday.  

If we want to win more games then we really need a solid veteran in his prime, 28-30 years old, shoots from RH, and is a big, mean, stay at home type of  defenseman.    We should trade a prospect and pick for that.  We need someone to stabilize things on the backline right now.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

This guy is a head case right now.  He is 20 and complaining about playing in the AHL.  Who does he think he is? 

Why do we need another 20 year old defenseman right now?    Especially an entitled one?   We already have Dahlin, Power and Muel all getting paid, plus R Johnson is coming along.   Trading for Jiricek is going to mean spending and inordinate amount of $$ on another young defender someday.  

If we want to win more games then we really need a solid veteran in his prime, 28-30 years old, shoots from RH, and is a big, mean, stay at home type of  defenseman.    We should trade a prospect and pick for that.  We need someone to stabilize things on the backline right now.   

Forgive my lack of hockey knowledge, but is there a player out there like that who is possibly available?

Tanev maybe? 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Why do you say that he is a head case? He's a young guy who sees some of his draft compatriots in the big league while he is not. Are you surprised that a young guy is impatient or a has an attitude of entitlement?  I'm not. Welcome into the world of young pro athletes. Right now, our prospect pipeline has an excessive number of smallish forwards, some of which won't get an opportunity to play with the big club. Acquiring a player such as this high-end defensive prospect would better balance out our prospect pool. 

I'm not precluding any other deals to improve this roster. Last offseason, the GM acquired Clfiton from the free agent market for a reasonable contract. So, there are a number of ways to bring in plays. My primary point in a previous post is that when you have assets, some of which won't be used, then parlay them into a more useful asset. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

@Pimlach boos you and me for our similar responses. This is what happens when there is an over population of curmudgeons in one location. Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Allen said:

Forgive my lack of hockey knowledge, but is there a player out there like that who is possibly available?

Tanev maybe? 

The trade deadline is approaching.  You will see teams trading soon as they get ready for playoffs, other teams that are out of it will be selling to clear out players they won't keep next year.  

Tanev's name comes up, so do others.  It is Kevyn Adams job to improve the team. 

We can wait years and years for the young players to mature, but by then the current core players that are already mature will be gone or will be burned out.  

Defenseman take longer which is why I want to add a vet in his prime to the young guys we have. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Why do you say that he is a head case? He's a young guy who sees some of his draft compatriots in the big league while he is not. Are you surprised that a young guy is impatient or a has an attitude of entitlement?  I'm not. Welcome into the world of young pro athletes. Right now, our prospect pipeline has an excessive number of smallish forwards, some of which won't get an opportunity to play with the big club. Acquiring a player such as this high-end defensive prospect would better balance out our prospect pool. 

I'm not precluding any other deals to improve this roster. Last offseason, the GM acquired Clfiton from the free agent market for a reasonable contract. So, there are a number of ways to bring in plays. My primary point in a previous post is that when you have assets, some of which won't be used, then parlay them into a more useful asset. 

Yes, his attitude of entitlement surprises me and I don't care for it.  

If I am trading prospects or picks then I want an proven NHL player in his prime that fills a desperate need, not another prospect.  

Adams did ok with Clifton but Clifton is a 3rd pair defender.   This teams needs to stop collecting 3rd pair defenders (Lybushkin, Stillman, Clague, Erik Johnson, and Bryson) and aim much, much higher.  

Edited by Pimlach

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

@Pimlach boos you and me for our similar responses. This is what happens when there is an over population of curmudgeons in one location. Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I don't boo @Taro T.   Your response was actually much worse than Taro's, you want to give three  #1 pieces for another 20 year old prospect that cannot crack Columbus line up and cannot appreciate that they are helping him by playing him in the AHL right now.   Look at Owen Power struggle.  Remember when Dahlin struggled in the same way?  Do we need to bring in another guy that is over his head?  I WANT TO WIN HOCKEY GAMES RIGHT NOW! 

I absolutely disagree with trading our prospects and picks for more prospects. 

IF ANYONE ELSE GIVES A DAMM ABOUT THE FAN BASE AND THE CURRENT CORE TEAM THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND.   WHEN ARE WE EVER GOING TO TRY TO IMPROVE?  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 2