If the devil's fire Ruff

Buffalonill

Bring Ruff back if fired   

67 members have voted

1. 1. Bring Ruff back if fired

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

sorry, no idea what this means.

The word "since" triggered the song. I'm not sure why my brain works like that. My parents had all kinds of tests done. But I defeated them.

Do you really not think we're stuck in Folsom Prison?

• Agree 1

On 1/27/2024 at 12:46 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

I would definitely not want him back, he has only made the playoffs 3 times in 7 seasons after leaving the Sabres and has not advanced passed the 2nd round. No thank you!

Not about making a cup run. It’s about bringing in a guy who can hold players accountable and set a standard.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The word "since" triggered the song. I'm not sure why my brain works like that. My parents had all kinds of tests done. But I defeated them.

Do you really not think we're stuck in Folsom Prison?

I get you.  Good song too.  Great live LP.  

• Agree 1

I don’t get the fascination with Sabres going compete off the grid with hiring decision makers. All these failed draft picks, failed free agents, and constant losing meanwhile our players leave Buffalo and have big success elsewhere. 

The only constant is we keep trying to be the smartest guy in the room when it comes to hiring GMs and head coaches. 

Post-Regier- Murray who wasn’t best available option but LaFontaine wanted a lesser guy so he can be THE GUY, Botterill, which I don’t think we ever did a search, he jumped up our list bc he was recommended to the Pegulas by the Pens ownership and then Adams who is basically a Russ Brandon with a playing career. 

Post-Ruff- Ron Rolston, after coaching Amerks and Sabres he went into scouting. Now he’s an assistant coach at Providence university. Bylsma was the most credible guy they ever hired, but looks like he was a fraud who banked on the success of Crosby and Malkin. After Pens he took the year off and then after 2 in Buffalo he’s been unemployed since which is very telling, then they tried Phil Housley who was a assistant with no head coaching experience besides high school and then the Sabres went for a dude mostly invested in european soccer and then Don Granato. Who’s been the best we’ve had yet but we still have a long ways to go. 

We never really have given us a fair chance to fight. While Ruff is more of the cloth I’m saying we need to go out and get, I just think there’s better people out there. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I don’t get the fascination with Sabres going compete off the grid with hiring decision makers. All these failed draft picks, failed free agents, and constant losing meanwhile our players leave Buffalo and have big success elsewhere. 

The only constant is we keep trying to be the smartest guy in the room when it comes to hiring GMs and head coaches. 

Post-Regier- Murray who wasn’t best available option but LaFontaine wanted a lesser guy so he can be THE GUY, Botterill, which I don’t think we ever did a search, he jumped up our list bc he was recommended to the Pegulas by the Pens ownership and then Adams who is basically a Russ Brandon with a playing career. 

Post-Ruff- Ron Rolston, after coaching Amerks and Sabres he went into scouting. Now he’s an assistant coach at Providence university. Bylsma was the most credible guy they ever hired, but looks like he was a fraud who banked on the success of Crosby and Malkin. After Pens he took the year off and then after 2 in Buffalo he’s been unemployed since which is very telling, then they tried Phil Housley who was a assistant with no head coaching experience besides high school and then the Sabres went for a dude mostly invested in european soccer and then Don Granato. Who’s been the best we’ve had yet but we still have a long ways to go. 

We never really have given us a fair chance to fight. While Ruff is more of the cloth I’m saying we need to go out and get, I just think there’s better people out there. 

Long standing Pegula problem for sure and yet their rhetoric was something about how they got bad advice from hockey people if I remember correctly. 

Initially, remember they were going big time for Babcock. That was a hockey guy (pre his issues that came to light) and they got stung by him using us as leverage. So they went for another presumably qualified guy in Bylsma. Now I don't actually think he was a "fraud". Coachella's in first place in the Pacific AHL. Bylsma had little skill on the roster so he tried to follow a shut down model. imo he's still the best of a sorry lot in the Pegula era, even if his hockey was dull to watch. The logic of Housley was based on "it's a new NHL, new game, we need new young minds not dinosaurs". So in essence it was a flip from the previous failure but it was a dumb idea. Kreuger was mind boggling. All I can think of in terms of the logic is they felt they had the talent, but what Jack and others really needed was a personal motivator which is what he was supposed to be. Clearly he was more of a fake hype man and clearly had no clue. Maybe the dumbest coaching hire ever. Now Granato was a cheap easy hire. maybe they quietly tried for others who said no, we don't know that and likely never will, but the new logic was young team we need a teacher to talk softly and teach nicely. Massage those fragile young egos into success. 

I can see the logic in each hire, but what it lacks is consistency and a clear vision. We keep changing the approach and it shows the man at the top has no idea but won't turn it over to a hockey guy to hire experienced hockey guys. Granato imo would make a fine assistant. A good cop to soothe the fragile youngsters but the head coach has to be able to play bad cop and whip them into shape. We need a guy with authority, even if it's partly through fear.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why would we bring in a guy who can’t win us a cup? Makes no sense.

Because this team is far away from winning a cup. They need someone to create an environment of realistic expectations and hold them to what it takes to achieve those expectations.

Going from the DG era to cup contender will take time and the right coach. Then they will be physically and mentally prepared for a run. 

42 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Now I don't actually think he was a "fraud". Coachella's in first place in the Pacific AHL. Bylsma had little skill on the roster so he tried to follow a shut down model. imo he's still the best of a sorry lot in the Pegula era, even if his hockey was dull to watch.

I didn’t realize Bylsma was coaching in the AHL. 

The hirings do make some sense like you said but they never changed how they do it, they only go after the hidden gem, the hiring out of left field, Essp at upper management. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can see the logic in each hire, but what it lacks is consistency and a clear vision. We keep changing the approach and it shows the man at the top has no idea but won't turn it over to a hockey guy to hire experienced hockey guys. Granato imo would make a fine assistant. A good cop to soothe the fragile youngsters but the head coach has to be able to play bad cop and whip them into shape. We need a guy with authority, even if it's partly through fear.  

Many teams go back and forth between taskmasters and player’s coaches once they tire of one type.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think we tanked twice to draft him.

Well you inadvertently stumbled onto the real issue.  It’s the players, it’s the players, it’s the players.  I don’t care who you get to tell them what to do, the horses need to run.  Scotty Bowman, Lindy Ruff and Al Arbour could be on a staff and still not win.  It’s never as simple as “hey this guy has won cups, he’s definitely going to show our jackass players how to do this”.   

It’s way more organic, right place right time kinda thing.  If there was a formula, such as drafting players first overall 🤮, trading picks and prospects for players 🤮🤮, or signing the best UFAs 🤮🤮🤮, every team would do it.  There just is no set way to achieve your goal. 

I have no idea if our current set up is ever going to get there.  It’ll likely take some changes.  It almost always does.  Let’s just hope they get it figure it out before I’m dead.  (Not placing any bets on that)

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Two or less said:

The hirings do make some sense like you said but they never changed how they do it, they only go after the hidden gem, the hiring out of left field, Essp at upper management. 

I think this is Pegula. The coaches in question all come cheap and are not powerful or steadfast in their own right. They will say yes to him. Guys like Torts or Trotts will do things their way or not at all. 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Many teams go back and forth between taskmasters and player’s coaches once they tire of one type.

Good teams go back and forth? I don't think so. Not back and forth often. Bad teams sure. Part of the problem. 

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

Well you inadvertently stumbled onto the real issue.  It’s the players, it’s the players, it’s the players.  I don’t care who you get to tell them what to do, the horses need to run.  Scotty Bowman, Lindy Ruff and Al Arbour could be on a staff and still not win.  It’s never as simple as “hey this guy has won cups, he’s definitely going to show our jackass players how to do this”.   

It’s way more organic, right place right time kinda thing.  If there was a formula, such as drafting players first overall 🤮, trading picks and prospects for players 🤮🤮, or signing the best UFAs 🤮🤮🤮, every team would do it.  There just is no set way to achieve your goal. 

I have no idea if our current set up is ever going to get there.  It’ll likely take some changes.  It almost always does.  Let’s just hope they get it figure it out before I’m dead.  (Not placing any bets on that)

Why can’t you Just let me be a smartass?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Because this team is far away from winning a cup. They need someone to create an environment of realistic expectations and hold them to what it takes to achieve those expectations.

Going from the DG era to cup contender will take time and the right coach. Then they will be physically and mentally prepared for a run. 

The thought before this season was playoffs and then who knows, maybe a proven HC who has been to a Stanley cup can and should be able to get the same enviornment you seek but with a bigger picture. I guess we could go back and fourth, if you think Ruff is good enoughI'm cool with that but I want better than him, that's just my opinion.

So this is the Sabres version of the Bills 17 year drought. If we compare, we are 12 years in so this is the 2012 version of the bills. Who did they have, Ryan Fitzpatrick as QB? I wonder if Bills fans then ever though of bringing back Marv or Wade Philips lol 

Edited by OverPowerYou

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.