If the devil's fire Ruff

Buffalonill

Bring Ruff back if fired   

67 members have voted

1. 1. Bring Ruff back if fired

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good teams go back and forth? I don't think so. Not back and forth often. Bad teams sure. Part of the problem. 

Well, good teams often keep their coaches a long time but everyone seems to wear out their welcome at some point.

The example that pops into my head are the Red Wings. They won Cups under taskmaster Bowman. He gets replaced by player’s coach Dave Lewis, who inherits a good team but fails to win. Taskmaster Babcock brings them back to their winning ways.

Maybe poor teams do this more. A guy like Torts gets a lot out of his players but they get worn out by his methods. GMs then try to smooth things out by bringing in a “good guy”.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Well, good teams often keep their coaches a long time but everyone seems to wear out their welcome at some point.

The example that pops into my head are the Red Wings. They won Cups under taskmaster Bowman. He gets replaced by player’s coach Dave Lewis, who inherits a good team but fails to win. Taskmaster Babcock brings them back to their winning ways.

Maybe poor teams do this more. A guy like Torts gets a lot out of his players but they get worn out by his methods. GMs then try to smooth things out by bringing in a “good guy”.

A lot obviously depends on the GM too. Long running veteran GMs likely don't feel as fragile as some of the younger shorter term ones. Look at the Islanders for example. It always comes down to is it the players or is it the coach though and it's always easier to blame/change the coach. GMs on the other hand get 3, 4 maybe 5 years before they get turfed (usually).

15 hours ago, inkman said:

Well you inadvertently stumbled onto the real issue.  It’s the players, it’s the players, it’s the players.  I don’t care who you get to tell them what to do, the horses need to run.  Scotty Bowman, Lindy Ruff and Al Arbour could be on a staff and still not win.  It’s never as simple as “hey this guy has won cups, he’s definitely going to show our jackass players how to do this”.   

It’s way more organic, right place right time kinda thing.  If there was a formula, such as drafting players first overall 🤮, trading picks and prospects for players 🤮🤮, or signing the best UFAs 🤮🤮🤮, every team would do it.  There just is no set way to achieve your goal. 

I have no idea if our current set up is ever going to get there.  It’ll likely take some changes.  It almost always does.  Let’s just hope they get it figure it out before I’m dead.  (Not placing any bets on that)

The Temptations had it figured out in 1970.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.