Thank you, UPL

PASabreFan

For giving us a glimmer of hope in this winter of our discontent. If he's a reliable starter, and that clearly remains to be seen, it's a game changer. Still think the Sabres would need a veteran backup next season while Levi percolates in Roch. Because if UPL is all that and the big playoff push is actually next season, Levi wouldn't be seeing much of the crease.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For giving us a glimmer of hope in this winter of our discontent. If he's a reliable starter, and that clearly remains to be seen, it's a game changer. Still think the Sabres would need a veteran backup next season while Levi percolates in Roch. Because if UPL is all that and the big playoff push is actually next season, Levi wouldn't be seeing much of the crease.

It’s also a really good point. The better UPL performs, doesn’t that nearly necessitate KA finally making the goaltending move he’s been reluctant to make?

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

percolating

(of a liquid or gas) filter gradually through a porous surface or substance.

"the water percolating through the soil may leach out minerals"

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And they say you don’t have any positives in you.

Mixed Martial Arts Middle Finger GIF by UFC

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

percolating

(of a liquid or gas) filter gradually through a porous surface or substance.

"the water percolating through the soil may leach out minerals"

You forget that we are old. We remember the days of big 40 cup coffee percolators that you filled with water and the grounds were up top. The water would bubble up over and over (and you would see it gurgling through the clear lid handle) eventually becoming strong coffee.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm hopeful, but I need more convincing.

This year, his basic stats are now middle-of-the-pack for both GAA and save percentages (15th and 17th), out of 36 goalies who have 20 or more appearances.  Put that into the context that he has been playing much better lately, AND he is playing behind an 'average at best' D-men group and "really really bad" group of forwards in their own end....and it can be argued he is a top 10 goalie in the league so far (closer to 10 than the top, but 'top 10' sounds better).   Lets see it continue.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’s also a really good point. The better UPL performs, doesn’t that nearly necessitate KA finally making the goaltending move he’s been reluctant to make?

No. I think these are our goalies for the next few years, with the expectation they develop into a competent Ullmark/Swayman type tandem. I think 6K gets there next year and Levi the year after. I also believe that by then Benson, JJ and Quinn will develop into first line level talents, and Kulich, Rosen, Savoie and Östlund develop into competent middle six forwards. That's seven kids with top six potential added to Tage, Tuch, Cozens, Mitts and Skinner. When KA hit the reset button and sold off Eichel, Reinhardt and Risto for futures I believe his timeline for competing was when those five first round picks from the 21 & 22 draft matured. When the analytics department was beefed up everyone gushed about how great it was. These are the draft picks they were involved in, if they are as good at thier job as everyone claimed when they were hired then we should have reason to be excited as the kids approach being NHL ready. I know I am!

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Hank said:

No. I think these are our goalies for the next few years, with the expectation they develop into a competent Ullmark/Swayman type tandem. I think 6K gets there next year and Levi the year after. I also believe that by then Benson, JJ and Quinn will develop into first line level talents, and Kulich, Rosen, Savoie and Östlund develop into competent middle six forwards. That's seven kids with top six potential added to Tage, Tuch, Cozens, Mitts and Skinner. When KA hit the reset button and sold off Eichel, Reinhardt and Risto for futures I believe his timeline for competing was when those five first round picks from the 21 & 22 draft matured. When the analytics department was beefed up everyone gushed about how great it was. These are the draft picks they were involved in, if they are as good at thier job as everyone claimed when they were hired then we should have reason to be excited as the kids approach being NHL ready. I know I am!

👍

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

You forget that we are old. We remember the days of big 40 cup coffee percolators that you filled with water and the grounds were up top. The water would bubble up over and over (and you would see it gurgling through the clear lid handle) eventually becoming strong coffee.

I read somewhere that percolators are having a bit of a renaissance. I wouldn't know, coffee just makes my body hate me.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

I read somewhere that percolators are having a bit of a renaissance. I wouldn't know, coffee just makes my body hate me.

They make the best coffee,… hands down.

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

But wouldn't that mean that Levi is getting weaker as he percolates? The water running over him draining him of his strength? 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

But wouldn't that mean that Levi is getting weaker as he percolates? The water running over him draining him of his strength? 

Nah, man.  The performance will percolate out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I want to buy in, but we've seen these macro-runs before from Upie, then he turns back into a pumpkin for a while. Overall, he's definitely been a good bit better in total so far this season. If he could turn into a steady .910 guy, it would be huge.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Yep.  Unless something really astounding happens (like Nashville deciding they don't want Saros any more for some completely non-apparent reason), these are the goalies for at least the next 2 seasons.

Expecting at least 9 if not 10 or 11 of the forwards next year are on this roster right now, too.  And 5, if not all 6 of next year's D are here too.  Kulich and 3 or so guys not currently in the system will be the only newcomers.  (Hoping that continuity doesn't carry through to the entire coaching staff too.  Some major upgrades should be made there.)

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Unless something really astounding happens (like Nashville deciding they don't want Saros any more for some completely non-apparent reason), these are the goalies for at least the next 2 seasons.

Expecting at least 9 if not 10 or 11 of the forwards next year are on this roster right now, too.  And 5, if not all 6 of next year's D are here too.  Kulich and 3 or so guys not currently in the system will be the only newcomers.  (Hoping that continuity doesn't carry through to the entire coaching staff too.  Some major upgrades should be made there.)

So it’s just a run back again, we are pretty much locked in to what we have and what happens happens 

We don’t need to approach the offseason any differently even though doing it that way leading into this season resulted in a disastrous year thus far 

just hope it goes better next time 

Honestly, I kinda do see it playing out that way, too.

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

So it’s just a run back again, we are pretty much locked in to what we have and what happens happens 

Not saying that's my preferred outcome.  But honestly expect that they like the roster they've assembled especially when looking at it with everyone nine months older.

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not saying that's my preferred outcome.  But honestly expect that they like the roster they've assembled especially when looking at it with everyone nine months older.

Right, im good with calling a spade a spade too. We just shouldn’t pretend there’s any kind of expectations. Cause there aren’t. The strategy is the strategy and it takes how long it takes.  Missing the playoffs 4 straight years doesn’t lead into a change in approach for next year, and like the post you quoted mentioned, it’ll likely be another 2 years until the roster is supposedly ready. If it’s not then, well, stay the course 

it is what it is at this point, it’s easier to give up the angst and choose apathy. Making it this year, taking till year 4 of your term, I would have said Adams did an ok job. Missing this year, if we do, ya..a strategy that takes 5 years to get a team in the playoffs isn’t a good one, regardless of if we made it next year. It’s not a situation where I’d think a GM particularly deserves credit. We already know it’s a lacking plan if we take until next year to make it, if we need till year 6 or whatever was implied, I mean…

totally on board w/ the thinking. Bad strategy, bad GM, but if it takes 6 years it takes 6 years. Or beyond. I drew my personal line at 5. It’s the time I’ve got for this regime. I’m barely watching this year as is: hopefully they can put it together for next year, that 5th one  

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Right, im good with calling a spade a spade too. We just shouldn’t pretend there’s any kind of expectations. Cause there aren’t. The strategy is the strategy and it takes how long it takes.  Missing the playoffs 4 straight years doesn’t lead into a change in approach for next year, and like the post you quoted mentioned, it’ll likely be another 2 years until the roster is supposedly ready. If it’s not then, well, stay the course 

it is what it is at this point, it’s easier to give up the angst and choose apathy. Making it this year, taking till year 4 of your term, I would have said Adams did an ok job. Missing this year, if we do, ya..a strategy that takes 5 years to get a team in the playoffs isn’t a good one, regardless of if we made it next year. It’s not a situation where I’d think a GM particularly deserves credit. We already know it’s a lacking plan if we take until next year to make it, if we need till year 6 or whatever was implied, I mean…

totally on board w/ the thinking. Bad strategy, bad GM, but if it takes 6 years it takes 6 years. Or beyond. I drew my personal line at 5. It’s the time I’ve got for this regime. I’m barely watching this year as is: hopefully they can put it together for next year, that 5th one  

Has anyone suggested that perhaps (like, tiny chance) GMKA had a multi-phased plan? Phase 1 was "wanna be here" and "stockpile". I am guessing KA is quite pleased with the potential he has achieved via his draft and stockpile approach. Perhaps now that he knows he has an actual abundance of prospects of a certain ilk at mostly the same positions, he will initiate Phase 2 ... turn prospects back into viable and meaningful pros?

I am grasping at straws here ... I know. I am glad we have a solid pipeline of prospects that are not in the NHL, but something about a bird in the hand being worth more that two in the bush and probably a few other proverbs about appreciating the here and now vs pining for a future that may or may not materialize.

Thanks for listening to my TedTalk, off to Target and then to drink some bourbon.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Wow.  Positive and up lifting comments.  Filled with hope and anticipation.  

Macaulay Culkin Reaction GIF by Laff

Edited by Pimlach

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.