Am I Starting to Lose Interest in the NHL?

CallawaySabres

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Even a handful of adjustments (if they are of a seriously legitimate nature) might look like a smorgasbord, relative to what we’ve seen from KA, should you be correct the moves get made.

…Wait, you are going to be at *thirty* games live in person, just this season?

…superfan, more like. 

Will be at at least 24.  Am on pace for over 30; will likely be somewhere between that.  Plus at least 3 other trips to the arena for other Sabres related events and likely 1 more.

(Like Hank Hill used to say: "that boy ain't right.")

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I would just say if you are losing interest in the NHL because of the Sabres you're not really a fan of hockey, you're just a fan of the local team. I'd suggest you go watch some other local sport. Bandits still a thing? Bills of course. Probably something else you could find.

If you love hockey though, there's lots of good hockey and I've seen many great games this year. Unfortunately only a handful of those were Sabres games. But the hockey? Most nights there's good if not great hockey easily found. 

To the bolded, you would be wrong.  Am finding other avenues to be a part of it, but the Sabres being what they are for so long just is killing the passion for watching others play it.

Get it that you're having fun getting to tell others that they aren't really a fan considering how many times you've heard that from others.  But, again, you would be wrong.  And we'll leave it at that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I would just say if you are losing interest in the NHL because of the Sabres you're not really a fan of hockey, you're just a fan of the local team. I'd suggest you go watch some other local sport. Bandits still a thing? Bills of course. Probably something else you could find.

If you love hockey though, there's lots of good hockey and I've seen many great games this year. Unfortunately only a handful of those were Sabres games. But the hockey? Most nights there's good if not great hockey easily found. 

I would say if you only like hockey because of the NHL you aren’t actually a hockey fan, you just like the NHL. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Will be at at least 24.  Am on pace for over 30; will likely be somewhere between that.  Plus at least 3 other trips to the arena for other Sabres related events and likely 1 more.

To the bolded, you would be wrong.  Am finding other avenues to be a part of it, but the Sabres being what they are for so long just is killing the passion for watching others play it.

Get it that you're having fun getting to tell others that they aren't really a fan considering how many times you've heard that from others.  But, again, you would be wrong.  And we'll leave it at that.

URGHHHH BOBBY!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I love the NHL.

I really hate what has been done to my Buffalo Sabres.

This, and thank you for saying it.

I to love hockey, but despise what the Sabres have become. I do enjoy watching the Kings and Avs (what can I say, I like it out west), so I still enjoy the sport.

I fully understand the original poster. It truly is a bummer when your teams stink. 

I dont know about you guys, but when the Sabres win it just makes the rest of my life seem easier. Menial tasks aren't so menial anymore. It's such a great feeling seeing your team win. 

And it always stinks when they lose. 12 years is a lifetime in hockey.  

Here's hoping the full and unquestioned rebuild actually works. I'll be ecstatic when it does  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I can't remember ever losing interest in the Bills, even during the 17 year drought. I don't even remember losing interest in the Sabres during the tank years because I always knew something really great was right around the corner. 

Coming into this year, i thought that the waiting was over and this was going to be step 1 to plenty of years of consistent playoffs. Here we are, halfway through the season, and I got nothin, I mean...nothin. Even if this team went on to win its last 10 games of the season, being a STH after all these years is beyond dead. I have obviously been extremely down on this team over the years, but the last few weeks are different. I will never watch the beginning of the game, and unless Buffalo is up by 2 goals, the tv does not go on at all.

How does one go from being one of the biggest fans that I know...to really just writing off the sport all-together? Maybe I haven't, but right now, this is new territory. I have 6 center ice tickets for the game on Friday and none of my kids even want to go. The last 3 games we have attended have not only been losses, but games where the team has been booed off the ice.

I fear that coaching is not the only issue with this group. What if all this talent that we thought was on the verge of being stars are just decent hockey players and are way further away than we think. That is a scary thought to me and if it truly is the case, it may be years until I am back. I love this city more than anything and the only two teams I have ever cared about in my life are the Bills and Sabres. 

I really hope that I am wrong, but something just isn't right with this group and I don't think coaching will solve all the issues. A coach should not be responsible for getting these guys heads right every other night. If that drive is not instilled in you as a player already, you will never get it to surface. Add more players around you will similar drive, this is what you get. This group has sucked all the fun out of watching for me and I never thought I would see the day where it just makes sense to shut them out. It's the only way I know I will not get frustrated, and I don't need that emotion if I can simply choose to shut it down.

Hell, I am the person that made Lincoln Station in Chicago a Buffalo bar. If this team can do that to me, what damage has it done to the casual fan.... Go Bills, Go Sabes

Maybe with the Bills comparison it's cause of the number of games, sheer burnout

And also how dominant football is nationally/media wise. quite a few of my friends are still big on hockey though (and the sabres), but that's probably cause we haven't had a decade plus adult years of disappointment.

Edited by lowsabre
-
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LTS said:

The casual fan is off doing other things. They'll chime in on how the Sabres suck but then they're off to other topics.

We are all here, all posting. Even if we don't watch the games, we show up here on a routine basis whether to try and spread optimism or to let loose our irritation of the performance of this team.

It's dark right now, real dark. It's hard. At some point it will get better... but JFC don't we all wish it was right now.

I follow this forum more than I do watch the games.  At least here there is discussion, I have probably missed half the games this year (if not half, then half of them I tuned in late or tuned out early).

Its just not fun to watch them.  Does that make me less than a Die-hard fan? Guess so. If I get more upset by watching something than I do get enjoyment out of it, I'm simply not going to watch it much. The Sabres, I'm there now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Regular season, this applies. When the playoffs start though, I love the sport again. The Sabres are the ones that have ruined the regular season for me for years.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m going to argue the OP is on to something but it’s just not because of the Sabres.  

They're a big part of it sure.  

But really, the league is just full of the same player playing the same game doing the same things.  

I couldn’t tell you the “identity” of 75 percent of the league.  I’m not sure what that even means anymore.  

And to me, that’s what’s stale.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m in the Buffalo tv market (ROC) and carry spectrum cable for the sole purpose of watching the Sabres.  I still watch every game and attend a few. I will shut it off and find something else to do if the result looks bleak. That’s new for me…my teen and 20-something fandom wouldn’t have allowed for that (I’m 44). 

My media and viewing habits revolve solely on sports.  I haven’t missed a Bills game since I was a kid. I watch every available minute of Virginia Tech football. I regularly go to Amerks and Knighthawks games. I used to pirate Red Sox games four times a week.

And bar none, I care most about the Sabres franchise above all else. I think about this team everyday and this site is one of my first stops daily.

But I’ve been beaten down over time. I loved hockey so much I used to get center ice and watch the league every single night. Not anymore.  

It is so frustrating rooting for a perennial loser. I could never quit the Sabres or hockey, but I would also never criticize someone for doing exactly that.  It has been maddening in Sabrehood for far too long. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let me tell you a secret , it works the other way as well

i was a huge blue jay and baseball fan. 
I remember where I was when 85 when George Bell caught the pop fly in left field to clinch their first division right through to Joe carters series winning HR in 93 

I can name every single blue jay from the George Bell led Jays to the back to back World Series champs. 

I think I paid attention through to the strike year in 94 but when they came back I still watched and paid attention but not like i did prior.  
 Every year i paid attention less, till today where I don't pay attention at all

i could probably name 2 or 3 blue jays and maybe 10 ball players in total

same thing with the Raptors. Paid attention, went to many games. Saw them reach the pinnacle and now barely watch. Never a huge NBA guy but I know much less about the league than I did 4 or 5 years ago 

same thing for TFC.   Was a season ticket holder.  Again fan of the team more than the league but saw them win the title and now barely watch 

Hockey and Football have always been my fav sports , so I think I would still stick with  it.  Would be great to see the Bills and Sabres win to see if I have the same reaction

Though, i can honestly say the Sabres disappointing year has led me to stop watching games not involving them and  looking at the standings    Hell , I don't even look at talkathon lol 

This season is by far the biggest gut punch. This year was the year we were supposed to start some sort of positive trajectory and we didn’t. 

In regards to the NFL, it’s just easier. It’s a couple months and you reserve Sunday at 1pm. You almost never have conflict.

Hockey you have City Council meetings, or kids TKD practice. Maybe a date night with the misses or a work event. It’s unpredictable. Different days and different times. When your team is bad it takes a lot of effort to carve out time for every game. 

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m in the Buffalo tv market (ROC) and carry spectrum cable for the sole purpose of watching the Sabres.  I still watch every game and attend a few. I will shut it off and find something else to do if the result looks bleak. That’s new for me…my teen and 20-something fandom wouldn’t have allowed for that (I’m 44). 

My media and viewing habits revolve solely on sports.  I haven’t missed a Bills game since I was a kid. I watch every available minute of Virginia Tech football. I regularly go to Amerks and Knighthawks games. I used to pirate Red Sox games four times a week.

And bar none, I care most about the Sabres franchise above all else. I think about this team everyday and this site is one of my first stops daily.

But I’ve been beaten down over time. I loved hockey so much I used to get center ice and watch the league every single night. Not anymore.  

It is so frustrating rooting for a perennial loser. I could never quit the Sabres or hockey, but I would also never criticize someone for doing exactly that.  It has been maddening in Sabrehood for far too long. 

So much of this resonates for me.  Never will quit watching, but definitely found myself turning off in the second or third period more than I recall.  I enjoy the Bills games so much more these days.  Partly because in So Cal, there is no consensus team.  In my circle I have Packer, Raider, Cowboys, Broncos, Dolphin and Patriots fans, so always a meetup or conversation or trash talking before, during or after they play. Partly because my son is a Josh Allen fan, and is interested in watching with me. And obviously the product itself is so much better. I usually take him to the Sabres/Ducks games but it’s more him humoring his old man.  He almost never watches a game on TV.  Even the west coast road trip that start at 7pm local.  The Sabres also keep me connected to my father and brother who reside in WNY.  I FaceTime them between periods when they watch together.  
    I’ll watch at least three other NHL games a week besides the Sabres, so my interest in the sport hasn’t waned.  Tonight was Colorado vs Vegas.  I dream of how a real GM with foresight and some luck could take our roster and turn it into a group like the Avalanche.  When the Sabres are eliminated from playoff contention I’ll turn to MLB and the Yankees.  And as for SS, I agree with other posters.  I appreciate the insight, opinion and camaraderie of the group.  Not a social media person so I rely on this place for news and information about the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

I love hockey primarily because I love the Sabres. It’s fun to watch the occasional game but the true passion for the product, the best memories, the reason when it comes down to it that I watch at all.. it all comes back to my rooting interest in the Buffalo Sabres, rather than specifically being enamoured by the game itself.

And I’m not from Buffalo. Have never even been, so not a local team thing 

Well that's fair so maybe it's a Canadian thing. Just love the game, period. I watch hockey just about every night and sometimes 3 games in the same night plus highlights. Played the game and watched it all my life. Don't like the current era as much as I did the 70's but it has new and different charms. If the Sabres folded tomorrow I'd still watch hockey all the time. Probably more Kraken. 

I've pretty much lost my love for football, but I will be watching some playoffs (hope it snows). 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

I actually hadn't thought of that but good point. 

I kind of just mean there's love of hockey, and then there's love of your chosen team(s) and imo those are two separate things. My favourite hockey of all is the Olympics if the NHL is there or the Canada Cup and in those the Sabres can be spread around all over as friends and foes. Hope to see something like that again soon. 

Bettman has progressively made the league more corporate, less fun and less interesting.

I could’ve endured that.

But then Terry came along and destroyed the Sabres franchise (apparently, by most accounts, in a perfectly well-meaning way).

I am pretty much done at this point and would not be too bothered if the team was sold and moved.  The product is terrible and the fans are being punished for their patience.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I can't remember ever losing interest in the Bills, even during the 17 year drought. I don't even remember losing interest in the Sabres during the tank years because I always knew something really great was right around the corner. 

Coming into this year, i thought that the waiting was over and this was going to be step 1 to plenty of years of consistent playoffs. Here we are, halfway through the season, and I got nothin, I mean...nothin. Even if this team went on to win its last 10 games of the season, being a STH after all these years is beyond dead. I have obviously been extremely down on this team over the years, but the last few weeks are different. I will never watch the beginning of the game, and unless Buffalo is up by 2 goals, the tv does not go on at all.

How does one go from being one of the biggest fans that I know...to really just writing off the sport all-together? Maybe I haven't, but right now, this is new territory. I have 6 center ice tickets for the game on Friday and none of my kids even want to go. The last 3 games we have attended have not only been losses, but games where the team has been booed off the ice.

I fear that coaching is not the only issue with this group. What if all this talent that we thought was on the verge of being stars are just decent hockey players and are way further away than we think. That is a scary thought to me and if it truly is the case, it may be years until I am back. I love this city more than anything and the only two teams I have ever cared about in my life are the Bills and Sabres. 

I really hope that I am wrong, but something just isn't right with this group and I don't think coaching will solve all the issues. A coach should not be responsible for getting these guys heads right every other night. If that drive is not instilled in you as a player already, you will never get it to surface. Add more players around you will similar drive, this is what you get. This group has sucked all the fun out of watching for me and I never thought I would see the day where it just makes sense to shut them out. It's the only way I know I will not get frustrated, and I don't need that emotion if I can simply choose to shut it down.

Hell, I am the person that made Lincoln Station in Chicago a Buffalo bar. If this team can do that to me, what damage has it done to the casual fan.... Go Bills, Go Sabes

You sound strangely like Ryan O'Reilly. Pegula's ineptitude, disappearance, and silence have metastasized the cancer.

38 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

You sound strangely like Ryan O'Reilly. Pegula's ineptitude, disappearance, and silence have metastasized the cancer.

*****, the gig is up. Now you all finally know how I knew everything about the Ryan O'Reilly trade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Weave said:

For most of the last era I told myself that I would become a fervent fan again when the team became relevant again.  I don’t know.

I was a fervent Bills fan until about the 6-7 yr mark of irrelevance.  They have been a top team for what, 4 seasons now?  I don’t make a point of staying up to watch the prime time games.  It’s not important to me anymore. Not even the ones that are truly meaningful.  I check the score first thing in the morning.

So, I don’t know.  I don’t know if it grows back, or if reprioritizing is long term.  I suspect the latter.

This is pretty much were I am too.

The Dark Armies

Now have come,

The Sabres cling to 41...

Will they lose, or will they win?

Waited for the season to begin.

NOW you are out? 

Or are you ALL IN? 

These guys are workers doing their jobs against some of the other greatest.  They just don't share the same fortune of winning franchises. 

The Dark Armies

Now have come,

The Sabres cling to 41...

Will they lose, or will they win?

Waited for the season to begin.

NOW you are out? 

Or are you ALL IN? 

These guys are workers doing their jobs against some of the other greatest.  They just don't share the same fortune of winning franchises. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.