GDT: Sabres @ Pens - Sat. 7 pm ET, Jan 6, 2024 MSG-B, SN-PIT, ESPN+ ๐Ÿ“บ WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

Spoonman

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

There were a few periods when the Sabres just couldn't clear the zone, but to their credit, neither did they lose their defensive structure in the zone.ย  As far as all three pairs being solid, I think one way to protect them is to play aggressive offensively, as in make that long outlet pass.ย  I think with their "focus on defense" earlier this year, all three forwards were staying closer in, and those "passes" turned into icings, or into weaker passes (i.e., didn't want to ice it) that were intercepted.ย  The aggressive counterstrike offense actually is a good defensive tactic.ย  Now that they're back to run & gun we're seeing that.

The not being able to clear the zone was mentioned by one of the commentators. He pointed out that because they struggled to get the puck out of their zone, the unit ended being out too long. It made it even more difficult to keep up with the Pitt offense. We were very fortunate that UPL held the fort while it was under siege. As you noted, the Sabres didn't panic, even when they were being dominated. We were both fortunate to win and it was a good win. Hopefully, we can build on this win during our homestand.ย 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The not being able to clear the zone was mentioned by one of the commentators. He pointed out that because they struggled to get the puck out of their zone, the unit ended being out too long. It made it even more difficult to keep up with the Pitt offense. We were very fortunate that UPL held the fort while it was under siege. As you noted, the Sabres didn't panic, even when they were being dominated. We were both fortunate to win and it was a good win. Hopefully, we can build on this win during our homestand.ย 

I've said this for years! The absolute worst team in the NHL when it comes to clearing their offensive zone!

UPL played great tonight and got enough support to help him as well. It was the proper way of skaters and goalie helping one another.ย 
ย 

Video coaches should get a Sabre to for those reviews.ย 

Muel and Clifton seem to work pretty well together.ย 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Most of that occurred in 1st and when Pens were late trying to push for a tie... second and early in third it was much better.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Most of that occurred in 1st and when Pens were late trying to push for a tie... second and early in third it was much better.

This is true, but the Sabres still gave up 45 shots on goals including 10 HDC. Sabres lose this game but for the video replays and UPLโ€™s excellent play. ย 

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is true, but the Sabres still gave up 45 shots on goals including 10 HDC. Sabres lose this game but for the video replays and UPLโ€™s excellent play. ย 

Maybe... still each of those vid replays were legit...

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

A dollar?

Cheap bastard couldn't even fork over a large Timmy hoes and a cinny bun?

Don't knock it. Dollar bets got us through the tank and subsequent decade of having to watch Sabres hockey.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

WTF does this mean? By the rules, those weren't goals. Period.

That touch pass by Crosby, though,โ€ฆ good god, what a thing of beauty. Sucks for him he was offside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Definitely not the game I expected to see tonight. UPL? I mean he's had good games in the past. He's incredibly inconsistent. This time he was pretty good. tbh Pittsburgh looked a lot flatter than they did against Boston the other night but there was some solid play by the Sabres at times. Overall low event game though. Didn't come off as two teams wanting to get into the playoffs but you can't complain. They found a way.ย 

Refs sucked but I think both fanbases would say that. The goaltender interference call was weak and so was the 2 penalties at once so I think it evens out.ย 

Okay, surprise me next game Sabres. You're a team I definitely do not understand.ย 

• Like (+1) 2

Haven't read the comments. My thoughts:ย 

We won two in a row!

We did not deserve to win except for the fact that we were looonnnngg overdue to have one of our goalies legit steal a game and UPL did that.

For the first time in a long time officiating seemed tilted in our favour.

The first period was trash despite the goal.ย 

The Penguins schooled us on playing "aggressive" - hope our guys were paying attention.ย 

I think I saw a flicker of an attempt to actually create some net-front presence in the face of an aggressive full-team defense.ย 

I'd like to think they would take the mojo from this game and run with it, going on a little win streak without the epic losing streak following it.

Clifton has been playing really well lately.

Even Krebs looked like an NHL-er for a lot of the game.

Who else is surprised Mule hasn't gone on LTIR after the past few games?

Blocked shots - the quantity and quality is new since after Christmas. Where'd that come from?

Edited by ...
yay team
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ... said:

Looks like he:ย 

Took a hit to the eye.

Has a cold.

Has at least one young child.

He definitely looks like he's miserable but happy to get the win.ย  I'm glad they've got a couple days off before the homestand so hopefully he'll be fully recovered.

Edited by Doohickie

15 minutes ago, ... said:

Looks like he:ย 

Took a hit to the eye.

Has a cold.

Has at least one young child.

Per the bold, thatโ€™s why we need a six game road trip instead of a six game home stand. Tuch and Thompson wonโ€™t be getting much sleep over the next six games. That legit worries me.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, thatโ€™s why we need a six game road trip instead of a six game home stand. Tuch and Thompson wonโ€™t be getting much sleep over the next six games. That legit worries me.

They should stay over at Casey's house for a coupla weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Might not have been pretty but they got it done. Z and ER crashing the net and getting a dirty goal, ones they need more of. Dahlin with another amazing long shot into an empty net...this one a laser past a diving goalie that was heading to the bench and tried to turn around and get back once it got turned over.

Sabres extend their record going back to the start of last season at least of not losing in regulation when the enter the 3rd period with a lead.

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 1

Sorry late question here. I watched the game but didnโ€™t have sound available. What was the call that gave Pittsburgh an immediate 5 on 3 powerplay? I Cant remember last time Iโ€™d seen a team get two different penalties simultaneously. And of course the Penguins score.ย 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.